Search

Kapama Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kapama Honeymoon

Bridezilla here again. My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon safari and have been struggling with our TA.
Originally, one leg of our safari tour included a stay in Hamilton's Tented Camp, but because it's full, she is now offering Kapama Game Reserve (Main Lodge). I know it's a private reserve and was wondering if anyone who has been there can tell me the pros and cons of staying outside of Kruger and tell me their experience at Kapama. I'm afraid it'll be a zoo-like experience. Help!
This is the same TA that said September in SA required winter coats!
This travel planning is really bringing out the bridezilla in me!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

topping!
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

I insist.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 12:59 AM

bridezilla,

I believe you are going in mid September, correct?

I was at Simbambili in the Sabi Sand last year at the exact same time and enjoyed excellent leopard and rhino viewing. The overall diversity was a bit lacking but for the thrill of the leopards and rhinos, it was a great tradeoff. That is not to say that I did not see lions, hyenas, cheetah, elephants, giraffes, zebras and more...just that the most prominent gameviewing highlights featured leopards and rhinos but given that these two are so hard to come by in other places, it was a real treat.

The accomodations are definitely honeymoon worthy and the food, hosting and guiding was all outstanding.

www.simbambiligamelodge.co.za

However, another good option given the time of year you are visiting, would be Sabi Sabi which is one of the few Sabi Sand lodges to extend low season rates through September. A stay at Sabi Sabi Selati or Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge should offer very good gameviewing in a more central part of the Sabi Sand.

I have briefly looked over Kapama and it would not be a property that I would consider using for any of my clients who were honeymooners. There are 70 beds and none of the properties are especially upscale. If your budget allows it, I would advise you to request the Sabi Sand Game Reserve.

You may need to put on your own TA hat and find a lodge that works well for you. I would advise you to search first for Sabi Sand lodges and then possibly extend your search to lodges in Timbavati Private Game Reserve, Kruger National Park, and Madikwe Private Game Reserve, looking for luxury lodges offering low season pricing in September.

As far as staying outside of Kruger being a zoo like experience, I have never felt that my Sabi Sand safaris were like this. If anything, I would be more concerned with staying in Kruger NP, open to day visitors and self-drivers, than I would be concerned about staying in a private game reserve.

It is unfortunate that your TA is not providing you with better service for such an important trip as your honeymoon...you should be able to concentrate on your wedding planning instead of worrying about the honeymoon.

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rocco. And thanks for topping the other thread.
Here's the deal. We're doing a Kuoni package tour. The other options we were given in our price range for our safari were hamiltons (full), exeter dulini (full) and exeter river lodge (full). We have no choice but Kapama at this point.
We've gone way past our budget (10,500 euros, we live in Italy, for the both of us) as it is! Our tour will also feature vic falls, cape town and mauritius.
rocco, i very much enjoyed your pics and trip report!! i can't wait to post mine!! i'm a newbie.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 05:51 AM
santharamhari

Bridezilla,

You should find better game-viewing options within your specified budget. Chitwa Chitwa, Elephant plains, Djuma.....i think the game viewing at any of these private reserves in the Sabi Sands should be better than Kapama. I don't know the prices of these camps i listed, although i think they are cheaper.

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:00 AM

Bridezilla,

Hari is correct. Request a substitute of Chitwa Chitwa to start and then if not successful, then ask for Elephant Plains in a luxury room. Is there a link to the package you have purchased? This would be helpful.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Is Kapama really that bad?!

I have a pdf file of the lodges on offer, but i don't know how to attach that here. The link would be pretty useless because the website is in Italian.

At any rate, I've looked more closely and another sabi sands accomodation they offer is lion sands. they also mention edeni, timbavati, thornybush, imbali and tinga. i don't know if all those are in my price range, though. they also mention singita and sabi sabi, but unfortunately those are too expensive.

i'll ask about my TA about the options you mentioned.