How far out to book for Namibia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of a 3-week self-drive tour of Namibia during the last 3 weeks of June. Namibia's been on my list, but I didn't seriously consider it until, on a whim, I called up UAL to check on award ticket availability, and discovered that there were indeed tickets available.

So, how far in advance does one need to book for Namibia? "As far out as possible," is usually the answer, but how likely are accommodations to be booked up 6 months out? I'm just starting to wrap my head around the idea of going vs. other options I had planned out.

Here's a prospective itinerary from my advanced planning spreadsheet:

SFO to JFK to IAD to JNB (Only routing for an award on this date)
JNB to WDH
Windhoek Heinitzburg Hotel
Sossusvlei Kulala Desert Lodge
Sossusvlei Kulala Desert Lodge
Namib-Nakluft Wolwedans Dunes Camp
Namib-Nakluft Wolwedans Dunes Camp
Swakopmund Hansa Hotel
Swakopmund Hansa Hotel
Damaraland Palmwag Lodge
Damaraland Palmwag Rhino Camp
Damaraland Palmwag Rhino Camp
Etosha Okaukuejo Camp
Etosha Okaukuejo Camp
Etosha Namutoni Camp
Etosha Namutoni Camp
Okonjima Okonjima Main Lodge
Okonjima Okonjima Main Lodge
Windhoek Heinitzburg Hotel
WDH to JNB
JNB to IAD to SFO

Estimated budget comes out to around $5500 including airfare (JNB/WDH), car rental, lodgings, and major activities. This is for one person traveling solo.

I'm not sure I'll pull the trigger on this one, as I have a friend that wants to go with me but can't this year. But, I'm very, very tempted.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:16 PM
santharamhari

For June 2007, i would say start booking right away. All countries in Africa seem to be getting more and more popular.......

You do hv a couple of popular camps on your list.....

I have never been to Namibia, so cant comment on your itinerary....

Hari

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:21 PM

I recently returned from a trip to Namibia and visited all of the areas you have on your itinerary. It is an outstanding line-up of lodges & destinations. You will have a great time -- go for it! The folks at namibian.org were very helpful in planning my journey.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:16 PM
DJE

lifelist,

I would definitely think about making bookings as soon as possible as Namibia is becoming a more desirable African destination. We did a driving trip this past June for 3 weeks and then flew into the Skeleton Coast and Serra Cafema for another week and the whole trip was just wonderful. There is quite a bit of diversity within the country and of course the varied landscapes are phenomenal.

Our planning started almost a year ahead of time just to make sure we got the lodges/camps etc. that we wanted to stay in. The Heinitzburg and the Hansa Hotels were on our list and we found these accommodations very comfortable.

Good luck with your planning.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 05:17 AM

I visited Namibia in August 2002, and I had a bit of difficulty, at least initially, securing lodging at Okaujuejo (in Etosha), for my desired dates (the dates eventually "cleared&quot. I also stayed at Heinitzburg, and you shouldn't have a problem.

But, the Wilderness camps fill up quickly, and you may not be able to get them to lay out as you desire.

I worked with Cardboard Box and they were very, very helpful (same as namibian.org in MisterAviator's post).

But, there's no advantage in waiting to reserve, so you might as well start now. But, get the airfare (that's the most difficult part).

Namibia is a great destination.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 05:18 AM

I also stayed at Ongava, the Wilderess camp outside Etosha, and I much preferred Okaukuejo (a tenth of the price and 10x the game viewing).
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 09:02 AM

I say go for it! If only because I'd love to hear a report of Wolwedans Dunes Camp before we go in September

FWIW, I just booked all of our accomodations this week for next September and had no trouble getting the exact dates and lodges/camps we wanted. However, we're not staying at any WS camps or Etosha restcamps which I gather from reading may be more difficult to secure, and overall the properties you selected seem to be more popular than the ones we picked.

I contacted Cardboard Box (though I didn't end up booking with them) and they were very prompt in responding.

I decided to self book and every place I contacted confirmed availability within 24 hours, but I believe you'll need to go through an agent for the WS camps and I don't know anything about the ease or difficulty of self booking the rest camps.

Good luck!
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Well, I'm not too worried about getting the exact camps I listed. That's just a prospective itinerary. I'm even considering camping at Sesriem Campsite rather than doing Kulala. I think the only two camps I'd really want to do would be the Palmwag Rhino Camp and the rest camps in Etosha, and the rest camps choice is mainly about budget and access to the park.

So, it sounds like I can take a couple of weeks to think about this, but not much longer. The airline flights using miles are more pressing issues, so I'll have to think hard.

My other options for next summer include a rafting trip in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge or maybe doing Svalbard, Norway on a cruise ship. So, I won't be stuck at home if I decide to go another way.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 05:17 AM

<b>Patty</b>

So that's where your accountant sent you--Namibia. Could you tell me who you booked with? If you wish to email me, that's fine. Thank you and I'll look forward to your report when you return.

Lifelist, your trip looks great.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Hi Lynn,
I booked our accomodations directly with the lodges and camps where we'll be staying and reserved our car through Hertz. We'll be self driving. When are you planning to go to Namibia?