Search

Honeymoon Safari

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Safari

Hi hope someone out there can help me!! Looking to spend 4 or so days (will this be enough?) in South Africa (Kruger NP) at one of the private game reserves followed by a week or so in Mauritius.

Seems to be loads of lodges etc to choose from. I do however like the sound of a tented camp. So far I've identified the following

Ngala Tented
Tanda Tula
Hamiltons
Honeyguide.

Can anyone offer any views on any of the above as not sure which to go for. Most travel brochures I have don't include them so I don't even have a star rating to compare on. Also are we more likely to see game at any particular one etc.

I also like Richard Bransons place but thats not tented!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:58 PM
sandi

rforce1 - First suggestion - do not post more than one message if it's the same topic. It would be better to simply go back into your original "honeymoon" post and add additional information as you did here with names of lodges and questions. This way, everything will be in the same place and you won't have to check separate posts.

Time of year, total number of days and your budget would probably be the deciding factor on where you choose to stay and for how long. My preference it tented camps as I feel it's a truer safari experience, however, some of the lodges are wonderful and are good choices. We've stayed in both.

But with the tent camps you've listed along with mentioning Ulusaba, you're jumping all over the place with prices. We stayed at Honeyguide and loved it, but in relation to price it was much less then say Ngala would be, and certainly less then Ulusaba. And the locations are different. Some are on private reserves, others inside Kruger. And when we visited, we went from relatively inexpensive Honeyguide to very very very expensive Singita. So you'll have some serious decisions to make.

Ideally, 3-days at each camp would be best, but many people do 2-days, depending on the amount of time they have and their budget, and considering transfers between two different locations.

I would suggest, since it's difficult to find one brochure/book with all properties listed, you look at the following site where you can get descriptions of the various camps/lodges:

www.e-gnu.com

and check with them for prices for the time of year you're planning your honeymoon.

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sandi

Thanks for this. I posted 2 seperate ones as one focused on accomodation in South Africa and the other on Mauritius -I actually attached them to the individual countries but see now if you lok at the whole of the africa and middle east section you see both - I'm a novice at these forums!!

The other problem I have is on price as i have no idea how each rank at the moment they are just places to me! - I'll take a look at that website today. Thanks for the tip

It terms of location you say some are on private reserves and others on Kruger - which would be better?

(As you can probably see quite confused and getting no help from the future husband!!!)

Gotta get to work. Thanks for your help

Rachel
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 05:28 AM
sandi

rforce1 -

Since this is your first safari, I would suggest you work with a tour operator who can give you current prices and availability, arrange transfers between areas, handle your Mauritius stay and answer your specific questions.

There are a number of in-country SA operators you might want to contact and who have received good reviews from posters on this board:

www.tagasafaris.co.za (Taga Safaris)
www.go2africa.com (Go2Africa)
www.africansafari.co.za (Pulse Tours)

Hope this helps.

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 11:54 AM

rforce1:

My husband and I just returned from a two-night stay at Tanda Tula. As it was our first safari trip, I can only comment on Tanda Tula and will not be able to compare the other tented camps on your list. The accomodation was great and service was wonderful. We saw four of the big five (missed the leopard) plus loads of other animals. We picked a tented safari because I was intrigued by the idea and my expectations were met in every way. Tanda Tula was recommended to us by a Cape Town-based tour operator who is also a friend's friend. I believe it's a mid-range reserve in terms of cost, but I really didn't do much shopping around before I booked. I picked up a booklet at Tanda Tula that lists the rates and ammenities at many luxury lodges in South Africa, you may want to check out the website at www.getaways.co.za.

Hope you have a great time!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Rachel, Did you end up being satisfied with your trip? I am honeymooning in July 2007 and do not know how many days to reserve for safari and if it will be worth flying over to an island like Mauritus.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Moonininjuly...I have been helping some friends fix a honeymoon in June, similar by the sounds of it to yours.

They will do four nights at Little Buch Camp Sabi Sabi, then depart on a short flight to Kruger Airport, followed by a connection to Vilanculos before arriving at Indigo Bay in Mozambique for four nights. They then return directly to JNB from Indigo and head home.

The reason we decided on the four day split was predicated on their ten day window to travel and the frequency of flights to Vilanculos and of course the costs.

Initially they had thought of Mauritiu, but after looking at the flights schedule too much time was wasted in the air to make it the type of honeymoon they had hoped for.

Hope that helps you?
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Rforce: Did you regret not spending more days on safari? Were you happy with the week on the island? Where did you stay? What made you decide to recommend Mozambique over Mauritus? I have heard good things about Honeyguide. How did you choose Little Buch? Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:45 PM

been to southafrica three times .malamala is the best game lodge hands down .first time we saw more leopards .if you want quality game viewing and quality service thats the place.