Help with Pyramid View Hotel - Mena House or Le Meridien

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - I need help with choice of hotel. I'm planning this tour for 14 nights in Egypt. The first 4 nights are in Cairo - I'm trying to decide between the Mena House Oberoi or the Le Meridien. I'm working with Richard at Global Gate Tours and he advises me that they have just started renovations at the Mena House Oberoi and that he would recommend staying across the street at the Le Meridien. He says the rooms are much nicer at the Le Meridien and we can have a pyramid view room for what a garden view room will cost at the Mena House - plus - he says the rooms are shabby at the Mena House and they are newly renovated at the Le Meridien. We're going in February and he says we will be gone from early morning until dusk with sightseeing and it's not worth the cost of upgrading to a pyramid view room at the Mena House - since we won't be there much during the day to enjoy the view. The cost he gave me per person to upgrade to a pyramid view room at the Mena House was about $280 more per person. This is probably our only trip to Egypt and I don't want to regret not spending the money to have a pyramid view room - but he says the Le Meridien is nicer and we get the pyramid view for the same price as a garden view at the Mena House. I need opinions from people who have stayed there. Thanks
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Haven't stayed at either hotel.

Can comment on your agents thoughts:
- Last place I ever want to be is in hotel where construction or refurbishing is going on.
- You don't know how early in the day they start work, or how late in the day.
- You don't know whether they close off rooms around those being refurbished so no one is even close to the project.
- You will be out all day, so not much view, except for first in morning or sunset
- Last I heard from friends, most rooms were shabby; the "view rooms" a bit better, but needed work, which they seem to be getting around to doing.
- I pay for lux at most destinations, but with this many negatives, I probably wouldn't.

See what comments others have about Le Meridien.

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM

We stayed at the Mena House last February and had a Pyramid view room. The Mena House was undergoing heavy renovation at that time. We had a premium room and it was not all that grand. The rooms facing the pyramids are off of the street side and are much quieter than those facing the street. I would be more interested in a room off the street than anything else. The volume of traffic is high and it is noisy all night long.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:30 PM

What I want to know is if this Richard guy has ever been to Egypt? If he had he should know that the Le Meridian is NO WHERE near "across the street" from the Mena House.

Your best bet is the Le Meridian, but don't expect to be "across the street" from the pyramids or the Mena House. It's a serious walk away from anything of interest.

Personally, I would choose to NOT even stay out in that neighborhood if I could avoid it. The pyramids area is NOT high rent district and the only nice things out there are these two hotels and the pyramids. There are much better hotels to stay in nearer to the city if you can live with a Nile view instead of a pyramid view. The best one being the Cairo Marriott. The area that hotel is in far surpasses the advantages of looking out your window at the pyramids. At the Marriott you can actually feel safe and comfortable leaving the grounds of your hotel for a meal or for some general wandering and shopping. The area around the Marriott is full of diplomats and foreigners of all sorts so you aren't looked at as a walking wallet or an oddity if you leave your hotel which makes it nice. At the Mena House or the Le Meridian it is just the opposite. The minute you leave your hotel you are marked as a tourist IE Walking Wallet.

Having said all that, if you still really want to wake up to see the pyramids, stay at the Le Meridian until the Mena House is done. They will even be closing their pool later this month, so they say, and it won't reopen for some time.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Debbie for your input. I will check with Richard about staying at the Marriott. These are the kind of things I need to know - since I have never been to Egypt. Also , I notice that you offer Egyptian cooking lessons. What is Egyptian food like?
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Egyptian food is great - just ask any Egyptian.

Actually, ask any tourist that got out and ate any of the food. It really is very good.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 07:49 AM

<<he says the rooms are shabby at the Mena House and they are newly renovated at the Le Meridien>>

I just returned from Egypt and stayed at the Mena House. Our room was beautiful -- far, far from shabby -- obviously recently renovated since it was pristine -- not even a tiny mark on any wall.

We had a balcony facing the street side and there was absolutely no noise! -- until we opened the door and stepped onto the balcony, so they must have used double-glazed glass. We could see the pyramids from the gardens, but not from the room. I don't think they have "just started" renovations, more likely they are close to completion. Everyone in our group had lovely rooms.

My seat partner flying back from Cairo had stayed at the Marriott and loved it. I don't know anything about the Le Meridien.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM

I stayed at the Meridien last March. It was nice, I didn't have a Pyramid view though. It is a few blocks further away than the Mena House. With so many touts around, it's not a pleasant walk, we even took a taxi to the Mena House for lunch one day. I liked the Meridien, but I believe the Mena House is a class above it. Mena House is much more elegant, thus the extra $280 a night. The Meridien has a nice pool where you can see the Pyramids while swimming. There was also an overlook at the end of the hall where we could see them from. The Pyramids aren't lighted throughout the night so if you're never there during the day you won't be able to see much of them. Hope that helps.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM

I'm really interested in all the comments about Mena House - we're booked in for 4 + 1 nights in January for a Pyramids View room.

I can live without the pool but am concerned about the incredible dichotomy of experiences at Mena House - I'm encouraged to read of Luisah's experience - I guess I'll just have to make sure we get a renovated room. We're also spending 4 nights on the Oberoi Philae - hopefully that will help with our stay at the Mena House.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 07:01 AM

On Trip Advisor someone posted a reply from Mena House regarding the pool closure wherein hotel management says the pool will not be closed.....

##Greetings from The Oberoi Hotels and Resorts, Egypt.
Thank you for your email dated 09th November 2007.
We are pleased to respond to your request as follows:
Please be informed that the pool will NOT be closed during the renovation.
Mena House Oberoi is being renovated in a phased manner. We shall endeavor to minimize disturbance for our guests. The renovation work will commence at 10:00 am and shall end at 5:00 pm. Mena House comprises of 120 rooms in the Palace and 380 rooms in the Mena Garden hotel. Mena Garden has five different buildings connected to each other. The work will be carried out in one building at a time.
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. We look forward to welcoming you to The Oberoi Hotels and Resorts, Egypt.
Thank you.
Kind regards.
Ismail Shoukry
Central Reservation
Regional Sales & Marketing
Oberoi Hotels & Resorts - Egypt
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 06:32 PM

We stayed at the Mena House last summer and actually received a discount due to the "renovations". Frankly never saw anything or heard anything. Anyone considering a stay in the pyramids area should consider the Mena House as it is very close to the Pyramids. I would be concerned about Richard's knowledge of Giza area because as Debbie of Casual Cairo states no way "across the street". If you like old world type of hotel with history Mena House is it and for us clearly staying in the older area was worth the extra money; however many garden rooms seemed to have pyramid view rooms. Don't really know about the pool but the recent post with statement from Mr. Shoukry seems pretty certain it will not be closed and if he is putting that in writing on Trip Advisor I would believe it. I personally booked our room with him and he was very specific in meeting all of our requests. If on the other hand a more modern type hotel is more to your liking the Meridien has a good spot too and many people really like it....I don't think there is good or bad here just difference atmospheres. As for staying in the center yes the Marriott is in a great location and you are not restricted in choice of restaurants. Good luck.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM

cheriegal: My friend and I took the cooking lessons Debbie arranges, and it was great fun. Debbie asked us what we wanted to learn, and we requested koshari, which was wonderful, and we have both used it for company since we've returned home, to raves. We also made a hummus dip (which I normally don't like but this was tasty), green salad and home-made dressings, and a to-die-for rice pudding.

It was a fun evening, our husbands watching tv in the family room, and then all of us enjoying the meal in the hostess/cooking-instructor's dining room.

Old Nov 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM

Eve - This is really good news that you are really cooking the Kosheri still for company and everyone is enjoying it. Vivian will be delighted to hear this too. I'll let her know.

Actually we just taught the exact same menu to more people from Colorado last week. Colorado - look out - someone is going to open a Kosheri stand soon. Ha Ha Ha

And the "humus" dish was tahina or babaganoush instead of humus.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 07:18 AM

First, to all that commented on our travel plans, THANK YOU. Trip was great. Just returned 11/18/2007 and stayed at Mena House where renovations are underway in one Garden building. There was "no problem." All was as stated in message from manager that appeared elsewhere. Thought Mena House was excellent place to stay for 3 nights and view of prymids was good from our room but can only see one of them clearly. A visit to pool area will provide good view of two and should be done. Be aware that not all rooms will have a clear view and pyramids are lite at night but not continuously. Best lighting was after 9PM. Still nice to see every evening. Also, did the Oberoi Philae and didn't get any points for having stayed at Mena House. Please make every effort to obtain a room above first level of boat if you have any plans on sleeping. Noise and vibration on board from engines is far more than it needs to be. BUT, having said that, everything else was great. Food, service and general attitude of staff. Enjoy!
Also spent two nights at Cairo Marriott and concur with Debbie that it is wonderful place to use as a base to meander around Nile River without concern. Traffic is a bear so be alert!
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Oh, yes, Debbie--that's right--it was tahina.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Well, you've aroused my curiosity. What is the difference between tahina and humus? I thought it was the same.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Is tahina the same as tahini? The latter is an ingredient in hummus (I think).

wlbjohn - we're scheduled on the Oberoi Philae in January - I'll ask for a level above the first level - do you have specific room numbers to recommend? Thanks.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Tahina/Tahini - made from sesame seeds

Hummus - made from chick peas/garbanzo beans
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:13 AM

Thank you.