Help w/ Internet Photo Shipment

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big Problem for me. We urchased $5000 worth of photo equipment from Butterfly Photo in NY for our up and coming safari. They shipped Fed Ex. Package arrived torn, 1/2 open and with $1200 lens missing etc. Was left by delivery man who had receptionist sign for it and told her that signing for it did not waive rights to make a claim for damage or missing merch. Shipper was contacted immediately and told me to have Fed Ex pick it up for inspection.They did and returned package to Butterfly. Now Butterfly is refusing to credit me 100% for merchandise. they state that Fed Ex says pkge was okay and are charging me a 10% restocking fee plus for missing lens etc. - almost $2000! I have photos that sho the condition of the package and a signed letter from the personnel who interacted with the Fed Ex driver. Any ideas as to what I can do? Talking to Butterfly gets me nowhere and Fed Ex won't talk to me as I was not the shipper. I am just sick about this!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 05:52 PM

<b>13moons</b>:

That's <u>terrible</u>! I can't believe that FedEx won't talk to you! I'm sure you've done the &quot;let me talk to your supervisor&quot; routine...

Because of the amount of money involved, it may be worth contacting a lawyer. Sometimes just a letter from a lawyer gets amazing results. For that matter, I would call the police too - you never know, they may be able to help.

Mostly I just wanted to offer my support - with all the stress of planning a safari, you <b>really</b> don't need this!

Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

<font color="green">Cyn</font>
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:06 PM

hi, also contact your local AG's office , yes also the police- have them take a report.
i think you have some work to do-sorry about that.
good luck
d
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:10 PM

if you used your credit card, dispute the charges and call about their replacement policy. Some gold/platinum cards have a 0 liability and will replace the damaged/missing items.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Oh, that's terrible. Yes, if you used a credit card for payment, contact the credit card company and dispute the charge. They'll tell you what additional documentation you need to send in.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 07:57 PM

I buy a lot of photo stuff and books over the internet. (But NOT ebay). Before I deal with anyone new I check the web site &quot;resellerratings&quot;. Here is their rating for Butterfly Photo-
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4576.html
Not good.
Also for photo stuff search around the dpreview web site for retailer information. I had not heard of Butterfly Photo until your problem. But, you will find many people dealing with Adorama, B&amp;H Photo, 17th St Photo, Roberts Imaging, Ritz, and a few others.
regards - tom
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 03:58 AM

Bummer I had some bad dealings with Butterfly a few years ago. I finally got my way when I threatened to contact the state attor. general's office and send a report to BB. - very nasty owner - half the time they don't even answer their phone. Is it too late for your credit company to hold payment while disputed?
Sherry
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 04:16 AM

hi, as mentioned already a couple of times-contact your attn gen. office where you are-this may also be considered a FED OFFENCE!that would be great!maybe not though-seeing it wasnt the US POST OFFICE. when you contact your attn gen office ask about that.they are very helpful.
i have heard of butterfly-but havent heard of anyone using them.
good luck
d
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 04:26 AM

It's not too late to contact the credit card company and that should be done immediately.
You can also try contacting the NYC Dept. of Consumer Affairs.
Also, as Cyn mentioned, have you spoken to a supervisor at Fed Ex? I've had problems in the past with deliveries when I was NOT the shipper and got very good results. Good Luck.
For future reference, I live in the city and buy all my photo equipment at B&amp;H. They are very reputable.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Contact your credit card ASAP and challenge the validity of the charge -- you should not pay for something that you did not receive. Your credit card will investigate, and Butterfly Photo is more likely to discuss the situation with Amex/Visa/etc. than with you.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:07 PM

<b>13moons</b>:

How are you making out?

<font color="green">Cyn</font>
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Still no more news, I am afraid. Butterfly and Fed Ex continue to stone wall. I took everyones advice and have sent letters with photos etc. to Am Ex, attourney Generals's office, Dept of Consumer Affairs and BB. I have just had to stop and put my focus on my forthcoming trip as it was just wearing me down to keep fighting with those jerks (pardon my attitutde!) Am Ex allowed me to go and get equipment elsewhere so now I am frantically trying to familiarize myslef with the 30D and 2 lens. I leave in 14 1/2 day so I am going to pray for a miracle to have this resolve FAVORABLY before I fo or when I get back. If all of my efforts don't pan out, I will seek legal counsel. Thanks ever somuch for asking. Sometimes it is really hard to deal with all of this alone.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
If it's any help to you, we are an american express merchant in the truck repair business. Any time any customer has disputed their bill, the customer has won. So I would say luck is on your side.

I don't think I'll ever accept at damaged package because of your experience. Good Luck!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:20 AM
santharamhari

I would do the same thing, Michael has adviced for you to do.... i.e., call your credit card company and dispute it!!!

Good luck,
Hari

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:41 AM

13 Moons,
Just a bit of advice. I would let all the agencies you're dealing with - especially Amex - know when you will be away and if anything further is required you will contact them on your return. Sometimes they ask for more information and if they don't hear from you they assume the matter is settled.