Search

Help on camps!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on camps!

I will be in Bostwana mid July and I need to book my camps ASAP. My TA has 3 nights in Duma Tau, 2 nights in Tuba Tree, 3 nights in Duba Plains (or) I could do 3 nights in Duma Tao, 2 nights in Stanley's Camp, 3 nights in Duba Plains. I have questions
(1) Which itinerary looks best
(2)Is there other camps that I may want to consider?
(3) I wanted to go to Baines Camp but they are only available for two nights. Would this be worth it to switch out one of my other camps? If so which one?
THANKS SO MUCH! I am so confused my head is spinning!
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 04:36 PM

3 Duma
2 Tuba
3 Duba

3 Duma
2 Stan
3 Duba

If you wanted to do the elephant walk, then #2 definitely since the ele walk (at an additional charge of a couple hundred dollars) only takes place at Stanley's or Baines.

#2 would give you the Linyanti area with Duma Tau, which should be good for cats, maybe wild dogs, elephants, and general game in July.

You'd have Duba Plains for the lion-buffalo activity, which is unique in all of Africa. I will mention that I'd be more comfortable with 4 instead of 3 nights here just in case the lion pride heads to an area that is inaccessible for a day or two. They don't go away often or for long, but it can happen. I booked 4 nights. Duba Plains does not have the variety of wildlife of other delta camps or Linyanti because of the huge buffalo presence and the lions, so lion-buff are the main attraction. Though I did see fields full of bat eared fox plus elusives like the serval and aardwolf. Great birds and a few eles.

Baines and Stanley's both offer the ele walk, which I have not done, but gets fabulous reviews. These camps also offer you your in-the- delta water camp experience where you can get a mekoro ride. In the other itinerary, Tuba Tree would be the delta camp.

Here is a link from someone deciding on Baines or Stanleys.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35146770

I would not trade Duba or Duma for Baines if you are already doing Stanleys.

There might be other camps you could consider if lion-buffalo activity is not your thing and you'd prefer more variety. But if you'd like to see some of the action captured in the the Joubert documentary Relentless Enemies, then Duba Plains is the place. It is my fav. Botswana Camp.

If you swapped Duba Plains, I'd consider Chitabe Main Camp or Chitabe Lediba--dry camps--or Little Vumbura--water activites and dry land activities. I think you pay a bit of premium for Duba Plains over the Chitabes, Little Vumbura, or Duma Tau. I think it's worth it.

If neither the lion-buff activity was of interest, nor the elephant was of interest, I might combine

One of the Chitabes
Little Vumbura
Duma Tau

Good luck. Of every camp mentioned here, any would give you a tremendous trip.

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM

Lynn, (off topic sharpei, sorry, but) I like your term "elusives" (like the Serval and Aardwolf)... Is this a generally recognized term, or something of your own construction?
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:07 PM

Just made up.

Sharpei, are you considering Kenya along with Botswana? I saw your other post.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Yes, My TA has suggested Richard's Camp. Do you know the camp? We would be there about July 24th. Is this a good time to see the migration? We are also planning to do a Rwanada Gorilla Trek in early July....
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:51 PM

Wow, what a cross continental trip. Don't know Richards, but the Maasai Mara that time of year is very nice with a chance to see river crossings. The wildebeest migration should be entering the Mara by then. I've been there at that time and it is fantastic wildlife viewing.

I always like to read what Africa Travel Resource says about camps/lodges. They mention cons liberally along with pros. Here's what they say about Richards.

<i>This camp is personally hosted and guided by Richard Roberts, whose family has been working with the Maasai here for generations. With just 6 tents this is an intimate and high quality camp.

The negative here is the location, which does get a good deal of safari traffic and is under great pressure from Maasai and their herds. That said, Richard's Camp is one of the best camp in the area at working around these issues, to give guests a genuinely high quality safari experience.</i>

They show the price at $765/nt. That's usually for one based on dbl occupancy. That is on the high end, but it looks like a more exclusive camp.

Wherever you stay, I'd suggest 4 nights minimum if the Mara is your only stop in Kenya.

Early July is a perfect time for gorilla tracking as well in Rwanda. You'll beat me there by a month.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your valuable info. I really appreciate it. Where are you staying in Rwanda?
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 04:01 PM

For the Rwanda gorillas visits I'll be at Kinigi Guesthouse and then after the last visit at Virunga Lodge, a fancy place with a lovely view. I saw it being built on my last visit and wanted to spend a night.

If you are considering lodging options, I've previously stayed at Gorilla Nest and liked it very much, especially the resident crowned cranes. The rooms were a bit chilly but you could request your own personal pot of burning coals to heat the room. It was not that cold in July that I needed the pot. The only reason I did not stay at Gorilla Nest for this next trip was it changed hands and the price went up considerably, but it is still one of the more reasonable options.

The most luxuriest place to stay is Silverback Lodge, I've been told.

Were you spending more time in Rwanda than what it takes to see the gorillas?
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM

For the Mara, Richards has two camps. The main one, which is around a 3 hr drive from the river, and can have little game around. His fly camp is now surrounded by many other camps, and Maasai grazing cattle. Try and stay in the Park. I love Mara Intrepids or Explorer. For the same price as Richards, you have much better game, excellent guides, good food, nice tents, etc.