Bostwana in May - 2 camp option

Old Mar 7th, 2016, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bostwana in May - 2 camp option

I am going in May 2017 to SA and Bostwana. I think our hotels/camps for all locations but Bostwana are set. We are really struggling where to stay. Do we do 2 camps in the Delta, one wet and one dry. Or try for 1 combo camp and then 1 camp in Linyati.

We are looking at properties like Vumbura, Selinda, Xudum, Xarrana, Chitabe, Duma Tau. Any insight into the best combo for that time or year or any other camp you think we should be looking at? Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 10:42 AM

It's impossible to predict, but there is currently a terrible drought. The wet lodges are cutting back on water activities, but the game viewing is great because the wildlife are coming for the limited water. Who knows for next year?! I would choose a combo and a dry camp. A couple of mokoro rides were fine for me - I prefer game drives and bush walks.

I felt Vumbura was over the top luxurious and I never felt comfortable there as it was "stuffy". Little Vumbura is in the same area, so great game viewing.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 12:59 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
We were in Little Vumbura in late May 2013, and loved it. Our favorite camp (it was our only Delta camp). I posted a review on trip advisor around then, it's the long one.....

We saw lots of animals, except for a cheetah. There was only one in the area then. Others in our camp had been elsewhere in the Delta and reported seeing many cheetahs.

I think 3 nights in 2 different Delta camps would be ideal.
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Do we think 2 camps in the Delta make sense or we should be looking at 1 in the Delta and 1 in Linyati?

Cheif's Camp / Salinda
Vumbura / Savuti
Vumbura / Chitabe

Or any other combo, but we are really struggling where to go to our 1/2 punch. And we will be in Sabi Sands beforehand too for insight. Thanks.
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 08:30 PM

You might also consider the Great Plains camps such as Selinda or Selinda Explorer and Duba Expedition or Duba Plains if the camp rebuild is complete. The company is owned by Dereck and Beverly Joubert, who live close to the Duba camp.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

I am concerned about the time line of Duba Plains. We did look into it and what told it should "likely" be open. That is not good enough for me.
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 03:51 PM

Hi, We stayed at Little Vumbura and then Duma Tau. Both camps were lovely. I recommend 2 different area. We also were at Sabi Sands on that trip and loved it too. All three were different and we saw lots of animals. It was in the Delta that we saw a kill and had 2 elephants park outside of our tent! I would go back to any one of them!
Enjoy!
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 06:16 PM

Duba Plains is very buffalo/lion centric. In three nights historically it's pretty common to see a kill. Unfortunately for us, though I was fine with missing it by a couple of hours, the lions had just started to hunt in the dark (I don't know about now). I really liked the casual nature of Duba - I hope this renovation doesn't change that too much. I think it will...