Search

Help!Mount Meru Game Lodge?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!Mount Meru Game Lodge?

Hi,
I,m a new foderite planning my first safari,trying to sort accommodation in Arusha we did'nt want a large hotel.So has anybody got any good or bads on Mount Meru Game Lodge? It looks lovely on it's website but I know how decieving these can be also that doesn't tell me how well it's run.
Listening to you all over the last few days I can see there's a wealth of information out there and you can't beat first hand experience. Like a lot of you this has been my dream for a long time, can't believe I'm actually planning it but I'm going to be needing your help I think
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 03:39 AM

<b>So has anybody got any good or bads on Mount Meru Game Lodge?</b>

Stayed there the arrival night on our first trip ... it's OK, definitely not as plush as some of the upscale out-of-town places but certainly good enough for a one-nighter.

Bill
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the reply. Were there many animals there I believe it's supposed to be a small sanctury?are there other places you would recommend instead, I realise it's all personal opinion.The others I were looking at were Mouvia Coffee Lodge Arusha Coffee Lodge, Mountain Village Lodge,or Kia Lodge Didn't want the city hotels. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:04 AM

<b>Were there many animals there I believe it's supposed to be a small sanctury?</b>

Yes, they had sort of a re-hab center or small zoo without bars ... in front of some of the rooms was a marshy area with some cool birds (Saddle-billed stork, Pink-backed pelicans and others) that you might not see on safari (we've only photographed a couple of wild Saddle-backs, which are striking birds).

Also had giraffes, buffalo, porcupines and various other species a few yards away. All in all it was pleasant enough. We were part of a photo tour and the plan was to go into Arusha NP that first morning but we didn't because of rains, so some photographed these semi-tame animals the first morning before we went to Tarangire.

<b>The others I were looking at were Mouvia Coffee Lodge Arusha Coffee Lodge, Mountain Village Lodge</b>

I think these are more up-scale properties. For us, for just a few hours rest before starting on safari, something simpler was fine.

<b>Didn't want the city hotels. Any thoughts?</b>

After that first trip we just went directly to 'city hotels' (Impala last April, Kibo Palace a couple weeks ago), our thinking being that that first night we arrive around 10 PM off the KLM flight and we like to get to Manyara or Tarangire fairly early the next day, so we just go into the city since we are picked up at the hotel early the next morning anyway.

If you are staying here more than one night then probably one of the up-scale places would be a good choice, but for one night and a quick first-morning intro to some of the animals you'll probably see on safari the Mt. Meru is a good choice, I feel. For sure it is quieter and more relaxing (and closer to the airport) than going into Arusha for a hotel.

Bill
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:21 AM
sandi

KIA Lodge is right outside the airport, recently refurbished (I'm told), so closest after arriving.

Agree with Bill, if just for 1/nt Impala, Kibo Palace or Arusha Hotels in Arusha are good for sleep and early start next day. Impala, the least expensive, nice clean rooms, nothing fancy. Kibo is a little over a year old, and Arusha recently refurbished. The latter two about $15/person/nt higher priced.

The other's you mentioned are located mid-way between JRO airport and Arusha, so adds a bit of time to get to airport next morning, or if driving, adding about 1/2-hr to your drive to first stop.

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bill &amp; Sandi,
We are actually in Arusha 3 nights as we are doing some cultural visits from there also a day in Arusha N/P. Thats why I was asking For one night I agree I would prob have stayed at the Impala or eqv.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:46 PM
sandi

If for three days, then the nicest is probably Arusha Coffee Lodge. Quite romantic setting also. However, Julian recently mentioned the newly opened (past June) Onsea House, a small boutique hotel. Check http://www.onseahouse.com/

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 01:13 AM

If you dont like Mt. Meru game lodge you could try AruMeru River lodge new and close to that area or rather older Rivertrees also in the area and half way between Arusha and the KIA. Both of these are close the Tengeru where you want to do the cultural trip also both are close to ANP. KIA lodge is also great and here you should get really good views of Mt. Kiliminjaro weather permitting.