Search

ngorongoro crater lodge or grumeti

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ngorongoro crater lodge or grumeti

Hi
I am new to the group and have found so much great information here - thanks. I am going on safari with CC Africa in mid january. Our itinerary includes Lake Manyara, Swala Camp in tarangire, Kleins, Under Canvas mobile camp (southern serengeti) and ending at ngorongoro crater lodge.
A colleague of mine who just returned said the crater was a very disappointing gaming experience - long bumpy roads, lots of traffic etc. He did say the lodge was spectacular. On the other hand, he couldn't say enough about Grumetti River Camp, which I was not able to include. (he did not go to Kleins) He suggested I consider this if gaming was a priority. Everything I read says not to miss the crater...would love some other expereinced opinions.
Many thanks
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 06:43 AM

<b>A colleague of mine who just returned said the crater was a very disappointing gaming experience - long bumpy roads, lots of traffic etc. He did say the lodge was spectacular.</b>

This is a fairly common response from people staying in Karatu or the lodges on the Crater Lodge side because they start down after breakfast, after the animals have settled down a bit and while the tourist 'migration' is at the peak.

A different experience is to be waiting at the entry gate at 6 AM and be the first jeep down, about 2 hours before the hordes. This is what we do (from the opposite side of the crater, where there is only one lodge and a much better descent/ascent road) and we've really enjoyed the crater wildlife experience.

If you have enough people in your party to warrant your own jeep you can go down early from Crater Lodge but if you are sharing with strangers you might find they don't want to leave that early.

You can skip the crater and still have a great safari but that's where we've had our best rhino viewing, seen the ellie with the biggest tusks and seen lions fighting hyenas and hyenas attacking buffalo (the crater floor has a very high density of lions and hyenas), all interactions we didn't see in the Serengeti or elsewhere.

Bill
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 07:17 AM
sandi

Klein's camp is not the ideal position for January. If you can get additional time at TUC, trade off time at Klein's. Besides you save the cost of flight to/from Klein's in addition to cost of room.

The Crater received mixed reviews regardless what time you visit or season. So you take it for what it is. Your accommodations, though expensive, will make up for any disappointment in game viewing on the floor of the crater.

Once you hit the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, it's all bumpy, long and dusty roads. Welcome to Africa!

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Bill, Sandi
Thanks both. We won't have our own vehicle and in fact ,that is one of the things my friend said - everywhere else they went early but at the crater they went out at 8. I have been told my inner-hedonist will be well rewarded with the lodge though, and the spectacular views.
As for Klein's, this was a must. As a private concession they allow for guided walks and night drives, which we wanted to experience. So many choices, so little time! (and money. ;-)

Nancie
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 07:34 AM

We went down to the Crater at 6:30 from the Crater Lodge. We made our wishes known and they did accomodate us. (We would have liked to go even earlier but we didn't want to push our luck!) Tell your ranger what you want and let them work it out.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:30 AM

If this is likely your one visit to Tanzania, I would include the Ngorongoro Crater. I agree with Marija to make your views for any early start known. I'd begin with informing your travel agent and not wait until you get to the crater.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Yes it is our first time to Tanzania, and likely will explore other countries before retuning, so appreciate your point. Also, I did send off a note to CC Africa letting them know about the early request. Hopefully I will get some feedback on this. thaks again.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 12:28 PM
sandi

nancie -

Am assuming that at Lake Manyara you'll be staying at Tree Lodge. If so, believe Greenfootprints does the night game drives here.

As to game walks, you'll be able to do this with your stay at TUC.

Again, Klein's is a long way (and expensive) to go for night drives and game walks.

But since you're going with a group, you'll have to see how you can arrange these activities separate from the group.

Another reason, why a private itinerary works and where you can probably get comparable, even better pricing that dealing with CCA direct. But, since you're already booked, you'll have to remember for your return visit to Africa.

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 12:37 PM

In Lake Manyara tree lodge we weren't offered night drives. (The lodge is wonderful!) Similarly, there were no game walks at TUC. Don't know if that's always the case but it was when we were there.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 01:49 PM
sandi

Marija -

I mentioned Green Footprints as an operator for the night drives. Tree Lodge doesn't offer, it would have to be a separate booking; they'd pick you up and return you to camp.

As to bush walks, the camp might not offer it up as an activity, but then you have to ask and see what they say. They may assess a fee, but for what you pay at TUC, that would be a ripoff.

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the insights. We are staying at the Treelodge (appreciate your reveiw Marija!) so will inquire about Green Footprints. We aren't going with a group though, and worked out a custom itinerary. I am quite happy with the Kleins choice and have heard from others that their stays have been great and further complimented by the opportunity to interact with the Oloslosokwan community that owns the land. So hopefully we will be happy with the choice.

As for TUC, just found out it will be a full moon while we are there so am even more excited!

thanks
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 04:48 AM

Hello. We will be at The Crater Lodge in January as well. This is our last stop after the Masai Mara and the Serengeti, prior to Mombasa. I have been told by so many people that the Crater Lodge cannot be missed. And because of reading other posts, I did email in advance that we wanted to go out by 6:00AM. We are used to doing very early game drives, having started at 5:00AM in South Africa. I hope you stick with it.

Lolazahra
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Lolazhara it's too bad we won't be there at the same time to join forces and conquer! We will be there first week of feb.

Nancie
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 03:12 AM

Everything Bill said! His advice is gold. I did the same, btw... choose Sopa lodge @ crater! It's as simple as that.

Old Dec 4th, 2006, 01:50 PM
dmc555

I second your friend's recommendation about Grumeti River Camp. I spent 30 days in Africa and stayed at some pretty fantastic places and Grumeti is one of my all time favorites. My trip included Lewa Downs Wilderness Trails and Kichwa Tembo Bateleur Camp in Kenya; Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, Grumeti River Camp, and Klein's Camp in Tanzania; Sussi &amp; Chuma in Zambia; and Phinda Forest Lodge and Londolozi Tree Camp in southern Africa. I'm listing all of these so you can see that I stayed at some pretty great places, many of which are CC Africa locations, yet I found Grumeti to be one of the best (my absolute favorite was Bateleur's Camp).

Accomodations at Klein's are great, but I preferred the tents at Grumeti to the cottages at Klein's because I felt much closer to the bush and to nature. The tents at Grumeti are very comfortable, the staff is excellent, the food was fantastic, and the game viewing unbelievable. But, I was there in July, and this is where I saw the wildebeest migration, so I'm a little biaed.

I plan to return to Africa, and while I will definitely return to the Mara and the Serengeti, I don't plan to return to the Crater. Like many other travelers to the Crater, I was disappointed. I was glad my travel agent told me that one night at the Crater would be enough. Ngorongoro Crater Lodge was a little too over the top for my taste. I also found the game viewing disappointing. However, I didn't know I could request an early start, so I was one of those people that started at 8 am. Perhaps starting at 6:00 would have changed my opinion.

Since you're going to Lake Manyara (which I did not do), Ngorongoro isn't as out of the way for you as it was for me. I just didn't find the time it took to get there worth it. I flew from camp to camp, and Ngorongoro is the only place I could not fly into, so the drive to the Crater seemed endless.

I cannot stress enough how much I enjoyed Grumeti. How long are you at Klein's? I would check with CC Africa and see if they could swap a night or two. I was at Klein's for three nights and Grumeti for two, and I wish I'd done it the other way around. Or even 2 at Klein's and 4 at Grumeti,and skipped the Crater all togther.

The CC Africa staff was great everywhere I stayed. I know you'll have a fantastic trip, whatever you choose.