Help me plan...Zimbabwe and Tanzania

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings, after hanging out at the Europe forum for years, I am coming over here looking for help. Been to Africa before, Ghana for couple of weeks. We visited with help of a relative working there. We traveled in tro-tros, went all over the country and really enjoyed it. We enjoyed being off the beaten path, and seeing how people lived.

This time, I do not have the relative with us (in Sudan, can consult!) so I am organizing. We are three adults, looking to see countryside and people, a safari would be great, budget wise not looking to rough it, or be waited on hand and foot (vague enough ? My companions are not a backpacking crowd, but are open to adventure. No bungee jumping, but going to interesting places...

We are planning for this march, three weeks (dates TBD). Flying out of N.A.

As my first pass, I am thinking Victoria Falls, followed by safari in Zimbabwe, off to Kilimanjaro/Arusha area, and finishing in Zanzibar.

I've bought the Rough Guide for Tanzania, and am starting to read-up, google, etc..

Can you experts give me a ya/nay, suggest a way to split the time, is the sequence good, etc.. book safaris there,etc..

Not sure if renting a car makes sense. I see ferries, I see overnight trains, I see buses, I see trains (too many visions )

Yes, I know it's vague. I can handle Europe, but Arica seems to have a new set of challenges.

Thanks for any help!!!
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 05:27 PM

Michel-

This March? Try this if you need coach flights:

http://flysaaspecials.com/air-only/2...sale/?mpch=ads

Many of us here do East Africa (Kenya Tanz) or Southern Africa. Doing both involves lots of plane travel and time. I am a southern Africa girl, just so you know where I'm coming from. I'm also a safari girl, so that is my main focus.

If you are doing Zim and Vic Falls, you could save yourself a ton of time and travel and spend lots of money in Botswana. It is a spectacular, yet expensive, safari destination. It is also a very stable democracy and the #1 Ladies Detective Agency books/HBO series are based there. You could rent a car in Bots and travel the country for a couple of weeks. The safari destinations in the north (the Okavango Delta region) are not very car friendly, but the rest of the country has tar and gravel roads. Zim is a great value and the camps are remote (fly-in mostly) so they are safe and lots of wildlife. Then a lot of people head to Mauritius or Mozambique for some beach time or Cape Town for a beautiful European feeling city.

I am currently planning a 3 week self drive through S Africa, which is a very easy country to drive, has a great national park system and all the comforts of home, plus some major luxury if you wish. We are doing the Kruger region and KwaZulu Natal this time.

I know it's possible to do it all, but IMO it's easier to pick one area. Maybe someone who has done it all can give you better info. You'll be back!! You can do the other area next time.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:15 AM

The best area for the wildebeest migration in March is the Southern part of the Serengeti--Ndutu. At this date, it may be booked up, especially for 3. The later in March, the more likely there would be space.

A company like Roys, Good Earth, Africa Serendipty would be able to give you an idea on availability as a starting point.

Don't know about Zim in March, with the rains.

Check out this chart on wildlife viewing throughout the year.
http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

You mention ferries and trains, etc. I think you can ignore those and fly between Tanzania and Zimbabwe. Within Tanzania it is typical to be driven by your safari guide from place to place, with perhaps one flight, in or out of the Serengeti, arranged by your safari provider.

In Zim, flying in and out of camps is typical as Christabir mentions. You may be limited to parts of Hwange in March. If going to Vic Falls, consider the relatively short drive to Chobe in Botswana instead of Zimbabwe. Chobe is not as expensive as most other Botswana destinations.

Vic Falls, Chobe, Zim should not present a problem with last minute bookings as this is not peak time. More trouble will be the Ndutu area of Tanzania, if you choose to include that.

Do you have an idea of a budget?
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi, and thanks for your input. I did say the planning was early

In refininf a bit, I have us landing in Johannesburg, maybe staying a day or two, then flying to Kasane, and staying at Chobe Safari Lodge for several nights. Out of there we would visit Chobe, Vic Falls, maybe take ferry to Zambia. After that I could see Mana Pools for a couple of days. Then fly (from where?) to Arusha, and then...Serengeti, Ngo Crater? Then fly (from where, Arusha?) to Zanzibar/Dar. Roughly 5-6 days in each locaiton/

So we would have 3 "bases" and work from there. No renting of cars...yet. I hear it is not really recommended for Tan.

We are not looking for a safari per se, but rather some shorter day or two or three day visits.

I'm trying to lock down the Bots/Zim side, then move on to Tan.

Budget wise, I'd say low to mid range. I'm still trying to get a grasp of prices. No backpacking for us, but no $400 a night accomodations either.

I have the Rough Guide for Tan and will get the Lonely for the first two countries.

Yes, I know it is still vague
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 03:53 PM

How about taking the Zambezi Trader or Kariba Ferry from across Lake Kariba(at the west) to Kariba(town)to the East. From Kariba, most of the Mana Pools safaris start.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 04:31 PM

Luangwablondes, what do you think about Mana Pools in March, though?
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 06:14 PM

Although it is the end of the rainy season(that covers about any place in Southern Africa, the lodges are closed up and a lot of wildlife moves off the river, there are still some guides running canoe and walking safaris at that time - low season. Kind of like the Emerald Season in SLNP. The place is green with several months of new growth.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 12:55 AM

Hi Michel! We had a great guide in Tanzania via Nomad Tanzania (or he can be booked separately if you don't want to stay in the Nomad camps - although they are lovely too). His name is Felix Mollel - here is a link to our blog - navigate on the right hand margin to Tanzania

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/africa/

I can provide contact info for Felix is you wish.

Liz
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Hey Liz, you are from Toronto, me too!

I'm liking your blog. Can you give me an idea of how it works with Felix, and idea of his costs, costs of accomodations,etc..

I'm pretty well booked into going end of March, from what I read it may be a bit wet.

Ideally, with up to 3 weeks of stay, I was think of 2 weeks in Tanzania, of which 3-4 days would be Zanzibar. Add more and follow your route?

What gets me bit confused, is the pre-Tanzania time. I can fly to JHB, then get to Chobe Safari Lodge in Bots and do 3-4 days of Chobe (?), Vic Falls,etc...then fly from ??? to Kil (if following your route).

Or should I just pass and focus on Tanzania?

Is March/April best in ....???

Any help is precious
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 12:18 AM

HI Michel_Paris - I think we've met at the Toronto GTGs?

Email me at

eseibertca AT yahoo DOT ca

to discuss prices/etc.

In Tanzania/Serengeti we didn't find a broad range of price points - FYI.

Liz