Help!!! Delta confusion....

Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:42 AM
santharamhari

Help!!! Delta confusion....

Hi Johan, Michael, Julian or anyone else.....

Honestly i was looking for a delta camp.....when Chitabe looked unlikely for a 3rd nite.......i gave up and went for 3 nights at the new Kwara Island which will be ready before my trip.....

Now Chitabe has cleared my 3rd nite......what do i do....go with Chitabe or Kwara Island??? As you guys probably know my itineary until that point.......

5 nights Phinda (forest lodge and walking safari)
3 nights Lagoon
4 nights Lebala

Curious to hear what u guys think......

Thanks
Hari

Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:45 AM
mv

Hari

I have been to Kwara twice and loved it. I have had excellent predator sightings there. The new Kwara Island camp is in a very attractive area and I am sure it will be nice.
I have only heard good about Chitabe but I would stick with Kwando and try to get a good price since you are spending so many nights
Michael
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:27 AM
johan_belgium

Hari,

I like them both very much but in terms of prices it's a better idea to stick to Kwara (because you already go to Lebala and Lagoon).

Sightings will probably be very good at both camps and because you are spending a week in Lagoon/Lebala you probably see the dogs there and you don't need to go to Chitabe to see them.

Driving around that time of year won't be a problem at both camps so I would stick to Kwara Island although I had two of my finest game drives (out of my top 10) ever at Chitabe.

Greetings,

Johan

Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:59 AM

Hello,

Chitabe is a land-only camp whereas Kwara offers both water and land activities -- since you want a Delta camp, you're better off going with Kwara. As others have noted, you should qualify for a long-stay discount with Kwando for that many nights.

Cheers,
Julian
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:32 AM

I understand they are now calling Kwara Island Camp "Little Kwara"?

I am torn whether to spend our three nights next January at the original one or the new one. The new one sounds smaller & more intimate. But the old one sounds like a sure thing, w/ experienced staff, etc. Thoughts?
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
johan_belgium

Lisa,

As you know I'll be at Kwara Island (or is it little Kwara) in May 2006, I'll tell you all about it after I'm back.

I liked Kwara a lot (not so much for its accomadation but for their staff).

At the moment, I don't have any clue how the camp will look like ... and to be honest I like it to be a bit of surprise.

Gameviewing will be similar in Kwara and Little Kwara I think. You gonna love it ... even in summertime.

Greetings,

Johan

Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:41 PM
santharamhari

Wow!!! Thanks guys......johan, Michael, Julian, Lisa........That's a unanimous choice for Kwara.......

Also got an email(strange coincidence) from Mel and Grant......they are going to be the managers at Kwara Island starting May, 2006. I met them at Kwara last yr......when they were sub managers there......Johan, i guess you will meet them during your trip.....

Thank you all once again.....

Hari

Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:58 PM
santharamhari

Lisa,

I think the accomodations at the new camp would be far more superior.....the tents at the old camp, are really not the best. The people/guides are awesome, food good (like other camps). The outside sitting area in front of the lounge (where you meet for tea/coffee) is stunning!!!

The only reason i am going to Lagoon for 3 nights is Jonah and the staff......honestly i could've spent 7 nights at Lebala which is awesome!!!

Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
johan_belgium

Hari,

Do you know of one of the guides from Kwara is moving to Kwara Island?

Greetings,

Johan

Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:21 PM
santharamhari

Johan,

I can check with Mel and Grant if they know of any......anyone in particular? we had Ras and Justice(his tracker).....they are a good team....

Doctor seemed interesting too......i can send a quick email to them for any info...

Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:28 PM
johan_belgium

Hari,

Would be very nice to do so.

Thanks in advance,

Johan

Mar 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
santharamhari

Ok, Johan........I got an email from Mel and Grant. Mel will be managing the camp full time and she gave up free-lancing. She is fully involved at the moment with all staffing, decorating etc etc and will let me know more when we get closer to opening day May 1, 2006. Since Kwando are marketing it as an exclusive camp with just 4 chalets......she has full authority to pick two of the best guides that Kwando has to offer.....they hv not made the decision as yet.......but will let me know.

I will let you know when i hear more....BTW, Johan........i wonder if i gave you my email address when me met at Lebala...

Here goes....... [email protected]

Take care
Hari

Search this Thread