Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

HELP a newbie! How to save $$ and make the most of the trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am making two of my first international trips this year and was hoping that some of the more experienced travelers who might be reading this could help me either a) cut costs or b) make the most out of the trip (e.g. get a good package, earn double mile points, etc).

My husband and I are leaving from Seattle to Guatemala City on the 23rd (flexible) of August then traveling through Central America to return from San Jose, Costa Rica back to Seattle on the 23rd of September (also flexible).

Then, I am flying to Nairobi (airport/country flexibe -- meeting my husband somewhere in Africa, flexible) December 14th (flexible dates after the 14th) and returning to Seattle on January 8th (flexible a couple days before and after).

Any ideas for me? I would be so grateful, and it can only bring you good Karma...

Thanks!

Ashley
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Hello and welcome! I notice you have made 3 posts with the same question, which may cause some confusion. I see you are new here, so if you just click on your name, you will see the entire history of your posts.

Also, Fodors is a very helpful form, but for budget travel I also suggest posting on the Lonely Planet Thorntree Forum. There are experts in budget travel there.

I haven't really found packages to save money, except maybe the 10 day Caravan tour that is offered in Costa Rica.

Being flexible should help you get the best possible airfares...I would use a search engine such as Itasoftware.com, to start your airfare search (use the multi-city or month-long search). Then go directly to the airline websites to see if there are any special FF mile offerings.

You might also begin searching here with key words so you can find trip reports that hold your interest. Then you can post a reply/question to that poster asking what their budget was.

This might get you started...hope this helps!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Oop! I just noticed you're posting your question in different forums. Hopefully you'll get lots of replies!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Welcome, Ashley!

You might get more replies if you included some specifics about what you'd like to do during your time in Africa.

Also, you mention meeting your husband in Africa. Where would he be coming from and where is he headed afterwards? Is the cost of his airfare or flight time to get to/from your chosen destination in Africa from wherever he's originating a factor?

The more details you provide, the more we can probably be of help.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:10 PM

For your Central America travels, post on the Latin America board. There is loads of info and helpful people for CR.

To help make the most of your Africa trip, are you looking to do a safari? Or safari and beach?
Would you prefer a group departure or a private trip for you and your husband?