How does this sound for Tanzania-late June?

Jul 17th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

How does this sound for Tanzania-late June?

Fly from Arusha to Central Serengeti (but where to stay) 2-3 nights, drive to Crater -Serena, on to Manyara-Serena, on to Tarangire-Sopa and back to Arusha. Total of 6 nights safari. Where to stay in the Central is a big question-Seronera Wildlife seems to be in ideal location but most people here don't seem to care for it. Love to hear your thoughts.
Jul 17th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Wildlife Lodge is OK but is older property that hasn't been kept up very well. Great location, but typical complaints are lack of hot water (or any water), dirty rooms, poor food, staff that doesn't care etc. The agent we use recommends we don't stay there but he will book it upon request.

Another central Serengeti lodge option is the Serena, which is 45 minutes drive from Seronera. But it's in a more wooded area with not as much to see close to the lodge. We stayed here seven nights in April 2006 but that was probably too much.

Bill
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:52 AM

I would reverse the order. Otherwise, you might find Tarangire and Lake Manyara anticlimatic after the Serengeti and the Crater. In the Serengeti, you might consider one of the mobile tented camps such as Simiyu.
Jul 17th, 2007, 02:29 PM

I agree with ShayTay - we just did Tanzania and met many travelers who wished they had put the crater last.
Jul 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM

I would also reverse the order.

I stayed at the Seronera Wildlife a few years ago; I didn't think it was horrible but it was pretty much as Bill describes. Except, when we were there, we didn't find our room dirty. It sorta depends on what you want/expect.

Great location!
Jul 17th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, I thought about reversing itinerary but thought earlier in Central and later in Tarangire might be better, guess a few days doen't really matter tha tmuch. I'm also afraid the camp bit will put it out of my price range. I appreciate your thoughts.