how much time spent at fodors?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o.k. i admit, i am now a fodor's junkie. ever since i decided to go on a safari and found fodor's talks and forums, that is what i do, reading these posts. of course, i have found a lot of useful, interesting and fun topics, but is it normal to spend almost every waking hour here? (i'm at work now...) anyway, anyone else out there with this "problem?"
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:25 PM

*raises hand*

I, too, have the aformentioned "problem". I admit it. I find myself checking the forum several times a week for new information and, my favorite, trip reports. I've found everyone's advice and information to be invaluable while planning a trip(s) to Africa. The insight found here is not that of glowing reports from company websites, travel agents, or magazines... it's from people who have gone (often several times) and have real, candid experiences to share both good, bad, and in between.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Hi, my name is Jenni and I'm a Fodor's addict ! But I guess if you're going to have an addiction this isn't a bad one. And the information I have gotten has really helped me as I get ready for our Africa trip. It's also a great way to relieve stress at work (although I try to limit my "use" to after 5!).
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Finally, a thread I actually have enough knowledge to contribute to! I'm addicted--I check Fodor's every morning to see if there are new posts. I generally remain a "lurker" because I don't know anything about Africa ...yet...we go on Safari and a Kili Climb in August! I look forward to actually contributing back to this extremely helpful and very friendly board upon my return.

Also, of all the travel forums I have checked out, this is far and away the most user-friendly one.
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:30 PM

Those little dark chocolate Dove bites are my other addiction. Well, besides actually going to Africa and other wild places. But Fodors is calorie-free carb- free and just plain free.

Matnikstym and Schlegal1, have you posted your departure date and itineraries on the thread that requests your countdown to departure? Or have you posted them anywhere else?

SchlegalaI know there was a a couple looking to do a Kili climb & safari recently that could benefit from your itinerary. Plus I want to know how the day in Chobe is going to be spent, Matnikstym.
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Wow, this thread is two days old and no Rocco! Or maybe like many of us, his addiction is plainly self evident
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:58 PM
sandi

napamatt -

Now, now - be nice. Schlegal1 just mentioned how friendly we all are... don't disappoint. Rocco is tied up with his new digital camera equipment, all $10K worth! LOL!

Old May 19th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Somebody called?

Yes...I spend quite a bit of time on this forum and have learned more from this forum than I ever would have from any guide book.

Yes...I am getting carried away with the camera equipment. I felt like dirt last year when the Scandanavian guest that I shared a vehicle with while at Kulefu in Lower Zambezi whipped out some unidentified camera with huge lenses while I tried to squeeze the last life out of my Sony F707. Talk about camera envy!

Yes...I am addicted to this board, but I am happy to have been referred by someone on this board to www.fredmiranda.com, which has a great photography forum. Just as this forum breaks down destinations by continent/region, that website breaks down photography into many different sections, including by interest (wildlife/landscape/wedding) and camera (Canon/Nikon/other).

I will say that I am only about 2/3 done with my camera equipment and already I have spent more on my camera equipment than I did on my entire 11 night Zambian (low season) safari last year. I never expected it to be this expensive, but now that I have decided to go the DSLR route, I may as well jump in head first. ---Kavey, I have even started to read my instructions and attended my first photo workshop!---

I have every intention of making this a lifetime relationship with Africa, and somehow feel that Africa is ultimately my destiny. While I am so far limited to only Southern Africa, trust me, I would love to visit Tanzania, Kenya, Malawi, Uganda and other places outside of Southern Africa. Next up, however, will likely be an April visit to Botswana, and then possibly a November 2006 visit to Zambia for Kasanka, South Luangwa (it is most convenient to visit Kasanka by using SLNP as a gateway) and Liuwa Plains.

The more we visit African wildlife destinations, the longer the animals will have a sanctuary. Once the animals are abandoned, they will quickly perish.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Friends: what a healthy addiction we have. We meet new people, keep in touch, and learn. Now that is a bargain that does not require intervention. I will be leaving the US for southern Africa on June 15: Tampa-->Detroit-->Amsterdam-->J'burg-->Cape Town. We will be In C'Town about 3 days (I've already contacted Selwyn), then we will go to Kruger (Tremisana Lodge) for about 3 days. From there to Vic Falls (A'Zambezi Lodge)one day; and then to Chobe (Chobe Safari Lodge), and back to J'burg and home.

I have learned so much from fodorites, and have come to rely on this site a great deal. You folks are so genuine and respectful.

I love Africa. To stand in the Masai Mara or Serengeti, to look out at all that land, and know that where I stand, my brothers/sisters stood millenia ago: awesome. I love the pride the citizens have in their country; and I love the way their eyes shine when we, the visitors, express such pleasure at their lovely land. And the animals, ah, the animals. Not a political hair on their bodies, just their own pure selves. I work hard at two jobs so that I can return to Africa every so often. It is worth all my fatigue.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:44 PM

I have to admit to being a Fodor's addict as well. When a trip is in the works I'll spend about 2 months before leaving scanning the appropriate forum a couple of times a day for information and about 2 months after I'm back responding to 'everything'. Aside from that, I'll check back once a week or so with the occasional response.

Z
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:40 AM

I consider this board to be a nicotine patch, great for when I can't indulge in my addiction to safaris.

Seriously, I spend a lot of time on here, enjoy the discussions, and have been helped tremendously.