Search

Should we speak of Fodors?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should we speak of Fodors?

When working with a travel agent? Should we mention that we are a regular or occasional poster on the site? Would this be to our advantage? Have you done this and what was the result?

I have given agents a link to my report after the trip. I've also sent a link with some of my general comments. Only once did I mention anything to the agent before the trip. That's when I was trying to recruit others to join me for a (non-Africa) trip so the total cost would go down.

Just wondering what your thoughts or experiences on this have been.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:04 PM

For what it's worth, I was planning on mentioning Fodor's- along the lines of "You have gotten good reviews on Fodor's, and I am looking forward to planning this trip together...". I think that way a TA would know that we have done some research
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Lynn,

My Africa travel agent knows about this Forum and knows that I talk about everything related to our trips on it, and I send her links to my trip reports when I write them. Her level of interest in it is pretty low -- it doesn't seem very interesting to her. From my extensive discussions with her, she finds it extremely unusual for a client to actually research a trip before planning it, and more typically finds herself having to make suggestions to someone who has no idea what is available or what they want. She regards me as an anomaly among her clients, so this Forum is more of a curiousity than anything to her, I think.

Keep in mind this is a travel agent that I have known and worked with since 2003 and who has helped us with every Africa trip we have taken, and I like her a lot. But mentioning this Forum to her hasn't aroused any particular interest.

Chris
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:29 PM

I am still game for a TA to put a Fodor's Africa trip together for a great price...think of all the publicity!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Likewise my TA's interest in Fodors seems low. Maybe after a long day of working with clients he does not find Fodors particularly entertaining (i.e. more of the SOS)
regards - tom
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Those I know, and use, are just too busy to bother with things like Fodors. When not dealing with clients, they're travelling for first-hand knowledge of destinations. One is already on his third trip this year: East Africa early in the year, the Galapagos a few weeks ago, and heading back to Botswana at this very moment for three weeks of paradise. He'll just miss crossing Hari's path at Zib.

John
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM

CarlaM , I dont know the agents but know quite a few ground operators in Maun.
Should I suggest this to them?
The problem would be when in the year?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Have to say that when I mention fodors here in a pub I just get blank stares.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 10:24 PM

Fodor's never opened any doors for me. I tend to use other tactics - most of which also fail to get me any reduction in price. I have never tried mentioning it at the pub, though.

However, it does occur to me that all these agents might be feigning non-interest because they fear blackmail at some point if they admit they would hate to get a negative review on this board... ;-)
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 01:22 AM

Hello,

If I hadn't become a regular here as a client, I probably wouldn't have any idea what Fodors was -- it's primarily a US site and most people over here have never heard of it. I wouldn't be surprised if this was also true for people in Australia.

Interestingly, a rather large number of camps are aware of it, though.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Maybe those camps have a high percentage of US clients?
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Hello Nyama,

For some reason camps in Zambia seem particularly aware of Fodors, and many of their clients are European...

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Julian, I guess we know the reason very well. I remember that Luangwa River Lodge's first US agent was a well-known Fodorite (and LRL's Sean also worked for Bushcamp Company and spread the word). There are some other places which are very popular on this forum, and their owners know about Fodors as well. But these camps are by far not all Zambia has to offer. As a MD in the Valley once told me - different operators are targeting at different markets.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Hello Nyama,

I was actually thinking of RPS and Norm Carr, both of whom are quite aware of Fodors despite not being favoured by the aforementioned Fodorite.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Never spoke with Jo or Christina about it. But speaking about NCS: why, in your opinion, do we never hear about Mchenja on this forum? Isn't it specially designed for this market?
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Hello Nyama,

No idea -- it looks like a lovely camp, though I have a feeling that certain Fodorites would be offended by the implication that this is a luxury forum

It would be great to see more about NCS and RPS camps in the future. Sharon just visited some of them and should have a trip report out soon.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Bwana Mitch - er, I mean, Nyama... isn't a bit beneath a well-traveled person such as yourself to make such sweeping generalizations???!! ;-)
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Julian -- "it's primarily a US site", those are your words, and I agree -- most of the Fodorites are certainly from the US, and this forum is a good representation of their preferences, and, again in your words, "most people over here [Europe] have never heard of it." My point is: you are part of this community and offer services to these travellers, also sharing preferences with many Fodorites -- could it be that your impression of "a rather large number of camps are aware of it [Fodors]" is a little onesided since you're mainly visiting the same places as many of these Fodorites?

From what I've written in my posts above I can't see that implication you mentioned, so it might be more a result of your own thoughts.

The background of my NCS question: NCS are targeting with their products at different travel markets, and Mchenja is designed for, in their own words, "American market". I just believe that they know their business. Other operators do the same. I guess these are the same principles as in other markets, preferences of customers are different. Or are you trying to tell me that, for instance, the market for cars is the same in Europe, Asia and the US? Now, what puzzles me: from above we know that Fodors is "primarily a US site", but surprisingly Mchenja is still unknown on this forum. What are the implications here -- that NCS are doing a bad job in marketing? That Fodors isn't a forum of primarily US travellers at all? Or that the promoters of Zambian safaris here are ill-informed?

cooncat3, interesting guess, what makes you thinking this? But more important: could you please explain what you mean with my "sweeping generalizations"?
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 02:13 AM

Hello Mitch/Nyama,

I think you're reading WAY more into my comments than there is. All I meant was
that there are some people who post here who make a very big point of saying that they are not luxury travellers.

FWIW I've never mentioned Fodors to any camp owners or managers I've met with -- but they have mentioned it to me. As noted above the ones that have done are not frequently mentioned here, and don't appear to be visited by many Fodorites.

Interestingly, many of the camps which are frequently visited by Fodorites (Mala Mala, Singita, WS) have never mentioned Fodors. So it looks like whether a camp is aware of Fodors isn't neccessarily related to whether it is visited by Fodorites.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 02:44 AM

Hi! FWIW, I was planning on saying that I've been doing some research, but not necessarily mentioning Fodors. In booking other trips, I've found that it helps move things along if the agent knows that you've done your homework in advance. I don't think it really matters where you did your homework though...I've researched some trips on Tripadvisor, and I also read articles and guidebooks.

Moira

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -