Search

Guided tour of Soweto?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guided tour of Soweto?

I'm leaving Nov 9th, for my South Africa Earthwatch trip. This is the same project MyDogKyle went on, but I chose the summer version.
JetBlue's cancellation of my Denver to JFK flight has provided me with the opportunity to rearrange my travel so that I'll have an overnight stay in JoBurg. Since I arrive at 0840, I'll have most of the day available. This seems like a good opportunity to learn more about SA's recent political history by seeing the Apartheid Museum and a visit to Soweto. Does anyone have suggestions for a guide? I've exchanged email with the very charming Robin Binckes of Spear of the Nation who will unfortunately, be out of town for several days. He suggested Jimmy's Face 2 Face Tours. Any other suggestions?
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 10:28 AM

We used JIMMY'S twice and never regretted it:

http://www.face2face.co.za/

He is one of those Soweteans who started his tour company when Apartheid was abolished and is still in the business offering extremely valuable insight knowledge!

Old Oct 30th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, spassvogel. Another vote for Jimmy's.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Honestly - I didn't read you post till the very end so I missed Robin's suggestion.
I am glad you have another confirm now ;-)

You certainly won't regret it! He is authentic and if you like he takes you to private homes - even his home! - in Soweto.

Make it a full day and consider a lunch at a shabeen and a visit to the Apartheid Museum makes the experience a "round" one.

Ask Jimmy (must be in his late 50s/early 60s) to personally take you to Soweto. He is funny and of course has a wealth of knowledge!

Enjoy - happy landings!

Old Oct 30th, 2010, 04:43 PM

I also highly recommend Jimmy's F2F... we did two excursions with Jimmy himself. You'll be very lucky if you get him. He has more stories about *everything* than the day -- or the week, or the year -- is long. (Also, he used to live in Denver, if you believe everything he says!)
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 04:03 AM

Do not miss an opportunity to tour Soweto. We did this back about 14 years ago and it was an eye opener. Today it would just be awesome. Sorry if I can't recommend a tour guide, but others have done this.