One day in Johannesburg-what should we see?

Aug 19th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

One day in Johannesburg-what should we see?

My husband and I will be in Johannesburg for just one day next month before catching a flight to Richard's Bay and on to the reserve. We know nothing really about Johannesburg except for what we've seen on websites. We would be grateful for some suggestions on what to see and where to have dinner while we are there.
Thanks,
Martha
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:30 PM

Hello, I would recommend doing a Soweto tour and be sure to see the Hector Petersen Musuem, it is very moving and interesting. Any hotel would be able to organise this for - you can do both as a half day tour. It is also interesting to see the business district of Pretoria.
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:42 PM

I agree with Bwino - Soweto is a must see! I would also do a drive through downtown and try to imagine what it used to be like.
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:17 AM

When I spent a day there a while back, I spent half the day on a guided tour of Soweto - which I can highly recommend and which you will find both eye-opening and uplifting. The other half I spent amid the social life and the shopping malls of Sandton. This way, I got to see the two extremes of Jo'burg and two sides of South Africa - I'd recommend it.
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:21 AM

I agree with all of the above. Any hotel can arrange a day or 1/2 day tour. If there are 2 of you, then a private tour will not be much more than a scheduled tour. (There were 3 of us, and our private tour was the same cost as taking a scheduled tour). Most will take you thru downtown J'burg and give you a brief history. Soweto and the Hector Peterson Museum are a must do, very enlightening. If you are staying North, then Sandton Mall is fun for a quick look and many places to eat a good dinner. There are cab's there that can take you back to your hotel afterwards.
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:19 AM

If your day happens to be Sunday, there is a good crafts market on the roof of the parking garage of the Rosebank Mall, next door to the Grace Hotel. In addition to Soweto, there is also the DeWildt Cheetah Center out of town and the Lesedi Cultural Village. Your tour operator or perhaps your hotel could book any of these.
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks All for the suggestions. I'd already been thinking about a tour of Soweto. Glad to see it is a good choice. We will be in town on a Monday so I guess the Rosebank Market is out. Are there any other good markets on Mondays? Do the malls have locally made goods?
Martha
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Actually, it's the Rosebank flea market that is open only on Sundays; the crafts market is open every day. You'll be able to buy locally made goods there, in that market adjoining the Rosebank mall. There are also some locally made goods in shops in Sandton, but it's more fun to talk to the actual artisans in the Rosebank market.

The mall at Sandton is full of good places for dinner. And I like several restaurants in Rosebank for lunch -- a good fish place is the one whose name I can't remember, but the logo is a blue oval. I also like Mimmo's, for paninis and pizza and that sort of thing.
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:09 PM

That's right, Celia. I visited the craft shops there and enjoyed them, but always mention the Sunday market, which expands your shopping options. There are some interesting, but higher-end, shops in the Mall, as well.
Aug 21st, 2007, 05:24 AM

We will be at the Balalaika Sandton at the end of October. Can someone recommend a restaurant near the hotel?