Gifts for Rangers & Trackers

Old Apr 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gifts for Rangers & Trackers

We are leaving for Cape Town, Mala Mala, and Ngala on April 11. In addition to tips, do you recommend that we give t-shirts from U.S. and/or cosmetic and make-up samples (for the ladies in their lives) to the drivers and trackers? Anything else? Thanks for your suggestions.

Carole
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:37 AM

We gave mini-mag lights in bright colors to our drivers and trackers-they were very popular! We also had leatherman tools that were a hit. In addition to the tip of course. The t-shirts were less popular, and I didn't try makeup. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:03 AM

We usually take kind of assortment of - depending on how many camps/lodges we visit, where. We usually only handout below items to trackers, drivers, behind the scene staff:

- head lamps and some sets of batteries
- multi functional tool
- camping cutlery
- knife/cover with belt loop

for their ladies:

- nail nécessaire
- cosmetics (smple lipsticks, eyeshadow etc)
- scissors

generally speaking: we leave used clothes with the "behind the scenes" staff mostly - incl. T-shirts, coats, leather jackets - all sorts of staff which is in very good condition.

We also take children's clothing, books, pencils, exercise books, modeling clay, puzzles etc.

SV
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM

While I understand the desire to give tips for good service, and would be happy to give gifts as well, I wonder how I am to take some of the items mentioned above with the weight limit I have on baggage?
I am also trying to keep everything into carryon luggage. Perhaps, I will take an extra bag and check it and fill it with the stuff to give away, and replace the items in that bag with the stuff I buy. I will be going to Botswana in May, and am staying a 4 different camps.

amy
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM

This sounds culturally dangerous to me, unless you already know the guide well enough to exchange small gifts.

I would certainly expect to have an amiable relationship with my guide, tracker, and any other people either whom I hire directly or who work for a camp where I stay; however, it is still a professional (client-customer) relationship.

What you intend as a well-meaning gift could conceivably be interpreted as a condescending trinket, an insult. Guides and trackers have respected and important jobs, and I try to treat them with the same professional courtesy that I would treat similar people in my own culture.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:57 PM

For Botswana and flying between camps, the baggage weight limits are more restrictive than most other internal African flights. Something to consider.

Generally, I bring gifts for people I know and am able to distribute on arrival so not limited when it comes to internal flights.

Otherwise, I find that a few extra $$$ in the tip are always welcomed.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM

I've only given small items that are representative of my home. When I'm returning and I know the people, I'll bring a bit more.

One thing that was a hit was my sunglasses. When guides don't use them, I'll ask if they like sunglasses or prefer not to wear them. Sometimes the answer is they don't like them. When the answer is they just don't have them, I give them one of the spare pairs I have and I don't wait until the end of the trip. My sunglasses are drug store variety so they are not expensive.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:47 PM

I've only given gifts on return trips to people I know.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:06 PM

I would only take gifts on return trips to people I know, as Patty says above. Tips of a monetary nature are accepted the world over by people from all sorts of cultures and professions and is a polite way of showing appreciation. It is easy to end up being condescending, as Rizzuto says. The only exception I made on one trip was to give our guide some colouring pencils our children had been given on board the plane, for his children. But it was a gift from our kids to his so I considered this ok.

Sunglasses are a great idea and Lynn's method of checking if guides actually would wear them is excellent. I shall remember that as it is a useful item and you can treat it as an aside "oh, I always carry spare glasses with me, have a pair of mine".

It is easy to tread all over people's sense of pride and dignity even though we are trying to be thoughtful.

KymH … giving Leatherman tools!! You can come and stay at my house if that is the kind of gift you give!
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:28 AM

I agree with the posts above -- money doesn't weigh much or take up much room in your luggage, people can always use it (including most of us on this board, I imagine!), and it's not (or rarely) condescending as a gift.

I've sent Christmas gifts back to friends we made in Africa, but only after I got to know them and had an idea of what they might like. For instance, my husband has written a lot of music inspired by our African travels, and we've sent recordings of our band playing it back to our guides in Kenya, Uganda & Tanzania. I've also sent photo books and video DVDs. If I'm ever fortunate enough to re-visit some of the guys, I would definitely bring gifts for them and their families. We did bring toys and games for the kids at an orphanage we visited and supplies to some projects we visited (like Virunga Artisans), which is a different situation altogether than bringing things for the guides.

Another situation that came up for us is that one of our wonderful guides in Uganda did not have his own pair of binoculars, and we had 2 pairs that we rarely use. At the end of the trip I asked if he would like to have one, and he was so happy -- he said he'd been saving up to buy his own. (We also gave him a cash tip, of course.) In that case I didn't feel it was condescending, because it was something he could use much more than we could, and by then he had become a good friend, as well.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:50 AM

Carole
Only after I read the other posts it came to my mind that one receiving a gift one could consider it " condescending" based on the fact that's AFRICA!?
C'mon - we hand out gifts all the time - not only when we travel Africa and nobody considered a gift "condescending". E.g. our DHL guy gets gifts as well as the rubbish collector (we have 4 different ones) or our maiden or gardener.
Therefore we would have never thought giving gifts being "condescending". I myself get gifts all the time when visiting or working at fairs and exhibitions, in hotels, resorts, camps etc. I also don't consider a gift "condescending" nor unprofessional. The opposite is the case. These guys ALWAYS appreciate what one brings especially as it shows one has thought about them respectively evaluated what they appreciate.

And of course - these gifts are on top of the tip.

It's up to you to decide.....

Regarding the luggage - of course one can only do that when having checked in luggage.

As we fly business class we always have far more allowance than we need and therefore take these gifts incl. clothes. And we pack according to out itinerary to comply with domestic taxi flight rules.

Ah ja - who ever has seen the shine on the face of a guide who got down jackets, ski underwear, turtle necks in all sizes for family members would always pursuit to hand out such stuff again and again.

If it would be considered " condescending" I doubt these guys would give us Christmas calls etc.

SV
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:25 PM

Per safarichuck's idea, on my arrival at camp I'm going to give my guides that are into photography a nice camera memory card .

regards - tom
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM

As long as the gifts are alongside rather than replacing a cash tip, and are not crass or insensitive, I can't see why they would be considered condescending.

I take hostess gifts when I go to stay with friends and family. And I give gifts to friends who've helped me with something whether it be an informal lesson in how to improve my photo processing skills, a shoulder to cry or vent on when going through a difficult time or helping me out by giving me a lift somewhere.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your advice on gifts for the rangers and trackers, and also for all other information in planning our SA trip. We are now in the midst of packing, and needless to say, we are very excited for our 1st trip to Africa! Upon our return, I will be happy to post a trip report, (when we are back on track). Again, many thanks to all.

Carole
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:31 AM

I am trying to remember to mail gifts to or wonderful guides (we tipped while there), and I got those neck bandannas that you soak in water that swell up and keep you cool. Khaki for the gents, and a khaki/pink floral for the ladies, so they can wear them with their work uniforms.

http://blubandoo.com/product_info.php?products_id=2

I think these would be handy, and I know mine kept me nice and cool.

But, I think the most important is a nice letter that can go in their personnel file, and cash.