Gifts for African kids; schlepping same

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gifts for African kids; schlepping same

I've read some threads but still don't have a real answer to:
What to bring as children's or school gifts, and how MANY of same to bring?
Is there an alternative -- i.e., something I can give, do, or buy when I visit?
My personal concern is that I am a SMALL person traveling solo with ONE bag plus a carryon (going on Micato tour in January)!
Thanks
Jess
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Consider Life Straws. These were developed in the Netherlands and used to purify water thru a 1'wide straw with filter and some chemical that cleans dirty water. Cost, from some online sites shows $7.50 each, but in volumn these can be had for half that.

Recent NBC special on "water" had segment about dirty water that residents have to drink, children especially coming down with diseases. With this straws now hanging off their necks they can drink clean water.

Of course, anyone traveling in areas where quality of available water is questionable should consider this item... for the timebeing "think about the children."

Along with mossie net, these Life Straws are better gifts and enhance the environment and quality of like of those living here.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Good gift ideas!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM

a check

or

ask the headmaster/principal before you go to see what they need
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Sandi
I love the Life Straw idea- can't find it on line though for anywhere NEAR that price...any clues?
Thanks
Jess
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 03:35 AM

Jess - The price listed on most sites is $14.95/each. But purchased in volume of thousands, can bring that down by half if not more. The gal who brought her supply to the Masai paid a bit less than $4/each... believe it was either 2,000 or 20,000/pieces.

Contact the suppliers and find out at what quantity the prices decrease. It can be a sizeable investment for a single person, but combined with other contributions, can be done.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Just an aside to the "life straws" segment on tv; I emailed the women involved to find out how I could purchase them to take on my trip in 2008. I could not believe the response from her. In short, she wanted me to book my trip with her and when I told her I already had my itinerary in place, she then asked me if I had my deposit in! Then, told me all the places that I was staying were wrong for the "migration" and I was going to be SORRY I did not book with her. This from someone supporting humanitarian efforts on national tv. I guess it does not apply OUTSIDE of her own travel agency. I was so turned off by her that I am on my own mission to find the straws myself. She ended by saying, "Send me a check." Right. As long as the camera is filming . Cc
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 09:15 PM

I bought big bags of foam adhesive letters and sorted them by letter then made smaller bags of 2 alphabets each to give to schools or adults who could get them to children. I also bought the small 6x6" bathtub foam books - I selected the Lilo and Stitch story steering away from the undesirable stereo-types. Perhaps zories, Finding Nemo or Madagascar type bandaids and baby asprin travel well. Have fun.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 06:46 AM

Aagron, please read the new post with your name in the title, thanks.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM

cha -

Appalling response. Instead of welcoming your interest, she could only think to sell you her services and then saying what you've already done is all wrong. Considering that's not what you asked... amazing.

It would serve her if you conveyed this rude response to NBC. As they say, "what goes around" often bites you in the butt!
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 02:50 PM

Sandi, thank you for your reply. Yes, I was extremely disappointed in Linda Friedman's response to my inquiry as to how I could help with her Lifestraw project. Unfortunately she was using her forum (my opinion) to solicit clients. If you look at her website, it is two former clients of hers that actually started the program. Hopefully it will grow with or without Ms. Friedman's help. She was more interested in telling me she was a "Conde Nast Top" agent. I hated to tell her I did not care. I think our forum probably has more top-rated agents than Conde Nast could ever hope for. Anyway, live and learn!
I have continued to look into the Lifestraws ( I though, darn-it, I will find them myself!) There are many articles on them; apparently in 2005 they were named a top-rated "new" invention to help...but now the company wants to sell in bulk to "official" aid companies. But if anyone is interested there are many sites where groups are raising funds to buy them. I am not savy enough to post their sites like all of you do..sorry..I do need "url's for dummies"! I just google and they pop up!
One other thing you may be interested in - Ms. Friedman told me she would give me a "heads up" that she would be once again on NBC with a show on the "migration" with Martin Flescher. Just in case anyone wants to Tivo it.
Cc >
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM

do we know for a fact that Life Straws are what the schools need? Wouldn't it be better to give them the cash so that they could purchase what they need locally, thus promoting local businesses, or just asking them what they want and bringing it? Maybe they have water purification equipment already, but need something else? I think it is a little arrogant to assume that we know what their needs are. Please don't get me wrong, these Life Straws sound awesome, and are probably precisely what the teacher ordered, but, what if they aren't?
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 04:08 PM

"Of course, anyone traveling in areas where quality of available water is questionable should consider this item..."

Sandi, the current LifeStraw does not filter parasites, mainly giardia or crypto. It is beneficial, but as a person who travels, I would want something more substantial in areas with questionable water.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:14 AM

Small calculators and "Nerf"-style balls were a big hit with the kids when we visited last January.

I asked my local mortgage lenders for the credit-card-size calculators they give out free to clients and Realtors. They were happy to donate for a good cause. The calculators packed easily in my luggage and didnt add much weight.

The soft Nerf balls also pack easily.

No matter how much you bring, it will never feel like enough. I wished that I had brought an entire suitcase of supplies! Next time......
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:30 AM

Lifestraws are not for the schools, nor tourists. They were requested by medical teams working in the Mara because of the horrible water conditions and the children consistently being sick and dying. They are for the Massai and their children who live there and must use the dirty water that is shared by the game, used for laundry,cleaning - and the only water available for consumption. It's not something one could easily pack to take as a gift. It was more as a community effort to get these straws to those children that desperately need clean water. I would never recommend a hiker using them.
There are numerous reports on them throughout the web if anyone wants to educate themselves.
CC
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:37 AM

When I visited a school in Cambodia last year, in addition to making a cash donation to enable 20 kids to attend school for the year, we also brought along inflatable globes and other fund tschoke(sp?) school supplies like erasers, pencils. etc. The globes are only $1 each...they were a hit with the kids and I would definitely plan on bringing some on future Africa trips.
http://tinyurl.com/27bvzs
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:48 AM

Oriental Trading company: inflatable soccer balls, 9.95 per dozen; I purchased these for a church group who traveled to South America. Big hit with the kids. Easy to pack, inflate there and distribute.Cc
orientaltrading.com
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:27 AM

cha -

Thanks for your research. Just checked Ms. Friedman's website and personally feel it's lacking regardless that she's been on Conde Nast List of whatever whatever. From my own experience, before I was "in the business" did I find many of those on the Conde Nast List to be helpful. Yes, this forum is a much better resource, regardless which outfitters those interested in travel to Africa choose to use.

All that aside, besides gifts as mentioned above for schools/children - globes, soccer balls, marking pens, craft paper, maps, Nerf-balls , etc. - there are some items that help everyone in improving their lives. This includes: Mossie Nets (see: www.nothingbutnets.com) and the Life Straws.

Every bit helps.