Gift ideas for an Israeli family?

Jun 29th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Gift ideas for an Israeli family?

When in Israel my son will be spending a few days with a family and we are going to have him give them a little gift. I would love any ideas of what to get. We live in New England - thought of getting pancake mix and Vermont maple syrup. If you have any ideas of what Israelis might like from the states or specifically New England I would appreciate it. He is travelling with Patriots t-shirts and key rings for Israeli teens he meets but ideas for the parents is what I am looking for. Thanks.
Jun 30th, 2005, 04:07 AM
sandi

Juldie -

Surprisingly, there isn't much that cannot be found in Israel that we have at home. Pancake mix and maple syrup might be one of them, then it might not be available.

I love going into super markets when traveling to see what's on the shelves and surprised often to see many products that we have at home; likewise the items we don't find at home.

But, it's the idea that you thought to bring a gift that matters. However, if it is food, check to find out whether this family "keeps Kosher" and if so, be careful with your purchase. If not sure, "go with Kosher" - this way it's eddible for everyone.

If your son is going through an organization that may have some background on the family withh whom he will be staying; the person organizing these arrangements may have some suggestions for you.

Hope this helps.

Jun 30th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Sandi - He is going through an organization but they didn't offer any suggestions. If not food, does anyone have a suggestion? I thought of a Red Sox Monopoly game.
Jun 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM
sandi

Juldie - Just sent email to my brother... he always has kids visiting all over and should have some good ideas. Will let you know as soon as I do.

Jun 30th, 2005, 05:29 PM

Jldie,

1. American booze, like Bailey's or Whisky, or any kind of special wine.

2. Godiva or any hi-end chocolate, but REALLY hi-end, since Israeli chocolate is superb, at the same level of Swiss chocolate...

3. Special tea that you can find in one of those specialty store (again, only REALLY hi-end stuff, since Israel has really a good variety of tea...)
Jun 30th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Mamamia - the booze is a great idea - no problem packing it in a suitcase to be checked? Is all liquor kosher? Is Lindt chocolate considered high-end enough?
Jul 1st, 2005, 04:36 AM
sandi

Juldie -

I wouldn't pack any liquor in your checked bag. I'd hate, should the bottle break, for your child to have to walk around in clothing smelling like the corner bar/pub.

No, all liquor is not kosher, but a good wine shop/liquor store in your hometown will have a fine selection of those that are kosher. Be aware though, that the same kosher wines can be found in Israel.

It's the thought that your son is bringing a gift (whatever it might be) for his hosts is what is important.

Tea, on the other hand, is neutral. Nothing in it that shouldn't be kosher, except for those who might consider the preparation of the tea (if bags vs loose) isn't according to kosher law.

That is the reason I thought that the organization under whom your son is traveling could advise about the particular family he'd be visiting. If the family is secular, there should no problem with food products.

Is your son traveling with a religious organization - Jewish, Christian, Muslim (if the later, most Muslims don't drink alcohol), or non-sectarian. I'm surprised this organization can't provide you with more details; I'm certain you're not the only parent asking this question.

Jul 1st, 2005, 06:52 AM
sandi

Juldie -

Right from my brother's email:

"A colleague just left for
Israel this week and took 3 bottles of maple syrup to family. They were
actually LARGE bottles. Kosher should not be a serious problem. There may
actually be some brands of syrup that have kosher symbols* and that might
even be available in New England, particularly if they live in or are near a "large" city/town. As well, if the maple syrup is "pure", most people are likely to eat it even without a kosher symbol.

Do not bring pancake mix, however.

Today, with Israel having everything electronic and just about everything
else that we have, it really is difficult to bring something unless you know the people and what their particular needs."

*symbol - look for a K or a U/O (U with an O around it) on either the front or back label.

... and Juldie - most maple syrup comes in plastic containers, so light weight and easier to transport. If you pack in your son's checked baggage, be certain it's in a tightly closed plastic bag with some bubble wrap surrounding. Maple syrup wouldn't smell much better then liquor should this break... and it's so sticky. LOL!

Hope this helps. Your son will have a wonderful experience.

Jul 1st, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi for checking with your brother. That was so nice. I think I am going to get of course pure maple syrup and maybe a few small things from New England. I don't want him to travel with candy in the heat or take any chances with the liquor.
Jul 1st, 2005, 05:22 PM

Maple syrup is a great idea. In fact our friends from New England always bring that as a house gift wrapped in a New England style tea towel, which I like.
Jul 1st, 2005, 06:13 PM

Juldie,

While I think Pure Maple syroup is a good idea, Lindt chocolate is NOT...

Israel's chocolate is as good as any Swiss chocolate... And you can also get any of the famouse Swiss brands in Israel.

I was thinking about one of those hi-class "boutique" style chocolate, hand made by a small company, filled with liquer, for instance...

But, you know what, stick to Maple, as long as it's hi-quality, pure Maple...
Jul 1st, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Tomorrow I am going to go to a local farm stand and try and find the maple syrup in a tin that is in the shape of a log cabin. I like the idea of wrapping it in a tea towel with a New England motif. My son leaves Sunday and he is so excited.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 04:21 AM
sandi

Juldie - Glad to be able to help.

Jul 6th, 2005, 11:44 PM

I completely agree with maple syrup as a perfect gift. We stayed last week on a kibbutz that served pancakes at breakfast each day. The previous week at a high end hotel they also served pancakes and french toast. But the Israel syrup was pretty bad so I'm sure maple syrup would be used and appreciated for how special it is!
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:35 PM

I was visiting a family with a teenage son. A GREAT hit was a 3-d mouse pad I brought from San Francisco. Check your local computer and gift shops.
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Well... now it's my turn to "struggle" with the gift ideas. My challenge is: I join a 10-day tour first, then visit friends, so my gifts must be unbreakable and preferrable light-weight and not bulky.

So I went to a gift shop in San Francisco and got lots of souvenirs.

But I found this thread for a different reason. If somebody's going to visit a family right away, and if there is a Trader Joe around - at work we got tins of "peppermint bark" - being in tins it's easy to transport, not too minty, dark and white chocolate, and a great gift!

Just sharing a sweet idea
Feb 15th, 2006, 05:21 PM

For kids/teens/young adults-
American brand items-especially Abercrombie...Sports teams....
American music CDs

Search this Thread