Need ideas for gifts for Russian host family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son is leaving for Russia in a few weeks. He will studying over there and living with a family in Moscow. They have three children 12, 15 and 20 yrs old. Does anyone have any suggestions on what types of gifts my son should bring over for them?
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 07:56 AM

It depends on the economical situation of the host family. If they are billionaires, things are different.

If not, there are probably rather poor. So, gifts with a practical value are most appreciated. For the teenagers, t-shirts or sweatshirts might be a good choice (with a logo of your area/university).

For the adults, it is more difficult. No t-shirt for the lady, many Russian ladies do not wear t-shirts. Maybe some household gadget?
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 09:27 AM

One of my DDs friends is on exchange in Russia right now. The gifts she brought to her host family were ones that were unique to our area. The only one that I specifically remember, was a gift for the mother. It was a classic Pendleton wool blanket, and the mother adored it. I can ask my friend (the girls mother) what else her DD took as gifts if you like. Just let me know.

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

That would be great mms. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 08:27 AM

My daughter-in-law is from Lithuania which used to be a part of the USSR. When they visit, or when we went, unqiue foods have been welcomed. Real maple syrup, spicy sauces, high-end US whiskey etc. A HUGE favorite was brown sugar (something that is completely unavailable there), chocolate chips and a lesson in baking chocolate chip cookies. Your son could do this I assume. I've sent high quality totes that can be used for shopping. A calendar showing highlights from your state. Have him bring tons of pictures (not as gifts) of the area you live in, not just your house but parks, typical streets, shopping areas etc.too.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM

I spoke to my friend today and asked her about the gifts. She said the biggest hit was peanut butter. Apparently that is not available there and they are quite intrigued by it. She sends the natural kind, since their diets are not used to all the processed stuff.

She said other hits are basically everything unique to our area. Like the Pendleton blanket, local jams, etc. But one thing the kids of the host families really enjoy are college items. So she sends sweatshirts, notebooks, decals, etc from the Universities in our state.

The families also really like the coffee table type of books about our area. Ones with lots of pictures. She supplemented those with postcards, so those kids could share with their classmates and such.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:28 AM

Clothes are extremely expensive over there. I'd suggest maybe t-shirts, sweat-shirts (someone else on this post suggested the same), baseball hats with maybe your town logo or a local sport team. For a woman - i'd pick up some nice perfume...Russian women have a great taste in perfumes but, again, these are very heavy ticket items there. Well, all this applicable to a regular middle-class family. If a host is a rich one, hmmm, then top quality liquer.