Europeans shopping in US

Search

Europeans shopping in US

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europeans shopping in US

There have been several threads inquiring what travelers can purchase in other countries such as Britain, France, Germany, Spain etc.
Thus, I have been wondering what do the Europeans buy when they come to the US.
From my travels around the world, I am noticing that these days one can buy almost everything everywhere. Yet, we all love to buy a small souvenir or some special food item from places we visit.
Hope to get some interesting replies here.

This idea also came to mind as I am getting ready to travel to London to attend a wedding. I have been pondering what this young couple would like from the US. In fact, I cant come up with one thing they would love from the US. It seems everything I see in the stores is made in China so there is nothing really American about it, so I think it is not worthwhile carrying it.
Thus leaning towards giving a cash gift.
Would love hearing any comments on this subject too. Thanks.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM

If they smoke then we KNOW what they buy here
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 01:11 PM

Jeans. Much cheaper than here.
Special gear commissioned by local authorities, like NYPD.
Ghirardelli chocolate.
Anything seriously corny or kitschy.
Anything 1950s or 1960s.. if only by looks.
Sports gear, esp. from well-known colleges or the school of the city you live in.
Kitchen or household goods.
Nothing electrical because of different voltage/plugs.
Anything that is emblematic for the neck of the woods you live in.
P.S. I think that it is a common misconception of some US posters that Europeans think little of what the USA have to offer.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 01:13 PM

The things that I know people tell me that they shop for when they come to the US or when they visit family in Europe from the US are usually things you wouldn't really think of as a gift.
Friends from Portugal were thrilled with the price of Levi jeans they could buy for their two sons when they visited here.
Another person said that she always takes linens to their family when she visits.
These items may not be actually made in the US but according to them, the price was much better than they can buy where they live.
Our prices must just be better for these items and with the exchange rate they thought they got a real bargain.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM

I try to buy something from the area I have visited. So I brought back maple syrup from my Rte 66 trip since we went to Funks Grove, and a Navajo Bison. From our Arizona/New Mexico trip I brought back some more Navajo pottery and jewellery for my daughters in law. I don't remember what we've brought back for ourselves from California to be honest - I know we brought back a Mexican blanket my son wanted one time, but can't think if we've brought anything else back, I rather think not. From the Pacific Northwest it was just some cranberry candies this time. Oh and some sand dollars we found on the beach. I got little chance to find anything else there.
We also always bring back clothing - Levis and the like, though that's no help to you!
There are plenty of lovely things I see in the US I'd bring back if I got the chance but my husband wont let me .
Are there any local craftspeople near you making special original things you like? Or some small native American gift? perhaps something relative to a wedding?
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Actually linens are a great idea, or towels - I love US bed linens and towels, made from US cotton of course .
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Handmade quilts are high on some wishlists. Suitcases, tennis rackets, golf balls, cosmetics, Levis and clothes in general. Especially ladies love to shop for clothes in the US. I've just had a request by 2 teenagers for 2 Obama shirts

In the past, it used to be terry towels and sheets, although the pillow cases needed to be altered and they can't use fitted sheets. I once had a houseguest who took some steaks home....
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM

Why are you asking this question?

They've invited YOU to their wedding, not the American ambassador. So it's your job to give them the present that you think they'll want - abnd the odds are they've told you what that is in the invitation. If you were invited to a wedding in another state, would you seriously give the unfortunate couple something evocative of your state? And would you seriously refuse to buy them bedlinen because it was made from Egyptian cotton?

So let's consign this gibberish about maple leaf syrup and college sweatshirts to the same scrapheap you'd throw a packet of crumpets onto if some idiot Briton gave you one for your wedding.

If the couple want Americana, they've doubtless got the gumption to get on a plane and buy the Americana of THEIR (not your) choice. Could be a New York Dolls vinyl LP. Could be a bottle of Makers Mark. But it's what THEY like - and the fact that someone on this board once found a German who said they liked jelly beans tells you tiddly squat about what your acquaintances want.

Yes, you can buy everything everywhere, more or less. <b> So having a foreign guest at a wedding is no longer exotic </b>. The couple want presents to stsrt their married life off with- not some assertion of your nartional identity

If they're British, chances are their wedding present wants are on the John Lewis, or a competitor, wedding list site. And that will have been made clear on your invitation. Etiquette requires you to choose from their nominated list - not from the deranged fantasies of people who seem to think cheap Levis are a suitable gift to celebrate a wedding.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM

When my European friends come to the USA, they all want to flock to TJ Maxx and Marshall's and all the discount places. I don't think Europe really has anything comparable.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 02:17 PM

TJ Maxx have Eurpean subsidiaries (called TK Maxx) operating in UK, Ireland and Germany, with 235 stores.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Hmmm, judging by my workplace, wedding gowns are a big draw too (needless to say, I wouldn't bring one though!). I've had customers come to the US just to shop for wedding gowns, not to mention the folks who have combined business or other trips with wedding shopping.

A wedding gift isn't like a hostess gift, though, where you want to find something cute and unusual (and maybe not available locally). Probably, unless they are registered for houseware items that you can get here (and bring to them) with a minimum of trauma, your best bet is cash or equivalent (like a gift card, assuming that they have those in Britain).
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 02:43 PM

"Etiquette requires you to choose from their nominated list"

Not so in the US, where lists are a suggestion, and it is an etiquette violation to demand a gift (that would be extortion, not a gift, I guess). Customs do vary, don't they? Thanks for alerting us Yanks to yours.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 02:48 PM

I have to say I agree with flanner. Get them a nice present or give them cash.

Linens are a classic wedding gift. You can pack a set of damask napkins pretty easily, for instance.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Wow, so many thoughtful replies.
I have already made up my mind to give a cash gift.
But was just writing this post to hear suggestions and ideas--maybe something unique .
Truly appreciate your time. Have a great evening.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 12:03 AM
hsv

>>Yes, you can buy everything everywhere, more or less. So having a foreign guest at a wedding is no longer exotic .<<

Are you implying foreign wedding guests can be bought?
Now that is quite an original prospect of a potenatial wedding present.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 12:47 AM

It is true that in general you can buy almost anything everyhwere these days, but I still likle to shop in the US (and other foreign countries). Because brands are different, products are made different, prices are different etc.

In the US I really like to shop for clothes (for myself and the kids), for instance at the Gap (more choice, lower price than here in the EU; as is the case with a lot of US-brands). Plus I always like to roam around the large supermarkets to see what 'exotic' products they have. I usually only take home some small stuff: jelly beans (indeed...), chocolate (candy bars we don't have over here) and soft drinks (again the ones we don't have over here). I also really like to roam the drugstores a bit. A lot things which are OTC in the US (cough medicine with sleaping aids for instance), are not available OTC here. Bookstores (even though al books can be bought on Amazon...) are also a frequant stop on m\y shopping list. I really like to browse and tak home a stack of paperbacks (lower price and wider choice again.)
And finally I always try to find some small (tacky...) souvenir form the area we visited.

I agree with Cowboy1968 on this "P.S. I think that it is a common misconception of some US posters that Europeans think little of what the USA have to offer." I do like to travel to the US and I do like to shop there! In general the choicer is better and the price is lower!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:17 AM

I know when I go home to Canada I stock up on Glad ziplock bags and containers! Also Glad garbage bags! I also like cinnamon gum and north american peanut butter hahaha. Oh and Ibuprofen because in Canada you can buy it double the UK brands over the counter!

Of course I wouldnt suggest any of these as weddings gifts hahaha
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe off at a tangent because a) I have never been to the US and b) It has nothing to do with a wedding but were I coming to the US and had money to spend, then I would be looking to buy computer equipment - specifically a laptop, Software and possibly a decent Camera.

Thse are just areas of interest to me and the price differences can be very. Software by companies like Adobe and Microsoft is often 30-50% more expensive in Europe than un the US. There is a similar situation with cameras - a Particular Canon model was $250 in the US but £240 in the UK.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:40 AM

When buying IT equipment, software or digital cameras, watch out for:
1) Cameras normally only come with US warranty. International cover is either unavailable or costs extra.
2) US laptops come with US keyboard - no £ or € sign etc.
3) With software, many are localized. Check carefully if the US version you buy can be installed with British English or International English setting. And there may be no support for US-sourced applications, if this is important to you.
4) When you bring goods back into UK, import duty (on some goods) and VAT is payable, if bringing in more than the tax-free allowance of £300.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:43 AM

willit, I have often thought of buying a camera in the US, indeed I did do so once, my first SLR. But the guarantee is always a problem with them. If something goes wrong it may not be honoured by the European branch of the camera company, unless you have managed to get a worldwide guarantee. Even then you only have 1 year guarantee as opposed to two in Europe. Having said that I still hope to get to New York with a great wodge of money to spend at B&H one of these days . Lenses will be top of the list then though.
The fact that we are severely limited in how much we can bring back from the US money wise by the Dutch customs is a bit of a downer too. You must declare cameras, computers and the like for the company to honour the guarantee - otherwise it as seen as a grey import and they do not have to honour it. they have recently increased the amount I can import tax free, to €430 but that is soon gone if you are talking DSLRs and lenses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -