Getting funky with it....Dubai/Zanzibar/Tanzania

Oct 21st, 2005, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Getting funky with it....Dubai/Zanzibar/Tanzania

I am just dreaming up ways to make Tanzania an attractive sell to my wife. Rather than three wasteful nights in Arusha, I am thinking of something like this that will allow me to combine Dubai, Zanzibar and my 11 night safari, as well as taking advantage of the Feb 20th Presidents Day holiday:

Feb 18 - Depart LAX to London
Feb 19 - London to Dubai
Feb 19 - Dubai, One & Only Resort, 3 nights
Feb 22 - Dubai to Dar Es Salaam, overnight at 5* Hotel.
Feb 23 - Dar Es Salaam to Zanzibar, probably by boat, if we can do this halfway in style. 3 nights at Palms Zanzibar.
Feb 26 - Transfer to Stone Town. 1 night at Emerson & Green.
Feb 27 - Morning flight to Arusha. Transfer to Manyara Tree Lodge, 2 nights.
Mar 01 - Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, 2 nights
Mar 03 - Olduvai Camp, 1 night
Mar 04 - Nomad Masek, 2 nights
Mar 06 - Nomad Piaya, 2 nights
Mar 08 - Mbuzi Mawe, 2 nights
Mar 10 - Seronera to Dar Es Salaam. Mid Afternoon flight to Dubai
Mar 11 - Early morning arrival to Dubai. Dubai to London to Los Angeles.

SUMMARY
One & Only, Dubai (3)
Royal Palms?, Dar Es Salaam (1) Is this the name of the hotel I am looking for in DAR?
Palms Zanzibar (3)
Emerson & Green (1)
Manyara Tree Lodge (2)
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge (2)
Olduvai Camp (1)
Nomad Masek (2)
Nomad Piaya (2)
Mbuzi Mawe (2)

Does anyone think it is a bad idea to start with Dubai and Zanzibar, rather than ending with Dubai and Zanzibar? I like taking that three day break in Dubai, before a somewhat short flight to Dar Es Salaam.

This itinerary is 8 nights of luxury resorts/hotels and 11 nights of safari in mostly luxury camps/lodges. In comparison, my recently completed safari was only 4 nights luxury hotel/15 nights luxury camps/lodges.

Another positive note I see in all this is that there is just so much Middle Eastern/Arabic influence on this itinerary.

The one night in Stone Town is both for an easy transfer to Arusha to start the safari and for just a bit of that intense culture. I prefer the watered down culture that we will get in Dubai, in all honesty, so one night in Stone Town may be perfect.

The more I look at this, the more I realize that I am going to have to cancel my flying lessons, unfortunately. This trip really is right around the corner and I would have to pay ATR within about 95 days. That is $100 per day for the next 95 days and doesn't even include international airfare, the Dubai portion or the Zanzibar portion.

Silly me thinking that I would save money by going to Tanzania instead of Botswana!

I guess the other option would be this:

Dubai (3)
Arusha or Dar Es Salaam (1) I would prefer Dar Es Salaam if it allowed me to still get an early enough arrival in Arusha and onward to Lake Manyara.
Northern Circuit Safari (11)
Stone Town (1)
Palms Zanzibar (3)

I am very disappointed that there are no South American gateways into Eastern Africa. If anybody knows of any, please advise, as the other option would still be to go to Buenos Aires for about 4 nights, followed by about 12 nights on safari (including a mandatory night in Arusha) and then four nights in Zanzibar. Thanks.
Oct 21st, 2005, 05:19 AM
sandi

Roccco -

I see that "Dubai" comment of mine in the other thread peeked your attention.

Alexsandra would definitely like, but remember it's very very hot here. Sure everything is air conditioned, especially the mall and gold market. So, then - Go for it!

Oct 21st, 2005, 06:15 AM

I am curious as to why you think the middle eastern/arabic culture you seem to value so highly will be "watered down" in Dubai. Could you enlighten us please?

Oct 21st, 2005, 08:49 AM
bat

Rocco:
I think the Palms would be a much stronger, relaxing, luxurious finish than Mbuzi Mawe.

Remember that your 3 nights in Arusha are only 2 days, very late arrival on day 1--so one day shopping for tanzanite and one for the marathon. I wonder what it would cost to switch from Moivaro to a more luxurious location--Arusha Coffee Lodge perhaps.
Oct 21st, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

fuzzy,

Dubai is basically a "new" city that I believe is full of luxury hotels & resorts, night clubs, restaurants, etc.

On the flip side, I believe that Stone Town will be more traditional and while it will boast a few modern hotels, for the most part I don't think it will be as westernized as Dubai.

Would you agree or disagree with this synopsis?

Search this Thread