Trip to Cairo, Alexandria, Tripoli and Benghazi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am off on a cruise next month to these wonderful places. I was wondering if people had any advice for excursions and shopping and so on.
I would be most grateful if you advise me of any ideas of itineries you may have.
Many thanks Chris Goodwin
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Can't really advise on the Libya leg of your journey (Tripoli & Benghazi).... Alexandria should be very pleasent in November.... worth a day or two of visits:
* The Catacombs,
* Pompeii’s Pillar
* The Montazah Palace and Gardens
* Kaitbay Citadel,
* The Alexandria Library (Bibliotheca Alexandrina)http://www.bibalex.org/English/index.asp

You will probably reach Cairo by bus or train (it is 200 km and 3 hours away from Alexandria)... there you can easily keep busy for three to four days if you do so wish. The obvious sites / destinations:
* Giza Pyramids & Sphinx (+ sound & light show in the evening)
* Saqqara Pyramids
* Egyptian Museum
* The Citadel & Mohamed Aly Mosque
* The Bazaar in old Cairo (Khan El Khalili)
* Coptic Cairo (old christian): Hanging Church, Coptic Museum
* Lunch or dinner on a boat cruising the Nile
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Just returned fromEgypt this morning(with ther Flu !!)

I agree with all the places Sherif just mentioned.

You are on a cruise so I am wondering how you are doing Cairo and Alexandria at the same time unless your ship docks for a few days.

The train ride from Alexandria to Cairo is about $15.00 US and it takes 2 hours and 20 minutes ..better take a taxi from the train staion when you get to Cairo or better still, have Debbie Senters meet you there...she is a lady ( from the USA) in her mid 40's who does small group tours.

She toured us our first day in Cairo and then went with us for a full day tour to Alexandria...

Also you will need someone to take you shopping at the Khan El Khalil Bazaar in Cairo and Debbie does a great job on this and makes sure you do not overpay for anything.

Percy

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sherif and Percy,

Your advice is gratefully received. Percy would you have an e-mail address where I can contact Debbie. She sounds perfect for the job at hand.
We are moored up in Alexandria for three days enabling us o go to Cairo for a day trip.
Many thanks chris
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:28 PM

Chris: I'm sure Percy's guide is very good but if I thought I'd pass on info on the world's greatest guide IMHO> I was in Egypt last year with a group of friends and we had the most amazing guide in Cairo and Alexandria. His name is Amr Salem and his email is [email protected]. Amr is in his mid-30's, extremely well educated, very knowledgable, excellent English (1 of his cousins lives in CA and he's been to the States several times so he gets US humor).

After we left Northern Egypt, we headed south and had a different guide (I was very disappointed to learn we could have paid a little more $$ and Amr go with us the entire trip...lesson learned for next trip). The guide down south was horrid but thanks to Amr and the info he gave us, I was able to piece together what out southern guide was saying (or not as his English was very bad). While traveling in northern Egypt, Amr would relate what we were seeing to what we would see in southern Egypt so it made for a great experience. When we returned from Sharm, Amr took us to Alexandria so I was able to ask him questions about the things I saw in southern Egypt as the guide down there wasn't able to answer them.

A long way of saying, Amr is FABULOUS!!! I can't say enough nice things about him. Enjoy your trip...Egypt is a wonderful place!!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 01:18 PM

chrisamg

Yes you can contact Debbie at:

[email protected]

I am sure that there are many good English speaking guides in Caairo.

I am sure you will be pleased with Debbie also.

Debbie and her guide showed us all the places Sherif has mentioned plus more.

Have a nice time

Percy

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 01:32 PM

ttt