Nov 6 BC
Nov. 7 fly to NBO Serena Hotel
Nov. 8th NBO-KGL drive to Gorilla's Nest
Nov 9th gorilla trek Gorilla's Nest
Nov. 10th gorilla trek Gov's or Virunga lodge
Nov. 11th drive to Kigali, city tour, Serena hotel
Nov. 12th KGL-NBO Serena hotel
Nov. 13th NBO-DXB

I decided to just stay the 5nts in the Mara at one place since we are doing so much moving around as it is-that last night in NBO is planned because we must be on that flt out of NBO on the 13th and I didn't want to risk not making it. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks again!

Feb 8th, 2007, 10:04 AM

That's a great trip, but why switch hotels at PNV from Gorilla's Nest -- I found it comfortable and well located.

How many days will you spend in Dubai (I was there in November)?

Michael
Feb 8th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks thitcho and I just wasn't sure about spending 3nts at GN-it just sounds like too much time there from what I've read about it but we still may end up there for the 3nts. We are spending 3nts in Dubai enroute and one night there on the return. It sounds like a funny place! Any suggestions for Dubai too?
Feb 8th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

We may instead do 3nts Bateleur, 2nts Mara Explorer-I love trying different camps.
Feb 11th, 2007, 04:15 PM

I understand departing after your last Gorilla trek and going to Virunga Lodge, about an hour away from PNV and closer to Kigali. You could enjoy that lovely location the next morning, hiking on some of the trails overlooking the lakes. You'd still have time for the city tour the next day. I like this plan and it adds variety.

I would not switch to another PNV hotel after your last trek. If you preferred Gov's over Gorilla's Nest, then just stay there instead of Gorilla's Nest. I think Gov is supposed to be much nicer with a cost to match. Like Thit Cho, I liked Gorilla's Nest and their resident flock of crowned crane were outstanding.
To me this plan is nothing but a hassle.

If you like seeing different camps, then a 3/2 split in the Mara makes perfect sense and you've picked good camps. If you want to minimize packing and unpacking, then 5 nights in one place is relaxing.
Feb 11th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Lynn-your suggestions have been extremely helpful! Will be finalizing the trip this week and feel so prepared to go-too bad we have to wait 9mos.