Garden Route: Place to stay

Nov 27th, 2007, 05:33 PM
jit
Original Poster

Garden Route: Place to stay

Hi all, my wife and will be spending 4 days travelling from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town. My questions is...we would like to make 2 pit stops and we were wondering where would be a nice location to stop over before we head into Cape Town?

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Jit
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:39 PM

We did this back in 2003, and i remember Knysna being one of the stops. We liked it a lot.... remember the oyster restaurant on the beach very well. Can't remember the name of it, though....
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:19 PM

We stayed in Knysna as well - at a hotel right along the harbor. It was quite nice and picturesque.
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:34 PM

Hello Jit

Plettenberg Bay or Knysna are definatly the places to stay, they are quiet near one another, but if you want a beach property there is a gorgeous little place called Periwinkle Lodge in Plettenberg, but I recently visited a place called Elephant Hide in Knysna and the hospitality was out of this world and it did not cost the earth either, there are more expensive places like Tsala if you have the budget. If you want to treat yourself do a helicopter trip at Botelierskop game reserve it s gorgeous!
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:03 AM
jit
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help, I forgot to ask, is there any place from your experiences that we should not stay in?

jit
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Hi, jit,

the place we stayed at near Plett is one you definitely SHOULD stay - Hog Hollow lodge.

it was very convenient for that end of the garden route, and everything- accommodation, food, service - were just great.

regards, ann

Nov 28th, 2007, 09:33 AM

If you can manage with relatively simple (SAN parks style) accommodation, you might want to have a look at Tsitsikamma National park. They have chalets right by the sea. For location appeal, its unbeatable. However, there isnt much to do there after dark, unlike Knysna which have great dining.
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:59 AM

We stayed in Knysna for two nights and used it as a base to roam the area. It worked out wonderfully well! While we stayed at a good value guest house (Old Cape Road), it was a bit noisy (from the highway). Take a look at either http://portfoliocollection.com/ or http://www.safarinow.com/ to find nice accomodations - but try to book direct if you can!
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Big - as in huge - recommendation for the La Vista B&B in Plett. Really nice place. http://www.portfoliocollection.com/go/LaVistaLodge/