Search

Durban - where to stay for one night

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Durban - where to stay for one night

Hello

I changed my plans "just" a little bit, exchanging the small part on the Garden Route for one night in Durban and two nights at a game reserve close to Hluhluwe and Phinda.

I was wondering which are the better zones to stay in Durban in May. We are thinking about strolling around the promenade, maybe swimming at the beach, going to some markets and go to restaurants to go on trying the South African food.
I have seen many hotels at Umhlanga and others close to the waterfront or some squares behind the waterfront. What should be my keyword when looking at hotels? or guesthouses.
We look comfort but not luxury this time, and a charming place with nice service.

Any recommendation would be great

Thanks,
B
Old Oct 28th, 2016, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We stayed at a guesthouse called the Neuk which is in Morningside. It was delightful and within walking distance of the many restaurants in Florida Road. You can't swim everywhere in the waters around Durban due to the sharks and rough waves but there are tidal pools in places like Thompson Bay.

The better zones of Durban are all in the north of the city. Umhlanga is also a good place to stay and have stayed in a guesthouse there too, but much preferred the buzz of being in Durban. At the Neuk it is close enough to Durban beach and all that goes on in that area.