From Capetown to Garden Route and back

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to take four days (three nights) to travel from Capetown to Tsitsikamma National Park and return to Captetown. We planned on stopping in Hermanus and are thinking of spending the night in Aniston on the way out. Then stay in a B&B near George for the second night. Should we stay 2 nights near George and explore the area from there. Or should we spend one night in George and then stay at Plettenberg for the third night? By spending the third night in Plettenberg we would have to drive back to Capetown in one day. Also on the return trip we wanted to stop the "ostrich capital" (Oude...?)

I guess the main question becomes: Is this doable or are we being too ambitious? How would you recommend spending 4 days (3 nights) along this route? ANy can't miss sights taking into account the amount of time?

Thanks to all for your insights. We are traveling mid-November.

Petra

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 12:16 AM

HI Petra, Me and my falmily travelling begining NOv to CT and on the garden route.. SPending 8-9 days in all and got the feeling that too was a bit short. From all the reading i have been doing u would need that much time in Cape Town itself
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:33 AM

If you stay the first night at Arniston, then I would Suggest the second night at the Storms River Mouth, third night in Oudtshoorn. That way you would still have time to enjoy the route without too much driving. Another Idea would be to skip Oudtshoorn and spend 2 night at the Storms river mouth. I personally think that the cabins at the National park there are one of the most stunning spots in SA
George to Plett is only about an hour and Plett to Storms River Mouth is about 45 minutes
You can see some pics here
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...4_412619473111
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Shmulb: Thanks for sharing your pictures, They were wonderful. I like your cabin at the STorms river idea! How do you make reservations?

I already have reservations for a B&B near George. Also, would it be practical to go directly to George from Capetown?

I so look forward to this trip!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:11 AM

May I suggest that you stay in the Wilderness on the first night, Tsitsikama on the second and Oudtshoorn on the third. That way you will be travelling roughly the same distances every day.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, Petrak,

my invaluable "sunbird touring map of the western Cape" gives the distance from CPT to George as 432km. The road is good albeit mainly one carriageaway, and a bit boring. we did a similar distance in one day from Stanford to Plett.

George looked pretty boring - Storms River Mouth is MUCH nicer. I would put up with a long drive on one day to be able to spend longer there. But have you thought of driving one way and flying back from George or PE?

How long have you got in CPT - you could easily spend a whole week there and wish you'd had longer.

regards, ann
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 04:44 AM

All South African National Parks are booked through the Parks board. Here is the Storms River Mouth site
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/tsitsi...&year=2007
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Petrak,

In your question you ask whether the trip you are thinking of is doable. Nobody has answered this part of your question. If you ask me, what you want to do physically <b>is</b> doable. The question to really be asking is whether it is practical, qualitative and finally worth it. In answer to all of these 3 factors my response to you would be a <b> big NO.</b> Of course you can do the journey in 4 days and 3 nights but all that you will be doing for most of the time is you will be driving to your next destination

The one factor that does not need to be verified is that the shortest distance from Cape Town to Tsitsikamma is close on to 600 Km. That means that no matter what anybody advises you 2 of your days automatically will be taken up just by you driving to Tsitsikamma and then returning to Cape Town. <b> This is a given fact! </b> In effect you will then have two days in which to enjoy individual type events along the way such as enjoying Hermanus, exploring the Wilderness region, exploring Knysna, visiting Oudtshoorn, visiting the Tsitsikamma and possibly doing the treetop safari, enjoying Natures Valley, enjoying Plettenberg Bay as well as so many other choices of things to do. I want to repeat in question format that that the above all is to be done in <b> 2 days ???</b>. If you ask me this is very far from qualitative travelling and it is my opinion that you will be so rushed that you will probably see or remember very little of what you have done along the way .

I have had many people ask me in professional capacity the question that you have posed and I have told them the above. They have then changed there plans. Many have had the luxury of adding an extra day to their journey and after doing this they could not stop thanking me for suggesting this plan of action when in retrospect they have found out the value of what I had suggested to them.

With the above said my opinion is that if you can find the extra day then the journey is not only doable but also well worth the ride. Its amazing what the extra day can do for your journey. If on the other hand you cannot find the extra day then I would say that unless you are a lover of driving long distances <b> do not do the ride </b> and rather spend your time more qualitatively in the Cape Town, Winelands, Hermanus and Overberg regions.

Please understand I am not being harsh, all I am doing is I am being practical when I suggest the above. No matter what you try and do, there are no shortcuts to driving what could well become close onto 2000 km in 4 days. Think of this carefully as this means 500 Kms per day and in effect 6 hours a day of driving. Granted you will enjoy visuals along the way but will these be qualitative viewings especially with a tired driver and navigator? Methinks <b>NOT</b> and contrary to all that has been told you in this thread my advice to you would be that unless you can find the extra travel day rather change your plans.

Just my twopence worth.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa