Franschoek - Outdshoorn

Jun 29th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Franschoek - Outdshoorn

Hi all,
During my January next honeymoon myself and wife-to-be are planning to visit Franshoek for two days and then proceed east towards Outdshoorn (for two nights) followed by Storm's River Mouth and Knysna.

I had thought that we would stop in Montagu for a night before carrying on, but am now wondering if it would be too long a days drive to push on to Oudtshoorn in one day from Franshoek, thus buying us an extra day elsewhere. (we're planning on two nights in Oudtshoorn - 1 to arrive in the afternoon and one whole day to see The Pass and eat in Jemima's!)

so my question is, would we miss a lot by spending the day making our way to Outdshoorn without stopping for the night.

Thanks,

Muz
Jun 29th, 2005, 07:30 AM

We stopped in Swellendam for a night en-route to Outdshoorn, not for any particular sights but to break up the long drive. It worked out well for us.

We really enjoyed our meal in Jemima's very much indeed, as well as our visit to the Cango Caves, Wildlife Ranch (where we petted cheetahs) and drives through some of the mountainous passes.

Jun 29th, 2005, 08:47 AM

I did the drive from Paarl to Outdshoorn in 94 in around six hours, this included a picnic lunch at the foot of the Pass. We drove the pass in about an hour, but did not explore at the top, something which would be quite interesting I think. So its doable but is along day and doesn't leave much room for sightseeing. Also Franschoek to Paarl adds some to the drive.
Jun 29th, 2005, 01:04 PM

We drove from Oudtshoorn to Franschhoek in one day with no problem, also stopping along the way for a port tasting, lunch, etc.
Jun 29th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Sorry, how bizaare - I kind of lost my train of thought half way through writing my post and realise that I didn't actually SAY what I posted to say...

The first sentence SHOULD have read:

We stopped in Swellendam for a night en-route to Outdshoorn, not for any particular sights but to break up the long drive. It worked out well for us as we enjoyed the guest house, giggled at the barmy couple running the fairy sanctuary and took our time driving. But it didn't strike us as too far to do in a day.
Jun 30th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your responses...Roll on January!!

Muz
Jun 30th, 2005, 03:06 PM

muzaway,

If I were you I would do the Franschhoek to Oudtshoorn drive in one day. I would suggest that you do the Route 62 road as it is more colurful and scenic relative to the N2.

Heres some bad news. I have been told by a reliable source that Jemimas was sold a couple of weks ago. I have no idea how good or bad the restuarant will be now that the Le Roux family will probably leave however no matter what without the Le Roux sisters at the helm I unfortunately dont believe that Jemimas will ever be the same again. Heres hoping that I am wrong.

Hope the above helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Jul 4th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Darn it.
Six months out and we were already looking forward to eating in Jemima's!

Oh well, I'll look into other restaurants in the area, and keep an eye on how Jemima's is doing over the coming months. Thanks for passing on that information Selwyn.

By the way, we are going to drive along R62 to Oudtshoorn...it sounds like a great drive.
Jul 8th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Muz,
We also wanted to have dinner at Jemimas but unfortunately it was closed (Monday!). We ended up at "Paljas" instead and didn't regret our choice.
http://www.dining-out.co.za/member_d...?MemberID=2380
Jul 11th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi Miriam,
Thanks for the tip...looks like a good place with an interesting menu!

Muz
Jul 16th, 2005, 03:50 AM

Wholeheartedly agree with Selwyn - Route 62 is great, much more interesting drive. Take a look at www.route62.co.za for some ideas - if you do decide to stop in Montagu which is a really charming little village then mimosa lodge is a good option with a superb dinner - www.mimosa.co.za

Search this Thread