Marrakech

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marrakech

Dear 'Dysfunctional',
We had a fantastic time. Loved every minute and did not stop. I have to say your help and information beforehand has been invaluable. We are definately going again later this year, as there is so much more we'd like to see.
So thank you again.
Anke
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Anke
I too have been reading Dysfunctional's tips on Marrakech.
Would you be willing to share a brief trip report with feedback on your accommodation, what you did and any tips you might have to pass on about general things or about things to buy, places to eat and shop etc?
THANKS!
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 04:37 PM

*blush*

Good to hear you enjoyed Morocco!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kavey,
Be delighted to, we took the Marrakech Express overnight train from Tanger to Marrakech, which was great. We slept all night and arrived at 9.00am in the morning. (My husband hates flying)
I was lucky to have found our guide Omar, who took us for the day to the Ourika Valley, which was a fantastic experience. We entered a local village house and had mint tea. Alone the fact that we gained an insight as to how the people lived was fasinating. The valley itself was totally different to what one would expect. So green with the river and it's water falls.
The following two days were spent in Marrakech. Again Omar proved to be invaluable. We would never have found the alleys, hidden streets, restaurants, Aladin's cavins (as our kids called it) without him. He was a delighted to spend time with.
The only regret we had, was the fact that we had booked a 'package' where we stayed in a 4* Hotel outside of the Medina (wall around the old part of Marrakech). The next time (and we can't wait to go again) we will definately stay in a Riad in within the Medina.
It was just a fantastic experience. What I was delighted with, was the fact that at all times we felt totally save. (we travelled with four teenagers, two of which are very blonde girls, which meant that I was somewhat concerned before we left. Unfounded though!)
When are you planning to go?
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 04:01 AM

Originally I was thinking of a trip over Christmas but I'm not sure this is going to be feasible.

Then I considered January/ February which is still a possibility.

I am visiting India in early April and my husband and I have a trip to Islay, Scotland booked at the end of May. I like to spread trips out as much as possible so there's always something to look forward to and I haven't yet worked out the big trips for 2006 so I'm not yet sure about where to slot this one in.

I've been to Morocco before, when I was 19 but my husband hasn't.

This time I want to spend more time in Marrakech so we'll make it our base and do one or two excursions from there also.

I'm already determined to stay in a riad within the medina and have a HUGE "shortlist"!

Thanks for your feedback!

Kavey
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Anke,

I am visiting Morocco next month.

Can you give us some info on the guide you used - he sounds great.

ALso, how much is the Marakesh Express. Where can we buy ticket? We also try to avoid flying as much as we can and the train sounds great.

It is our first time in Morocco (and Africa), so liek you, we have nervousness about going there too. However, like you, we are always apprehensive when we plan the trip, but when we get to a location, we feel so safe

Any other info on hotel will be great!
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Dear 'Kittycatangel',
We used Omar Chouriyakh (his number is 0212 61 24 22 90- e-mail: [email protected])
If I had to describe the 'ideal guide' before we went, I would have said , polite, knowledgeable, friendly, not pushy, enthusiastic, flexible, discreet,respectful amoungst other things. He was all of that and more. We felt totally safe in his hands.
I am sure he would love to be contacted.

In terms of the train, the cabin (with two bunkbeds each) were clean and comfortable. Our kids slept all the way to Marrakech. The toilet were another thing and I would recommend that you visit the toilets at the railway staion before you leave. the advantage is that the train leave late evening and you arrive eary morning, ready to get off have a shower and breakfast.

We stayed in a 4 star hotel (Atlas) just outside the Medina. The advantage here was the fact that the children had a great pool to cool off in the end of the day. Personally we would stay in a Riad inside the Medina next time. They are just beautiful, a different experience.

I am sure you'll have a great time.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 08:27 AM

Hi Anke, can you confirm the price of 90 dirham for a couchette?