Revised itinerary for Morocco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on Fodorites' input, we're working to revamp our itinerary a bit since our first draft was a bit ambitious.

We're now thinking something like this. Sadly, since we only have 6 nights, we cut out the desert since it involves so much travel time getting to/from. Mistake? For some reason the husband wants to see the ocean. Mistake #2?

1. Arrive Casa. Train to Fes.
2. Fes.
3. Fes and travel to Marrakech - train? flight? Not sure which is better.
4. Marrakech.
5. Day trip to Essaouira
6. Marrakech.
7. Flight back to US via Casa.

This translates to 2 nights in Fes and 4 in Marrakech - should we split it 3 and 3? Or spend one night in Essaouira? Based on my research it seems that most people prefer Fes over Marrakech.

Thanks for any input on the revisions and questions!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Tough call. Would your husband be happy to see the ocean in Rabat? Rabat is the mid-point of the train journey from Fes to Marrakech (rail is so much better than flying as all flights go via Casablanca, so in the end, it takes about the same amount of time, but its many times more expensive).

The Kasbah Oudaya in Rabat is right on the ocean with a lovely Moorish Cafe on the cliff.

This would spare you the 6 hours round-trip driving time between Marrakech and Essaouira and would break the 8 hour train journey in half.

It is a shame to leave out the desert - it is truly beautiful....like I said, tough call.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jenmaroc,

I'm glad you wrote back again. Thanks so much! I'm wondering what you think of scrapping Marrakech. Is it a better idea to do Rabat, Fes, Mezouga? My next question is going to sound really silly, but is spending the night in the Dunes "buggy"? (I'm terribly afraid of spiders. Sounds silly to some, I know.)
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Whoops, posted too soon. I guess we're wondering if we'll get more or less the same feel for Morocco by visiting 2 well-known cities but a totally different feel by only visiting one city and the desert.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM

One of the beauties of Morocco is its diversity of landscape. Rabat-Fes-Merzouga sounds good to me, but yes, you will have a different experience if you leave out Marrakech. Marrakech is fairly touristy and commercial. Its main attraction is the medina..but Fes has a beautiful old medina too...in fact, a much more authentic one.

Not too buggy in the dunes - Im no fan of spiders myself. I saw a couple scarab beetles in the morning walking over the dunes, but that was it. They like camel dung, so they wont be too tempted to wander towards you.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I really appreciate your advice. We're going to save Marrakech for a future visit