Franschhoek Accomadations-HELP

Feb 6th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Franschhoek Accomadations-HELP

Hello, We are looking for a B&B in Franschhoek for 2 couples in March. Have narrowed the field down to 1)Whale Cottage, 2) Dieu DOnner, 3) Basse Provence(in no specific order!). Wondering if anyone could comment on these places from personal experience. We will only be in the area for 2 nights...Are we better 'in-town' where we can walk to and from restuarants? Any input would be greatly appreciated. If none of these are somehting that you can comment on, could you recommend something 4* around 400-600Rpppn? Thank you.
Feb 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Hello,

I stayed at Basse Provence (in the Jacob room) during my visit to Franschheok. The house is lovely and the setting in a vineyard is very peaceful. However, if you enjoy your food and wine, I would recommend styaing somewhere in town where you can walk to and from the restaurants.

Take a look at the Portfolio Collection, www.portfoliocollection.com -- there is a wide selection of B&Bs and guesthouses in Franschhoek to suit a wide range of budgets. When I next visit Franschhoek, I'll probably stay in the Akademie gueshouse or at Klein Oliphantshoek.

Cheers,
Julian
Feb 6th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your reply. Interestingly, I have checked into the two you recommend, and am waiting to hear back from Klien-the other is full for the time that we are there.
Thanks again,
Feb 12th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Another very nice place is the Auberge Bligny, within a 3 minute of downtown Franschhoek. We stayed there in January and thoroghly enjoyed it.
www.bligny.co.za
Cheers,
Bill
Feb 12th, 2006, 05:49 AM

I'm not sure what star rating it had but the accommodation, location, friendliness and service at The Plumwood Inn were lovely.

It's not "superlux" (which isn't our style to be honest) but is beautifully furnished and wonderfully warm and inviting.

http://www.plumwoodinn.com/index2.html
Feb 13th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses...Plumwood was our first choice, however booked for the days we needed it. We booked the Whale Cottage, hopefully it will work out well. I will let you all know.
Feb 13th, 2006, 08:35 AM

I'm sure it will be fine... we were delighted with the high standard of the accommodation we stayed in throughout South Africa and at such great prices too...

Search this Thread