First Time travellers to EGYPT

May 15th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Tina

First Time travellers to EGYPT

Me and my partner will be going to Cairo/Luxor/Sharm in September and i just would like to know what its like !! I dont really know anyone whos been there so wondered:

1. If anyone has been in Sept, what kind of clothes to bring, depending on the weather,
2. Are the people friendly? I have heard of women being spat at in the street, and men harrassing women.
3. In the guidebook it has stated that women are to cover up their arms and legs - is this wherever you go?
3. What are Cairo/Luxor and Sharm like, hoping that sharm is a nice beach resort.

any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

May 15th, 2002, 07:26 AM
gail

Regarding clothing, modest is best - do a search as several interesting threads here in recent months. When we were there I never saw or heard of any women being spat upon. Harrassment was limited to a few comments, but who knows what they said in Arabic. Comments were directed most often at several teenage girls in our group who wore typical US teenager wear of shorts and tank tops, both tight. My daughter got some comments on her very blond and curly hair, but they were all kind and appropriate. (She is 11).

People are very friendly, especially the ones who want to sell you something, scam you, take you to their uncle's perfume shop, or do something for a tip. Take it all in stride - it is part of the experience and culture of living off affluent Western tourists. A firm "No" and no eye contact was sufficient, but having to repeat it with each new vendor got a little old by the end of the trip.

May 15th, 2002, 08:36 AM
cb

Sharm is a nice beach resort and no problem with swim suits at the hotels and beaches, although Muslim women were still fully clothed. I remember signs on the beach saying topless attire is illegal in Egypt, but there were many caucasian women sunbathing topless. I personally wouldn't do it;that would be stretching it a bit even though the Egyptian men appeared to ignore them.

May 15th, 2002, 01:37 PM

I had a wonderful time in Luxor and Aswan. We had a guide for our family of three coming from America, b/c tourism from US is down. See my comments on Fromemrs. Short sleeves/tees are good. For Valley of kings and Queens 3/4 or long sleeves really help. I found guide invaluable to have.

May 20th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Dina

I have posted this before, but since you really want to know what it's like for a first-timer to Egypt, lots of photos and comments are on my travelogue,
www.costumegoddess.com/travelog.htm
It's too much to repeat here!
Choose among the six Egypt pages.
We loved the experience, primarily because we had a local guide.

May 21st, 2002, 05:36 AM
Tina

Thanks for tips

tina

Jun 5th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Sarabeth

We were in Egypt 2 years ago..it was a fantastic trip. We started off with a week in Sharm for diving. The diving was superb. We stayed at the Ritz since they had an incredible special celebrating their opening. Sharm is a town that is mainly covered with hotels, resorts, restaurants, clubs and dive shops....
I, as a woman, never felt unsafe AT ALL while in Egypt. People are friendly, especially when they are trying to sell you something. Our BEST time was when we went walking in a local neighborhood. There were open air markets and many cafes. On 2 occasions we were invited to have tea with locals who spoke from zero English to fluent. It was terrific. Have a great time. Oh, I did dress in longer dresses and had a light sweater to cover my arms..I did not cover my head and was never ridiculed.

Jun 13th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Heather

I just returned from Egypt on June the 6th. I must say that I took modest clothing at the advice of many boards and only needed it once, the days we visited different Mosques and religous areas. I had only long dresses, pants and long sleeved shirts. My EGYPTIAN guide and hosts encouraged me to go shopping for other clothes or to borrow it from others in our group!! I went and bought shorts and tee shirts and never was harrassed or felt unsafe. Another member of the group I traveled with was a beautiful tall blonde who wore kapris and tank tops the whole time and was NEVER harassed. Over all I think that a very loose fitting long sleeve shirt works for places like the Valley of the Kings and Queens, but do not hesitate to wear things that YOU are comfortable in. I stressed about what to take before I left and ended up feeling very silling for not taking my usually summer atire!!

Jun 14th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Fayez

Hi
First of all Egypt is very safe and secure, and the ppeole are friendly and helpful,, you can dress what ever you like, but is better to respect the local tradition and cultur, and to avoid stari and hassele, dress more correctly, also behaive normal am sure you will be ok. Long skirt, trousers and shirts and t-shirts are ok, recommended to cover your arms, hope this will help. Wish you all the best.

Search this Thread