American Embassy

Jun 10th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Margie

American Embassy

Just a word of caution to anyone traveling outside of the U.S. who thinks the Embassy will help you -- FORGET IT! Having just seen the American Embassy in action I can tell you that unless it is something that is going to get the media's attention they are of absolutely no help what so ever. My parents and grandfather were on a tour of China when my grandfather became ill and had to leave the tour and was hospitalized. Within 36 hours my grandfather had passed away and I called the embassy from Chicago to try and receive some assistance for my family in China and was met by a typical American response -- "we are aware of the situation but there is not much we can do"

The American government might as well be upfront and tell you they will not help you unless there is media coverage involved or unless you are preaching Christianity to non-Christians and are kidnapped.

Jun 10th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Lisa

Sorry to hear about your very trying experience, Margie. Have you contacted your congressman?

Jun 10th, 2002, 05:01 PM
FORGET IT

HI:

It is true and so sad our government could not care less. You can add your Congressman And Senator too.

I lived in Englang for 13 years. They really help their citizens. Our Government works on campaign contributions. Money talks!

Sorry for your loss. All the best. Ed And Gloria

Jun 12th, 2002, 06:34 PM
yyy

What were you asking the embassy to do?

In actuality there isn't much they can do. They are not a travel agency, nor a loan office. They do not provide legal assistance either. Most of those functions should have been taken care of by the tour operator (you said he left a tour).

Jun 14th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Liam

I once read something that advised Americans overseas to go to the local British embassy (tell them you are a British citizen); they'll do everything to help you, no questions asked. If what I read is true, it's really sad that we can't even trust our own people to help us out.

Margie, I am sorry for your loss.

Search this Thread