Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

First time Cape Town visit: best hotel with family?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a recommendation for a 5 night stay in December. This'll be the first stop on our South Africa trip and, for almost all of us going, the very first time in both SA and Cape Town itself.

4-5 star is ideal and, based on another recent thread here, it seems like most folks recommend staying in the Mt Nelson (vs V&A Waterfront area) due to the Disney-like nature of the latter.

Personally, a place like the Kensington rings all my bells, but there will be a whole range of family joining--from nephews and nieces (10-14 yrs old) and parents (70s)--so need to find a place that would ideally appeal to everyone. I normally hate big hotels/resorts, but thinking that One and Only or Belmond might be nice so the kids can have some form of entertainment if they get tired of sightseeing.

Any places worth exploring?
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 01:50 PM

Our travel agent has us booked into the One and Only in Oct as a good place for jet lag recovery. We’re in our 70s. So going with that.
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 03:35 AM

It's the first I've heard that the V&A Waterfront is Disney-like. It has never appeared Disney-like to me. It's a shopping mall with lots of restaurants, food market, some interesting boutiques, it's not a bad place for a first timer to CPT.
If I was choosing a 5 star hotel, I would like to try the Silo Hotel.

https://www.theroyalportfolio.com/the-silo/overview/
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 08:14 AM

I'd consider what exactly you're going to do in Cape Town before deciding where to stay. There is a giant mountain in the middle of the city, which makes getting around somewhat complicated.

Sorry no insight into whether your younger members would find a rooftop pool that interesting, or a shopping mall.

At that age I'd think the penguins down around Seaforth and Boulder's Beach would be fun for them, which is about an hours drive south of the waterfront. The lodging options are guest houses rather than hotels, however, some of them very nice.

EG

https://www.williamfrench.co.za/
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 12:14 PM

I've stayed at both Mt. Nelson and Kensington Place. Both excellent but very different. For your group, highly recommend the Mt. Nelson/Belmond. I will be returning in September to Capetown. I considered the One and Only but very glad to have settled on returning to the Mt. Nelson. I really would not call it a big resort, more a grand hotel situated on beautiful grounds. Trust me, it is lovely. And one of the few hotels in the city with heated swimming pool.

My sister stayed at the Silo last year and will return there in May. They loved it, but they do not travel with children. It is so easy to get around by taxi that it really matters not so much where you stay, in my opinion. You will have to take a cab to the main "sights" no matter which of those two hotels you choose.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Mar 4th, 2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 11:06 AM

Another possibility is Camps Bay, where you will get a sunset view every night. My daughter and SIL had their wedding reception at 12 Apostles Hotel, which would take some beating if you hire a rental car. There are many upmarket AirBnBs in Camps Bay as an alternative to a hotel. I booked an AirBnB with private swimming pool for my brother and his family, and they absolutely loved it! They stayed there for two weeks and used Uber to get into the city. Camps Bay gets very busy around Christmas, though.
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 01:28 PM

It might be true that you have to take a cab if you restrict your hotel to certain locations (Mt Nelson or the V&A). Another possibility within Central Cape Town is the Cape Heritage Hotel, ideally located on Bree Street, easy walk to Greenmarket Square, Company Gardens, Bo-Kaap and many restaurants, including a few inside their courtyard. Great breakfast, interesting art, each room is different. No pool, though. They have some 2-bedroom apartments listed on the website. Only caveat is noisy on Friday and Saturday nights til about midnight.
https://www.capeheritage.co.za/

While I enjoyed Cape Town, I really didn't like the traffic and circulation is difficult due to the big mountain in the middle with only a few ways to get across or around. One special event or road closure and you are screwed. Glad that I split my stay between Central Cape Town and the south coast. While I also had a few nights adjacent to Kirstenbosch, I thought Newlands was terribly incovenient unless you are just sitting on the hotel grounds, going to Kirstenbosch or perhaps visiting some of the wineries in Constantia.

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 10th, 2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 11:52 AM

Hi there!
I wouldn't describe the waterfront as Disney but I would say that it serves the tourists well with restaurants, shops, the Food Market and Watershed (craft shops). For larger hotels, I am a huge fan of the O&O. Just ticks off all the boxes for most of my clients these days. Silo is more expensive and exquisite but I think better for a couple celebrating a special occasion or for those who really want privacy and luxury and don't want to "be seen" (celebrities etc). Table Bay Hotel and Victoria & Alfred Hotel are both on the waterfront and would be a notch below in luxury from the O&O. For off waterfront options, Belmond Nelson but also Twelve Apostles (short drive too). Radisson Blu on the water is about 15 min walk to the waterfront. For neighborhood options, I'd consider MORE Quarters. Great family options there.
Keep in mind that depending upon when you travel in December, you could be subject to "Festive Period" rates which, in the past, can be twice as much as regular rates. Ouch!
Happy to help!
Dianne