First Safari - Canít Wait to Go Back!

Oct 12th, 2019, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

First Safari - Canít Wait to Go Back!

Hello there

Usually I post on Europe board, but we recently did our first safari in Botswana and South Africa. It was amazing!

We spent 5 nights in Mashatu in Botswana, 3 nights in Mala Mala, 5 nights in Cape Town and 3 final nights in Franschhoek.

We we could not believe how amazing it was - the first day we were already planning our next safari.

i havenít written a lot but I have sorted my pictures so I thought I would post and answer any questions people may have.

LOVED AFRICA!

https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]
Oct 12th, 2019, 09:19 AM

Looks like you caught the bug! Welcome to the club, there’s no cure for the addiction.
Oct 12th, 2019, 12:19 PM

Hi jamikins (and bikerscott). What fabulous photos! I'm starting to plan my own trip (likely just to SA) next Aug or Sept. Mala Mala was one place I was looking at. How far ahead did you have to book there?
Oct 12th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi Janisj - so glad to hear from you!!

Mala Mala was amazing. Honestly - GO!

We booked our trip in Jan 2018 for Sept 2019. It was so worth it!

have you been before?

Coming to London anytime soon?

jamikins
Oct 12th, 2019, 01:44 PM

Jamikins you pics are amazing.
I am looking to do Africa (from Australia).
Did you do this on a tour, or did organize everything yourself.
Oct 12th, 2019, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by jamikins View Post
Hi Janisj - so glad to hear from you!!

Mala Mala was amazing. Honestly - GO!

We booked our trip in Jan 2018 for Sept 2019. It was so worth it!

have you been before?

Coming to London anytime soon?

jamikins

I just checked Mala Mala again and the single room is already booked up for most of my preferred dates and I can't pull the trigger til early December But that was only one of about 6 places on my short list.

Was in London for a week in July (absolutely fabulous trip including the Dior at the V&A and a jaunt up to Oxfordshire to meet up with flanner/Mrs flanner) and will be back 29 Nov through 5 Dec. Are you guys in town then? Posted this last week London GTG late Nov/early Dec?
Oct 12th, 2019, 05:18 PM

Trip Report First Safari-Can

Eager to hear a LOT more. Like who did you book with. How many game preserves did you visit & where. We have been to Kenya & Tanzania 6 yrs ago to see the Great Migration, but now want to go approximately Sept 20 and hoping to go to Cape Town, see Table Mtn, wineries, & penguins. Safari is important. (your photos are amazing!) but any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance,
Jean i.e. pumpkin
Oct 12th, 2019, 05:19 PM

Trip Report First Safari-Can't

Eager to hear a LOT more. Like who did you book with. How many game preserves did you visit & where. We have been to Kenya & Tanzania 6 yrs ago to see the Great Migration, but now want to go approximately Sept 20 and hoping to go to Cape Town, see Table Mtn, wineries, & penguins. Safari is important. (your photos are amazing!) but any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance,
Jean i.e. pumpkin
Oct 12th, 2019, 06:23 PM

You picked some stellar places for your first trip! Mashatu was one of the first places I visted in 2003. And I went to MalaMala several times, too. The last time I went to both was in 2008. A long time ago!

You have such great photos - thanks for posting! And I totally get planning your next trip before your first one even ends.

janisj, I took advantage of the MM "single room" as well.
Oct 13th, 2019, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

We were a bit nervous about Africa (totally unfounded) but we wanted a lot of hand holding for our first trip. We used Original Travel to organise and book everything and they were amazing...and pricey �� but well worth it because everything went flawlessly! Best holiday ever!

Cape Town was beautiful but there was no way we were spending 2-3 hours to go up the mountain then 1-2 hours to come back down!

The wine region was spectacular, and wine exceptional and cheap! They don’t export the good stuff!

Happy to answer any questions!
Oct 20th, 2019, 02:07 AM

Just home from Zimbabwe (4 camps) and CT. Would highly recommend Hwange, Mana Pools and other camps (we spent 4 nights at Singita Pamushana) One of best trips of my life. Read the trio of Peter Godwin books if you think about going. As usual, my safari person from CapeTown, Liesl Matthews, did a spectacular job of planning.
Oct 20th, 2019, 07:16 PM

Sitting in Dubai enroute home to SF. Over two weeks in Cape Town and Botswana were extraordinary.

Bushman Plains Camp, Kwando Splash and Kwando Lagoon, four nights each. Perfection.
Oct 21st, 2019, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy and shouldbewriting your trips sound amazing. I cannot wait to get back!!