Reload this Page >

Fez -Marrakesh driving/lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 04:17 PM
gay maloney

Staying 6 days (1) should we visit Rabat for 1 day or just go to Fez. (2) Has anyone driven from Fez to Marrakesh? Dangerous? Interesting? How long? (3) What are the best romantic places to stay?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:44 AM
nikkit

I would skip Rabat and go to Fez. Allow a day for the drive Fez-Marrakech. For ideas of romantic places to stay in Marrakech read our detailed reviews of small charming hotels at www.i-escape.com/morocco.php (click on Places to Stay on the Morocco page)

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Gay Maloney

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately when I go to your website some of your information is accessible. However, when I click on Marrakesh I have been kicked out of the internet...tried 7 times different days. What is the best hotel...La Mamounia or Palais Rhoul? Gay

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:02 AM
Sarabeth

we just got back from our 2 week trip to france and morocco....we stayed 6 nights in Morocco. We flew into Casablanca, had our guide pick us up, drove through Rabat to see a mosque, then to Menkes and onto Fes where we spent 2 more days...If you want his name and email let me know...I would highly recommend him. You really need a guide in Fes for the Medina, no doubt in my mind that we would have gotten lost.<BR>We drove from Fes to Marrakech and then spent 2 days there...it pretty much took all day. The roads are good and there are some small towns along the way. The roads do curve into the Atlas Mountains but straighten out eventually. Marrakech is wonderful as well.<BR>We really enjoyed our time in Morocco, even though I got sick (thank goodness for Lomitil!!). Please feel free to write with any questions.<BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:39 AM
Sarabeth

By the way, we had a wonderful guide in Fes. His name is Hamid and his email address is the following:<BR>[email protected] <BR>I would not hesitate to recommend him as a guide for Fes. He picked us up from the airport in Casa and took us to Rabat and Mekens for short visits on the way to Fes. A guide is very necessary for Fes since one would definitely get lost in the Medina. We had a wonderful time in Morocco.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Phil

Driving from Fes to Marrakech. It took us 7 hours with only a few brief stops. It's 300 miles, but the road is only 1 lane each way and for much of the trip it's curvy and windy, so you can't make great time. I wouldn't call it dangerous, there are gas stations frequently along the way. But I wouldn't call it super interesting either. The landscape is very similar to SOuthern California (not surprising, since they're at the same latitude). You'll pass through a number of small and medium size towns. I'd say go for it. Don't take any detours off the main road for sightseeing...the roads deteriorate significantly off the main road. <BR>Regarding places to stay...Palais Jamai in Fes, and La Maison Arabe in Marrakech.