camel trek in Morocco

Mar 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

camel trek in Morocco

I am in the beginning stages of planning our Morocco trip for this July/August. We will have 16 days in total (not included travel days). We wanted to go on a camel trek for 2-3 days, but are a little confused over the options. Is there a big difference between Erg Chebbi and Erg Chigaga?

From everything I've seen so far on the internet, all of the trips leave from Marrakech, although Erg Chebbi looks closer to Fes. Is it best to depart from Marrakech, or is Fes a possibility? Looking at the map, it looks like we could travel from Fes to Erg Chebbi, and then finish in Marrakesh. Are there any tour companies that would do this?

We wanted to have a guide for the first part of the trip, but then travel independently once we hit Marrakech (to have some independence, and to cut down on the cost!)
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:14 AM
jgg

Erg Chebbi is closer to Fez. About 7 hour drive from Fez to Merzouga and about an 11 hour drive from Merzouga to Marakkech. It seems that most of the camel treks leave from Marakkech just because more people tend to go there but many end up in Fez so I'm sure you could find one that starts there.

We started in Marakkech (did that on our own) and then used a guide from Marakkech to desert and to Fez. We used Blue Men of Morocco (www.bluemenofmorocco.com) and were extremely pleased with them. They are not the least expensive way to go however. However, there are many other groups recommended on here as well as tripadvisor.
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you jgg. Did you find that Marrakech was doable on your own? We are extensive travelers, and have never had a guide before, but we are also 2 females. I don't mind being hassled, I just don't want it to be the focus of our trip.

We fly into Casablanca, so I thought we could do the northern cities first. Rabat, Meknes, Fes, etc. Then a 2-3 day trip into the desert, and then do Marrakech and Essaouira on our own before we fly out of Marrakech. Unfortunately, it seems as if there is no easy way to get from Fes to Marrakech. Either we have to do the camel trip in between, or go all the way back to Casablanca to catch the train down to Marrekech. Then it seems like we would be backtracking if we went to Erg Chebbi.

Thanks for the Blue Men reference. I've looked into them, as well as a few others.
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
jgg

Well, we did use a guide for a day and a half in Marakkech. We had our riad get us one, so I can't say we did it on our own!! Personally, I liked having a guide as he was very sweet, very knowledgeable and willing to take us wherever we wanted to go. This allowed us to just be able to take in all the sites and sounds without worrying where we were headed or about getting lost. I do also think it kept us from being hassled by "wannabe guides".

Here is a link to my trip report you may find helpful. We started out with 5 nights in Barcelona, so you may want to skip over that part.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34974589

Here is another trip report I suggest you read. Two women travelling together to Morocco and they spent much of their trip on their own (aside from the camel trek). A great read - the author is hilarious.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34944264
Mar 4th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Very easy to get a guide for the day or half-day thru your hotel or just outside the hotel. You can tell if you will like him as soon as you begin talking. We have been to Morocco three times and never had any but a "pick-up" guide. Your guide will keep you from being hassled, but will probably want you to shop in his "cousin"s shop". Just say NO, I am not a shopped, just a looker. Marrakech is easy, but the medina is an easy place to get lost without a guide. We were so emphatic about a garden I saw in a guidebook that he took us there even tho it was not open to tourists. A long talk with police followed, but we showed the guidebook and got excused. It is good to believe the guide may know more than you.
Mar 27th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Hi Travelersusan

oçf cours stand your reply to our expereince cause you can have any possiblety for your plan trip you wanna to have as we did asked befor we travel about the deferents between Erg chgaga and Erg Chebbi was fantastic as well more beautiful high Sand dunes we ride camels for an hour and half , we have been with berberespace.com company with driver we started from Marrakech 5 days tours via Fez , can have choose as well from fez to Marrakech it was lovely realy views , yeah we contact them we had booked it in advance was great and no warried about anythings was organised as we looked for .good travel have good time.

VERONIQUE