Feedback needed on itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone can give me feedback on this itinerary, I would greatly appriecate it. There are just so many choices out there, it is so easy to get confused! This is a personalized itinerary created just for me by a lovely travel agent from the states:

Day 1 (August 24)
Arrive in Nairobi, met and transfered to the Fairview Hotel.

Days 2-5
Day 2 -Picked up by camping safari, beginning safari by drving to Samburu NP, where I will camp overnight.
Day 3 - Game drives in Samburu
Day 4 - Drive to lake Baringo and camp overnight.
Day 5 - Continue camping adventure, at Lake Nakuru.

Day 6
The camping safari staff brings me back to Nairobi, met by private driver, and transfered to the Fairview Hotel. There may some time to visit some local shops.

Days 7-9
Day 7 - Fly to Amboseli National Park, in time for lunch at Amboseli Serena Lodge. The afternoon is spent with optional camp activities before a private afternoon game drive.
Day 8 - Two game drives.
Day 9 - Two game drives.

Days 10-12
Day 10 - After breakfast, transfer to the airstrip to fly to the Masai mara. Will be met and transfered to Mara Base Camp.
Day 11 - At least two game drives.
Day 12- Game drives today and optional camp activities.

Day 13
Fly back to Nairobi, met and transfered to the Giraffe manor in time for lunch.

Now the price for this is $4863, which turns into $5491 Canadian (stupid price change!!) The price includes:
-all accommodations
-all transportation in a 4-wheel drive vehicle.
-internal airfares in Kenya
-use of private vehicle with english speaking guides
-all game park entrance fees
-full board while on safari
-game drives
-airport transfers
-all meals including wine while at the giraffe manor

This ininerary is more then I was planning on spending when I first starting looking. I originally was looking at Kenya/Tanzania safaris from Gap/Geckos/Acacia Africa. These tours are cheaper, but spend a lot more time driving to get from place to place.

If anyone has any comments on this ininerary, I would love to hear them. I am just so overwelmed by all the options.
(and sorry if I have any spelling mistakes.... it's late, and I'm tired).
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Kittykatgirl, that itinerary of yours does a lot of what is called back tracking. I don't know why your travel agency would do that because when they back track it costs more and that cost is transfered to you.
Another thing is the places it's taking you like lake baringo is 300km away from nairobi that is 6hrs in a vehicle. There are other options like lake nakuru which is closer. ok you may want to see lake baringo because it's a fresh water lake while lake nakuru is a salt water lake but hey lake nakuru is just as good.
There is this travel agency http://www.africapoint.com They are based in Nairobi you might want to check with them and compare. Another thing. If you are looking to cut the cost of your safari you don't want to spend at giraffe manor it's about $500 per night.
Finally make your decission fast cost August is a peak season.
Enjoy your safari i hope i've been of help.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:12 AM

To be frank this is a terrible itinerary and I suspect also too expensive for what you are getting. Would suggest spend at least 1-2 more nights at Samburu. Add a night at Baringo or Nakuru. Add a night in the Mara and drop Amboseli (only reason to go there would be to possible get a view of Kilimanjaro).

Suggest you develop a better itinerary here and then shop around to various tour operators. I would recommend at least submit to African Serendipity, Southern Cross and Eastern and Southern.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Is the first part of your itinerary (Days 2-5) a group camping safari in which case you can't make any changes? Are you doing this to save on cost? If so, it's fine. You'll have two longish drives, Nairobi to Samburu is about 5.5 hours and Samburu to Baringo is around 5 hours, I think (just a guess as I haven't driven this route). After that, Baringo to Nakuru is only 2 hours and Nakuru back to Nairobi is around 2.5 hours.

Since you're traveling in late Aug/early Sep, I'd cut 1 night from Amboseli and add it to the Mara if there is availability. Do you have a private vehicle everywhere except on the first camping portion?

Hard to comment on the price without knowing more details. It sounds like you're traveling solo and have a private vehicle in Amboseli and maybe in the Mara. Those factors add to your cost which you can reduce by opting for shared game drives. Also we don't know what level of camping you're doing, budget, mid-level?

Overall, I don't think it's a bad itinerary if you're traveling solo and trying to combine a group safari with some time on your own.

Lots of ads popping up for Africapoint lately.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input so far. I'm still so overwhelmed.... I couldn't sleep last night!
In answer to your questions Patty... yes, the first couple of days are with a group camping safari. When I first started looking at safaris, I was looking at low budget camping. After talking with the travel agent, Ena, we discussed some camping, and some mid-level. I wanted to see the Masai Mara for sure, and then we discussed Amboseli, and Samburu.
I have emailed her back since receiving her itinerary, asking if there are ways to cut price. After reading your replies, I'm sure there are. I've also emailed African Serendipity, and hopefully I'll hear back from them soon. I'll keep you posted on how things go, and please, keep your opinions coming!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 04:56 PM

You'd have to inquire for the price, but here's a Gametracker's itinerary.

http://www.gametrackersafaris.com/wildlife-explorer.php

Please update your trip progress on this thread and get some sleep.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Sorry did not mean to make you lose sleep. Sandy at Afr. Serendipity is a real expert and should be able to assist you.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

You didn't make me lose sleep! I'm just so frustrated.. I've been researching for so long, and I still don't know anything! I just want to have everything booked, so I can start to get excited.
I heard back from Sandy today, and will post her suggested ininerary. There are no prices yet, but I would still like to hear what everyone thinks.

Day 1 - Arrive Nairobi (NBO) Kenya; met and transfer for - o/n Intercontinental Hotel (BB)
Day 2 - Morning visit Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage; lunch at The Carnivore (or other); drive to Mt.Kenya - o/n at Serena Mountain Lodge (a salt-lick hotel, where game come to drink from dusk-to-dawn, which you can view from your lodge balcony) (LD)
Day 3 - Drive to Samburu; lunch; afternoon game drive - o/n Serena, Sopa or Samburu Game Lodges (FB)
Day 4 - Samburu; morning and afternoon game drives; visit to Samburu Manyatta/village (fee: $20-$25/person) can be arranged - o/n Serena, Sopa or Samburu Game Lodges (FB)
Day 5 - Drive to Mt. Kenya to Sweetwater's on private land where night game drives can be done; Jane Goodall Chimp Sanctuary here - o/n Sweetwater's (FB)
Day 6 - Drive to Lake Nakuru; afternoon game drive - o/n Lion Hill Lodge or Flamingo Hill Camp (FB)
Day 7 - Lake Nakuru; morning game drive; drive to Lake Naivasha; cruise to Crescent Island - o/n Sopa Lodge (FB)
Day 8 - Drive to Masai Mara; lunch; afternoon game drive - o/n Serena, Keekorok or Simba Lodges, Sarova, Basecamp or Figtree Camps (FB)
Days 9, 10 & 11 - Masai Mara; morning and afternoon game drives daily; visit to Masai Manyatta (fee $20-$25/person) can be arranged - o/n Serena, Keekorok or Simba Lodges, Sarova, Basecamp or Figtree Camps (FB)
Day 12 - Drive (about 6/hrs) or FLY to Nairobi; option: half-day touring to visit Karen Blixen Museum, Giraffe Center, shopping; day-room at Intercontinental Hotel; evening transfer to airport for homebound flight (B)

Exclusive use of vehicle while on safari.

I would also like to get people's opinion on what they prefer: doing adventure camping with a group, or being with a private guide and staying at lodges and tented camps.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Now that's more like it! Sandy, as always, has crafted a classic, but I believe great, itinerary for you.

Have done tented camps in Kenya (once) and group adventure camping in the U.S. (many times).

Have loved both. Almost without exception the folks on the camping trips have been delightful, social if you want to be.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Sandi's itinerary would be a wonderful trip.

Group camping saves money usually. A private trip is my preference if I can afford it.

Sweet Dreams.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:44 AM

I prefer private but this kind of depends on your personality. I've done group camping trips in the US and enjoyed them to varying degrees depending on the mix of other guests. It can be wonderful if you hit it off well or you could end up with an Arielle (reference to Jenn's trip report http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34873555 funny read BTW).
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that link. That is the funniest report I have ever read. I can't imagine travelling with someone like that! I would have fed her to the lions!