Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Fares to S. Africa for August 2011 - Buy Now or Wait?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Durban for a conference, and then some further tourism, the first two weeks of August, 2011. Right now, all flights, no matter how or where I look, are about $1,700 per person. We could fly out of Washington, DC, and perhaps in/out of Johannasburg? We could also be flexible in dates.

Can we do better than that? Should we wait to look for cheaper deals, sales, consolidator flights, etc.? Or are fuel prices just going to go up and flights get more expensive?
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 06:53 PM

I'm also going in August and have been watching the fares (from JFK). They have been about $1700 for the last few months. I can't see them going up--but that is really anyone's guess--there are never any guarantees! But SAA have been running sales for each quarter, so I'm hoping something will break for August. On the other hand that's the high season so I don't imagine there will be a two-for-one sale like they had recently--but maybe something...

I've put myself on their email list and also joined their Facebook page so that if there's a sale I'll know right away. And this was posted on their FB page in response to someone asking about Aug/Sept fare sales "Aug/Sep are high season and you're not very likely to see a deal like this for that time of year, but keep your eyes peeled and make sure you're subscribed to our newsletter as those are always the first to know... flysaaspecials.com" so it sounds like SOME special will come along, eventually.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:10 PM

The prices will go up if the price of oil goes up. (Middle East unrest?!) I'm waiting for a special to Europe in June - no guarantees either way. I'm hoping not to pay $1300 to get to LHR to catch my "free" FF flight to JNB!!!

I don't remember any SAA specials last summer (our summer). You can google it to see if there were any.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to connect through JNB.

I've posted specials here in the past. Please post if you find something good.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 01:22 AM

I just purchased a Delta ticket to JBurg for late Aug - $1533, going through Atlanta. A friend of mine is from South Africa and travels back frequently. He said this was a pretty typical airfare - it goes up around Christmas, but he thought that was a fair price for Aug/Sept, so I decided not to bother watching for minor price fluctuations.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 02:00 AM

My company has been issuing tickets for SAA since 1985 although we stoped on Decemeber 31 as I sold the air ticketing side of our business to another company. Now we only sell tickets to people that booked a safari. SAA drops into shoulder season on August 11. This means the price drops quite a bit for a consolidaator fare. I have been waiting to book flight to Jo'burg for three months in late July for a family safari. I finally gave up and bought Delta for $2,049 last week (round trip from Minneapolis).

$1,700 is a good price. If you live in DC you may want to check out Ethiopian from IAD-Addid Ababa-JNB.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 03:00 AM

www.kayak.com/buzz

Best screening site for best dates in August

IAD JNB from $1350 on some dates..

might check over there and book one of those

if you can make your dates work.

www.farecompare.com also good with some good tips

on best times to book.

Happy Hunting,
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 06:51 AM

Thanks Craig its good to know that shoulder starts Aug. 11th. Unfortunately it means we'll be traveling in peak, as we are leaving earlier in August. Also it makes most sense for us to stick with SAA since we fly via Upington and it seems that by flying SAA it adds virtually nothing to the R/T JNB/JFK fare.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:03 AM

Ug I just checked the fare again on SAA and it went up to $1900 So now I really don't know what to do. But of course, this fare game is always half the "fun" (pain!) of travelling.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I tried the SAA sale for $1,100, but you add $650 to that for August - so there you are.

Not sounding hopeful for less than $1,700. We are looking for a safari as well, however. Mostly the advice I hear is "use the internet." Is there any good in calling the consolidators or other agencies?

Here is the cheapest tonight from Washington ($1,223 plus taxes = $1,677):

Ethiopian Airlines
Flight 501 77L
More Information Washington Dulles (IAD)
Addis Ababa (ADD) 11:00am -01Aug, Mon
07:45am -02Aug, Tue Nonstop
Coach

Ethiopian Airlines
Flight 809 757
More Information Addis Ababa (ADD)
Johannesburg (JNB) 08:50am -02Aug, Tue
01:15pm -02Aug, Tue Nonstop
Coach
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 06:40 PM

The non stop flight on Delta is $2100 roundtrip for July!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 06:53 PM

Are you a day or two flexible in your dates? Even if you have to "waste" a day, which can be used to your advantage to perhaps recover from the 30 hours of on-the-road. Can be big $$$ difference in day of week you fly.

FWIW, I check net for possibilities, I like kayak.com presentation of information. Then call the airline direct for comparison. I don't like consolidators or sites like orbitz because once you buy the ticket there are no changes allowed. Not even for a fee, you are stuck with it.

And re Ethiopian Airlines, have been some bad stories about how they drop flights and then abandon you to work it all out. Give me a first world carrier, worth the few extra $$.

regards - tom
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 12:22 PM

fwiw, we just booked JFK to JNB (last two weeks in August) for less than $1,300 per person. I booked through United's web site but it's a SAA flight.

msf
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 01:43 PM

On March 3, I was able to book 4 seats on SAA from Dulles to Capetown on 8/15, returning 8/30 from JoBurg. Price was $1357 each with all taxes. Prices higher before the 15th though later return did not seem to matter. Plan on renting a car and driving coast to George, where interior flights to JoBurg are $75 one way.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 05:33 PM

<i>"SAA drops into shoulder season on August 11. This means the price drops quite a bit for a consolidaator fare."</i>

That is very helpful <b>Safari Craig.</b> Now can you tell us how long that shoulder season extends and when prices go up again?

<b>Jerry,</b> with the Middle East turmoil and gas going up, I'd venture to guess airfares will be going up and not down.