Search

Cruises from Israel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruises from Israel

Are there any major cruise ship companies that sail from Israel? It seems that most of the American cruise ships make a stop in Israel but do not originate there. We will be in Israel
for 7 days in August and want to add on some days in Spain or the Greek Isles and thought that relaxing on a cruise would be ideal as we will be on a "whirlwind" tour for the 7 days.
Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Also should we go to Petra? How would we arrange to do that?
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 11:03 AM
P_M

7 days is really not much time in a country as fascinating as Israel, especially if you want to take a day to go to Petra. Most people do Petra from Eilat. As much as I loved Petra, I do think you are cramming a lot into your Israel trip already, and a day in Petra will cut your Israel time even further.

As for the cruise, I don't know of any ships sailing from Israel but I hope someone else can help of that is possible. If not then why not fly to Athens to pick up a cruise of the Greek Isles?
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Guess we need an Israeli or a tour operator out of Israel to advise what/if any cruises from here to the Greek Isles.

Otherwise, P_Ms suggestion to fly to Athens, to pick-up a ship is a good idea.

Also, as P_M, 7/days is quite a rush in Israel, especially if wishing to visit Petra. There are some tours out of TLV or JER that do a 1/day, but it's from very very early morning to very very late night... crazy, I'd say. You'd need at minimum 2/full-days for travel to/from and enjoying the site and surrounding areas.

That then leaves only 5/days in Israel and Jerusalem alone can eat that up (never enough time in this city).

Maybe if you have 14/days today, you concentrate on Israel and Petra only. The Greek Isles will still be there for another time. Just because you're in the neighborhood doesn't always mean you can get there from here without jumping thru hoops!
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

You both sound soooo right. My children are taking us to Israel for my wife's birthday and hiring a private guide (any suggestions for a great guide ???) Then they are leaving and after reading both of you're posts, I think we would like to stay another week or so by ourselves and include Eilat and Petra. Do you know any tours we can join for just 7 days or a guide who would add to the tour we had just finished.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 05:40 PM

There are Israeli cruise companies, but they cater to the Israeli market. I know a couple people living in Israel who sailed with Mano. By American standards,they wouldn't be considered very luxurious.They don't cruise Israel itself (that would only take one day) and probably due to diplomatic and financial reasons there doesn't seem any push for them to try to expand to a larger group.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 06:40 AM

I have two suggestions for going to Petra from Israel:

1. Arrance for one of the Jordanian tour companies (Petra Moon or JDS or some other). to meet you on the Jordanian side of the border crossing from Eilat and transport you to Petra and back. Stay at a hotel at or near Petra-tour company can arrange.

2. If you only need a day trip or even a two day trip to Petra, you hotel in Eilat should be able to direct you to a
tour company in Eilat to take you. Inquire when you make your reservations at the hotel if this can be done.

I have been looking into a combined trip for 2012 but I think we will come back from Amman rather than going back to Israel at the end of trip using Delta.

I suggest that you start another post with a better heading. Lots of folks do this trip to Petra and should be able to give you the benefit of their experiences.

Pat
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 08:14 AM

If you wish to stay on after the portion your children are paying for, ask them to provide info of their tour operator/guide who is handling that.

The tour operator and/or guide can then provide you info on transport to Eilat (short flight); also including side-trip to Petra, so you can pursue directly.