Search

Family Trip to Kenya

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Trip to Kenya

We are investigating alternatives for a 7-8 day experience. We are a family that enjoys the outdoors and are not looking for anything fancy -- just clean & comfortable accommations, with activities that will keep the kids (and us) busy and happy. Leaning towards Kenya as our general destination.

Does anyone know anything about Graduate Tours trips?

Besides Masai Mara, what other destinations are most highly recommended, particularly for elementary-aged kids?

Thank you!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Never heard of Graduate.

Nairobi has the Giraffe Center where you can feed/touch giraffes. There is Sheldrick Wildlife Trust too.

You may want to visit some villages or schools. Ask your travel agent as these are everywhere.

Samburu and Lewa Downs have camel riding safaris that last a few hours. Other places may as well.

You can pick accommodations with pools.

You'll want a private safari or a family departure trip.

Check these threads for Kenya family safaris
http://www.porini.com/gamewatchers/s...ome_index.html
Gamewatchers has been used with success by Fodorites

http://www.kiboguides.com/safariShow.php?safId=58
Not much has been posted on using Kibo

Check this thread for Tanzania family safaris
http://www.thomsonsafaris.com/sa_family.shtml
Thomson’s has been used with success. They are a higher end option.

Have fun.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 04:05 PM

I think this link is what was intended (you need the whole lot)

http://www.porini.com/gamewatchers/s...ily_safari.htm

They use Intrepids which have a reputation of being good with kids. You can do the same itinerary with any reputable company but I'm sure it's a good idea to take a safari specifically advertised as being for kids. Everyone will say "no problem" in Kenya but you need to understand that this does not always mean "no problem". I think basic, clean and comfortable is an option Kenya unfortunately generally lacks.

One thing I note about Graduate tours is that in counting days they count from when you leave home to when you arrive home. The last day of their 8-day itinerary is spent in the air and your home country, at your own expense. There are only 4 nights on safari.

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Sory, click on the bottom of the two links or copy and paste the whole lot - fun with frames!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! I did notice the 'shortened' itinerary, but pricing still looked reasonable... Will definitely look into family-reputable companies, though. Thanks for the tip!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:37 AM

I went on a family safari with my 12 year old son using Thomson's. It consisted of only parents and children. Actually there were only five in our group. I thought it was perfect since we also got to spend time at a school and in several Masai villages. We visited with one of the guide's families and had a meal at his home. I believe that game drives only can be lengthy for school age children.
Lorraine
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:50 AM

I know this might be a little late, but here's my 2 cents worth.

Kenya was great - particularly Masai Mara, but we saw tons of elephants in Ambeselli also. The Giraffe center is also great for kids but that's just an hour or so.

I wouldn't recommend Graduate Tours - they sent us out in a van with the four wheel drive broken (we only had rear wheel), two bald tires (which we didn't notice until they punctured), and two spares which didn't fit the safari van. We spent a total of 12 hours on 4 different occasions waiting for the car to be fixed.

Graduate tours also had problems getting the lodges they promised us. Even though we booked almost a year in advance, and they told us we would have no problems booking the lodges we reserved, they changed our lodges at the last minute and had us staying in tented lodges. The tents were kind of fun, especially for a couple days, but they weren't as nice as the lodges, and the food wasn't as good.

I would look for a different tour company.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, lmp,

where are you starting from? 7-8 days isn't very long to recover from jetlag, acclimatise, etc., especially with "elementary aged" kids. [assuming this means 12 and younger, and that you are coming from the US].

if this is really all the time you have, I would seriously consider looking for something closer to home.

we just did 12 nights/14 days in south africa with our 2 kids aged 16 & 19, starting from the UK, so no jet-lag problems. Even so, this is the absolute minimum time I would consider for a trip of this type - 3 weeks would have been much better.

just my two-pen'oth

regards, ann