Search

Linda's packing list works!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linda's packing list works!

Did a trial run with our bags to the local airport and we are 25 lbs and 31 lbs (limit is 33 lbs. We stuck very closely to her list and are sighing with relief! Thanks to everyone on the forum for all their advice. On another topic...a great movie suggestion for travellers to Kenya - The White Masai - lots of great scenery.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 01:34 PM

I'm glad to see it worked for you, Kathy! I was over so we must have heavier stuff, as I stuck to the list this year too. I swear it's the 'guy' stuff Jim brings - batteries, monopods, camera gadgets, etc. that keeps putting us over! I always think that kind of stuff can go in the camera bag, but with all his lenses, I guess not.

You are off and away soon, aren't you? Sometime in Sept if I recall?
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 02:27 PM

LyndaS,

We leave for Stanley wing on the 8th. Right now my sister and I are at 33 pounds each. Question - how did you handle the weight created by the purchases?
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 02:56 PM

We are going in November, our tour company has 26 pound for duffel bag.I always pack to much, but not this time. Hope can get all in we need.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 07:03 PM

jvnoledawg-

You must be really excited - wow, the 8th is coming so fast!

If you get Daniel in Kenya, or Renny in Tanzania please be sure to give them both a BIG hug for me, I miss Daniel so much!

No problem on the purchases as we didn't buy too much either year, I'm not a shopper at heart. But, we were given some items and yes, that did create a bit of added weight! Best thing to do is bring a fold-up back pack with you and put the heavier items in it to walk onto the plane with. I had my purse (bigger than a normal purse, but not too huge) and the backpack, no one complained about me having two carry items. Both were small enough to fit under the seat ahead too, so no problem there, but they were both heavy!.

Mind you once I lifted Imelda's backpack (OnlyMeOirish) when they visited us here, mine was light compared to what she had in hers!

Also, the safari director will take you to the Collectors Den before the safari where you can look - but don't buy yet - wait until you return after the safari and buy then!
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 03:39 AM

hee hee Lynda, That's what happens when you put all that camera gear in your backpack - Jim's smart putting it in his luggage BUT .... with our history of lost luggsge there's no way I'd take the chance of missing batteries, chargers etc - After all, what good would the cameras be without the rest

Imelda
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 04:13 AM

To cut down on return weight for lighter bags or for gifts, we have been doing this for years.

We save all underwear, t-shirts, bra's, shorts, shoes, etc. that can be worn once or twice and then given to the locals or thrown out.

Really cuts down on the return weight.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Yes Linda - we fly out Sept 11.
Our plan is also to leave items behind as we travel and replace them with purchases.
Also - saving shopping until back to Nairobi and onwards in Cape Town.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 07:27 AM

I join the kudos for Lynda's list as well. Saved me quite the hassle. As for return weight, depending on where you fly out from you can either:
1. Leave some things with your operator for pick-up on the way back if you are returning to the same place.
2. Leave behind clothing not needed to make room for purchases.
3. Leave behind purchases with operator for pick-up on way back. That's what we did. Purchased lots in Kenya that we left with our driver a swe flew out of Mara into Tanzania. We got them back when we flew back into Kenya for the international flight.

Juliet
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Thanks everyone, and one more question, b/c now I can't remember the rule. Is it 33 lbs in total, or 33 lbs "in the belly" (ie. in the Micato duffel) allowing the backpack and/or other carryon to be excluded from the calculation?

And yes Lynda, I'll give your love to Daniel and Renny!
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:57 PM

jvnoledawg-

The only luggage that was weighed was the Micato duffle, which is why I had the heavy stuff in my backpack

Imelda, good point by the way, we never thought of that!
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 01:28 PM

That's great! I can put back a few things I figured I would have to leave behind. Awesome.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:34 AM

I'll be publishing my trip report on my blog. 10 days and counting...

http://noledawg.blogspot.com/
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Joey, I will follow the blog, looks great! Will you be writing while there, or when you get back?

Wish I could go again!
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 09:37 AM

Thanks. I wouldn't even attempt to update on the road, but given that I'm bringing a journal which I will update daily, I can use that to post when I get back.