Search

Excellent book

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent book

For those who have traveled to Kenya (or other countries in Africa)and have made friends along the way there, I have just started reading an excellent book:

"I Laugh So I Won't Cry", by Helena Halperin.

The author interviewed about 250 Kenyan women to find out what their lives were like.

It is an eye opener. At times you laugh, many times you cry and other times you are furious that people have to live as they do.

Well worth reading.

Jan
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Thanks Jan I looked it up and it looks like something I will really enjoy.
J
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Thanks Jan. I’ll have to read that.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Thanks, Jan, I'll try to get hold of it. BTW, I just finished reading your whole trip report from last year--great! The parts about the elephants were very touching. They seem like gentle giants and have no natural predators, so I had never imagined that they could be tempted to attack cattle. I'm learning more and more from this wonderful site!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

mairsydotes:

The elephant's "predator" has for years been man. My suspicion is that it is because of man that elephants sometimes attack cattle.

I've seen thousands of animals living along side elephants in the parks and have never seen an elephant going after one of them (other than a Mama ele. chasing lions away from her baby). However, when natives are herding their cattle and see an elephant perhaps they start yelling, throwing spears, stones, etc at the elephant thus enraging the elephant to the point of attacking the cattle.

I think you'll enjoy the book. One can't help but wonder how anyone can change people's way of thinking -- to give the women some empowerment so that the next time they are beaten they will do something about it and say enough is enough, to be able to have something of their own that isn't taken away by a husband, to have husbands who are willing to help around the house and with children. When you see Kenyan (?African) women you realize how very hard they work often physically building their home, taking care of the animals and gardens, raise the children, sometimes go miles for water, etc, and you see their men sitting around talking during the day and drinking in the evenings, it makes you realize that African women deserve so much more than they have. I wish more NGO's, churches, the government etc would try to start making a difference for these brave women.

Jan
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. Should be a good one.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Sounds like a worthwhile good read - will check it out.
Thanks Jan;
Sherry
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 05:25 AM

Jan
Thanks for your wonderful information. It seems that you have been deeply involved with African women's issues~something new to me. I am going to buy the book on Amazon today.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

An update:

I have been so moved by this book that I wrote to the managing director of Southern Cross Safaris telling him about the book and suggesting that since he employed several hundred men that perhaps he, and other safaris companies, might start educating their employees against wife/children abuse, HIV, etc.

I got an email from him yesterday stating that his company had indeed just hired a group to come in and deal with all the things highlighted in this book. As he stated, education, education, education is the only way that this will be dealt with. However, someone has to start educating, and I'm glad their company is tackling it. I suggested he convince other safari companies to do the same. I also wrote the Nation suggesting they do a series of articles about spouse abuse and another honoring the hard-working and under-appreciated, Kenyan women. The more this is talked about, and the more the people realize there are better ways of getting their points across, the better off the country will be.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Thank you for this rec - I'm adding it to my list!
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:25 AM

Dear Jan,

Now having worked for KENWA, an organization that cares for people in AIDS, I understand that the real obstacle to AIDS is lack of empowerment of women and children.

KENWA says that the greatest weapon to AIDS is education, vocational training and economic empowerment/independence.

That is why when 148 orphans that KENWA supports were about to miss their final graduating semester becasue KENWA had no money, KENWA's executive director spent her last penney of savings to take out a loan to pay the children's school fees.

It's THAT important. I just wish that I could figure out a way to bridge that mindset to more Americans.

It costs KENWA approximately 30/yr to pay education costs for elemantary schoool. 53/yr for middle sschool, and a whopping 550/yr for high school. that's all that keep them from being educated.

I have a lot of respect for KENWA because it supports 1700 children in school. One of the greatest obstacles this year, $29,650 to buy 1058 school uniforms. It's absolutely tragic.

I read an astonishing figure the other day. Did you know that girls in South Africa have more of a chance of getting raped than they have of learning to read?

Now you see the problem.

I have gone to the ends of the earth to try to recruit volunteers for KENWA, to spread the news about their good and honorable work to stop AIDS. I keep hearing they'd rather support local causes.

People need to understand that the only way to eradicate this crisis is for all of us to give at least one percent of our budget directly to these grassroots organizations like KENWA that are truly working miracles with a ridiculously small amount of money.

KENWA is working to develop a self-sustaining model replicable by AIDS-based organizations world wide by the year 2010, no small task.

As Bono says, "In Africa, 150,000 lives are lost every month. A tsunami every month. A continent is being consumed by flames. Our age will be remembered for
what we did (or did not do) to put the fire out in Africa. —Bono

And as Dr. Martin Luther King said, "The good neighbor looks beyond the external accidents and discerns those inner qualities that make all men human, and therefore, brothers. Through our scientific genius we have made the world a neighborhood; now though our moral and spiritual genius we must make of it a brotherhood. -- Martin Luther King Jr. 1963

Jan, KENWA would be very lucky indeed for you to lend your passion to its cause.

If you will send me your email address at [email protected], I will send you some very compelling information.

I am hearing many of the same sentiments from you that first cause me to help KENWA. As Oprah says, "I've come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that's as unique as a fingerprint - and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and allowing the energy of the universe to lead you."

This from a true hero (Oprah) who has been brave, generous, and forward-thinking enough to show the world what giving to Africa looks like.

And anyone else who's interested in knowing more about this important cause, please write me.

Yours
MC
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

mariacallas:

Thanks so very much for caring as you do. I'll email you separately to learn more about your organization.

We all need to be concerned. Education is the most important but likewise important is a Kenyan court system that will fairly listen and judge the cases. When one routinely reads of adult men raping a three year old baby because they believe if they rape a virgin their HIV will be cured -and then read the courts do nothing - it infuriates.

Jan