Search

Enough Time at JNB?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enough Time at JNB?

Somebody emailed me this question and I didn't want to steer him wrong. Anybody know the answer? Thanks, Dennis

"I am going to S. Africa for New Years. I have an award ticket that has my return flight from JNB-IAD on it but I purchased a seperate ticket for same day travel from Kruger to JNB. With all the schedule changes, I now only have 1hr 50 min to connect (MQP-JNB arrives at 4:35pm, JNB-IAD leaves at 6:25pm). Since I had seperate tickets there is a high possibility that I will need to obtain my luggage on arrival into JNB, walk over to the SAA check-in, recheck in (we are flying business back to the US), get thru security and get on our plane.

In your experience, how long does the check-in and security process take at JNB? Are there any fast track lines for people in business to get thru security? Any general thoughts about the itinery I have described?"
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 04:57 PM

If the MQP-JNB flight is on SAA (or SAA Express), then he should be able to check in all the way through (including bags checked through) from Nelspruit.

If traveling on a different carrier MQP-JNB, 1h50m would be enough time, as long as the incoming flight is on time.

There will be little or no wait at check-in (for business class), neither would there likely be any significant wait at immigration and initial security. However, flights to the US and to the UK have a second security check at the gate, and this can hold things up a bit. (At the gate security check, no priority is given to class of service.)
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:52 AM
sandi

Our experience was a bit different. First, we had left our main luggage with our tour operator in JNB, taking only a small bag with us to Kruger, so had to collect the larger bag once deplaning at domestic terminal before heading to international.

Our small bag could not be thru-checked to the States, even flying from Kruger on SAA Express and continuing on SAA to JFK.

That said, our international flight departure was 8pm, we arrived from Kruger at JNB 6:05pm, our small bag came off the plane in a few minutes. We hooked up with our outfitter to collect our larger bag and walked to the international check-in.

Though it appears hectic with everyone queuing for all departing flights, they weighed the bags, then all bags being checked were searched, then with bags to an agent for tagging and our boarding passes. From there thru Immigration into departure terminal. Exchanged ZAR to USD, made a few purchases and walked to our gate.

Here, two lines - one for men, one for women, everyone patted down, all carryon bags searched, then boarded.

We had time (about 30/min) to spare before backing off from the gate. So 1/hr 50/min is doable.

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Wow. I just found the time to go to Fodors to post this myself and see you have done it and have already received replies. THANKS. (I was the one who asked matniksym the question).

I have also written customer service to see if they will change me to an eariler flight without charge (slim chance, right?) since the changes were on their end.

But... it appears I'll be fine if I leave Kruger on time. My anxiety level has decreased one notch.

Anyone else who has differing experiences in JNB, please let me know.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:55 AM

I checked in at Comair at Livingstone, was flying them to JNB, then BA to LHR, then UA to SFO. First the Livingstone man said he could only check to LHR. I said no, that wouldn't work. He said he needed the UA ticketing info, he and his colleague figured out how to check the bags all the way. I was very calm and persistent. It believe it can always be done; they have to know how; you have to encourage them. You need the ticket number and the flight number - if you have only an e reservation, make sure you have all those details.

Sylvia