Egypt weather in December

Apr 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Egypt weather in December

I'm starting to plan a trip for the second half of December, for Egypt and London. I'll start out on a Cosmos tour through Cairo, Alexandria, Marsa Matruh, then down to Aswan for a cruise up the Nile through Kom Ombo, Esna, Edfu and Luxor, then back to Cairo and on to London.

When I look up weather online, I get temperatures of 50's-70's (F), but pictures from December trips show people in shorts and a tank top. What is the weather really like in these places? I would hate to pack for blistering heat, if it doesn't even usually top 80.

Thanks for any help
Apr 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM

This is from TripAdvisor, regarding Aswan:

The coldest months of the year on average are December and January, during which time the daily high temperatures will reach the low to mid 70’s. The nighttime temperatures during these months will generally drop to the lower 50’s. On occasion, a few times a year, it will get cold enough during the night for frost to cover the city.

And regarding Cairo:

The best times to visit Egypt are from September till March, during which time the weather is good; and from September till mid-November, when it is very nice and the temperatures are pleasant for all activities - around 25 C to 15 C. Mid-Nov till the end of February is winter time when temperatures during day are around 12 or 15 degree C, and at night can drop to about 7 or 8 C.
Apr 5th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I didn't think to look at TripAdvisor.

I looked up 30 year average temperatures, but those seemed to contradict pictures I've seen that I know were taken last December. Shorts and a tank top are NOT for weather in the 70's.

This makes packing soooo much easier I was trying to figure out how I was going to pack for two very different climates.
Apr 5th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Cairo temps should be cooler and comfy*, but expect even 70-degrees to feel rather hot when out at the Pyramids, Sphinx, Memphia and Sakkara, where you're in the open and sun beating down.

*evenings can be quite chilly needing a jacket/coverup; while walking length shorts and tank tops are often seen out at the desert sights, in Cairo proper you should cover legs and arms.

The farther south you travel to "upper" Egypt - Luxor, Aswan and Abu Simbel, the hotter it gets. Again even if the day time temps are indicated at 70-degress, be prepared for much much hotter with the sun hitting you straight on and little place to take cover. So it's not surprising that you saw photos with visitors in shorts and tank tops while sightseeing at temples along the Nile. Even with warm/hot days, when cruising, nighttime temps can actually drop 20-30/degrees when outside on the top deck... a jacket or sweater required.

That said, weather is weather... gotta be prepared. You will require different cloths in Egypt than for London.
Apr 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM

<>

It really depends on where you are from. I have friends from Alaska and the UK that wear this sort of thing at that temp!

Anyway - think layers! That's the best way to handle the warmer days and much cooler nights.
Apr 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

I'm definitely thinking layers and clothes that can multi-task. Khakis are lighter than jeans, but would keep my legs covered (I burn ridiculously fast, even through spf 70), and I could wear those on the Nile cruise at dinner. It doesn't sound hot enough that I need to try to find something even lighter weight, like linen pants. For tops I can wear t-shirts or a tank top and button up. I'll have a sweatshirt and jacket for the London portion and those would work fine for evening/mornings.

Thanks for all of the help
Apr 5th, 2009, 10:38 PM

Actually, after 11 years of living here, I think January and February are usually our coldest months and the weather at night easily gets into the 40's.
In December it is a bit warmer, but I'll have probably brought out my jeans and turtlenecks by then - UNLESS we repeat this last winter which never got cold at all IMHO. I was able to live all winter long without closeing the back balcony door which is where the cats have their bathroom. It was wonderful to never have to bring the litterbox inside all winter long. - probably more information than some people wanted to know.