Egypt Itinerary help

Jan 16th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Egypt Itinerary help

A buddy and I are scheduled to fly into Cairo mid March and spend about seven days in Egypt and was wondering if anyone could help with several questions I have that will help us shape our itinerary...your suggestions and opinions will be much appreciated!!

Okay here they are:

1. What are the affordable/practical options of getting from Cairo To the Luxor oustide of traveling down the Nile?

2. Are accomodations available to stay overnight near the Luxor? How much time should one dedicate to spend there?

3. In between Cairo and the Luxor, are there any "must see" sights ( in the case we take alternative options to the River cruise on the NIle).

4. What can you expect to pay flying from Cairo to the point where you board the Nile Cruise?

5. Is the Mt. Sinai trip worth doing and how would one get there from Cairo and associated costs (depending on the options)?

Thanks for any help!
Jan 17th, 2004, 05:22 AM
sandi

pmschoe -

Give an idea of what type of budget you're thinking of. Affordable is relative. With tourism down in Egypt, you can probably get a full tour for the time you're there at fairly reasonable prices (budget or moderate).

With a tour (not one with other people, but just you and your buddy) they can arrange -
-hotels and sightseeing in Cairo;
-arrange to get you to Luxor by overnight train or fly (you don't cruise from Cairo to Luxor);
-arrange hotel and touring in Luxor;
-a Nile cruise with sightseeing along the way;
-return from Aswan to Cairo.

As to Mt. Sinai, there is bus service from Cairo down to Sharm el Sheik, or you can fly from Luxor or Cairo to Sharm - from where you can do a trip to Mt. Sinai. If you plan a climb, know that to be there for sunrise, the climb starts about 2-3am in the dark, so you need sturdy shoes, flashlight, warm cloths as it is very cold on top in the morning. A lot of people choose to do the afternoon climb and in March it's not as Hot. You can also do a climb in daylight, it's warm on top and you can descend still in light or dusk.

Do a "search" for Egyptian Tour Operators, work with a local in-country company for the better prices.

"MISR" is one of the official government approved agencies; also check: www.egyptonline.com (believe that's the site) to see what these companies can offer. If not exactly what you want, email your requirements and have them put together a proposal to meet your needs.

And buy yourself a guidebook so you know where you're going, what there is to see/visit.

Jan 17th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Sandi,

Thank you for the information and suggestions. I have lots of Marriott miles and was planning on using those where I can (Cairo, Sharm) so I really only need a recommendation for a 3 - 4 star good bang for the buck hotel at the Luxor. My original plan was to not use a guide or tour operator, but perhaps some of the local operators can piece meal the items I need?

Do you think it is advantageous to wait until I arrive in Cairo before booking anything as far as tours for better prices?
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:19 AM
sandi

I cannot recommend hotels. But as far as booking tours once in Cairo - that's a personal decision. I don't like to spend holiday time negotiating on prices for tours.

Best that you get prices from a tour operator prior so you have an idea of what things cost. Have one of the in-country operators put together a proposal without the Marriott hotels you plan on using in Cairo and Sharm - with tours, the transfers between Cairo/Luxor (by overnite train or air) and Luxor/Sharm (air or boat) and Sharm/Cairo (air or bus).

Tours are not expensive to begin with, and sometimes doing it thru some guy on the street can cost more in the long run, when midway, they might ask for more money.

Certainly you can book thru your hotel, which hopefully will be more responsible in providing prices and doing the service properly.

If it costs a few more $$$ to have everything prebooked, those few $$$ are worth knowing I will get to see what I want, when, and have someone to complain to should there be a problem with the service.

Oh, and do make sure the Marriotts have rooms for you when you plan to visit. Get a guidebook for a list of other hotels you need in the 3-4* range and contact them for availability, price and reservations.

Jan 20th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Oh_so_bucko

The Sheraton is a nice hotel in Luxor for a fair price. It's a little out of the way, but I've stayed there 4 times and always found it to be a pretty good deal. The Winter Palace is overrated.

Search this Thread