Search

Egypt and Nile Cruises

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egypt and Nile Cruises

We are going to Egypt in late October with the specific aim of doing a Nile cruise. Can anyone recommend a cruise company? We would like to do a five star cruise with side trips included. Is there a cruise company which starts its tour in Cairo? Thus the trip Cairo/Luxor is included? I would prefer not to fly Egypt Air after an unfortunate experience a few years ago - so I guess the other option is to go by train if the transfer is not included?

Any advice would be appreciated, this is our first trip to Egypt. I have to admit I am a little nervous about the political situation but then if we worry about these things everywhere, no one would travel! We would like to stay at the Four Seasons Hotel or the Oberoi in Cairo. I note that the Oberoi has its own cruises. Does anyone know anything about them?

Many thanks
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 04:39 AM

The Oberoi cruises are quite nice. We were on the Sheharazar a few years ago and it was great (the rooms were incredibly spacious), and I believe the Philae is even better. But there aren't any cruises from Cairo to Luxor (unless you hit it at the time the boats are coming back to Cairo for servicing/maintenance). In general, they cruise between Luxor and Aswan.

Which Four Season are you looking at in Cairo? There are 2....the old one across from the Cairo Zoo and the newer one on the Nile.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

I didn't realise there were two Four Seasons - which would you recommend? I assume the newer one ?

Thank you for your advice re the Oberoi cruises. Do you know if the hotel in Cairo organises transfers to Aswan or Luxor ? I really dont want to fly so would have to try and book the train and presumably that would have to be done before we get there.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:09 AM

I think both of the FS hotels are nice, and altho I haven't stayed in either - I would think that the one along the Nile would be more picturesque. I have eaten at the Thai restaurant in the older one several times and enjoyed the spa and one of the restaurants in the newer one.

I am sure there are some folks on this board who can help you out with differences between the two.

I am not sure how you arrange a train trip to Luxor or Aswan. I would imagine that the hotel could help you and - again - there are a few experts out there who can help as well.

We always flew Egypt Air and never did the train - so can't help there either!!!!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 05:06 AM

Hi Tropical Gal,
I've been doing a lot of research on a trip to Egypt and suggest you get a travel agent to make your arrangements.
There are many recommended travel agents on a site called TourEgypt.net that are in Egypt. In Turkey we found local travel agents can often get reduced prices because they do so much business with the hotels etc. Egypt also has a national travel agency, who's name escapes me at the momment, that has good recommendations in my reasearch. There will be tours that start in Egypt with an overnight sleeper train to Luxor for your cruise.
You can either take a group tour or arrange a tailor made one for you with a private guide in Cairo etc.
Let us know how the trip goes, we're going at the same time of year.
Marian in Brooklyn
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Marian, I actually did find the touregypt site on the net and emailed a request but have heard nothing. In the interim we have decided to do an Expedition with Lindblad as it covers all we want to do and more - and I dont have to fly Egypt Air!! We will be there mid October for 15 days so will let you know how we go - are you going this year?
Thanks to everyone for their advice
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:06 AM
sandi

The Egypt national tour company is MISR. They have offices in the US, believe in NYC.

Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:36 PM

There are no cruises from Cairo to Luxor but the train is fairly comfortable and an interesting experience. You can contact an Egyptian tour company for information. We used Tut Egypt Tours, http://www.tutegypt.com, and would recommend them highly.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:38 AM

If you have your tour booked, then it will be very unlikely to be able to change the itinerary.

But, I agree with sandi, that the national tour company is highly recommended and also, somewhat cheaper.

Also, if you are English speaking (which I assume you are), the the recommended cruise line is Victoria Cruises. In fact, it was rated #1 cruise line on the Nile at one time.

Good luck with your trip. It's as good, if not better, than safari. But, it's extremely hot (October - when we went), so be in good shape and be ready to walk your butts off.......
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the helpful advice - I have lots to work on now and look forward to an interesting experience - albeit a hot one!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:04 PM

Before you go, check to see if you are going during Ramadan - from what posters here have said, if you are it should not be a major problem, but just something you should be aware of. If you are, I would suggest doing a search here to read impressions of others who went during Ramadan - they offer various suggestions.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Tropical Gal,
Depending on how late you will be in October, you will hit the end of Ramadan. The last week will, approximately, extend to at least the 26th of October. This certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't come, just try to make sure you are not staying in a hotel downtown. I'm sitting on the second floor of a hotel downtown right now, and its noisy! Zamalek will be much quieter. And don't worry about the political situation; I arrived in Cairo a few days ago, and have not received any hostility because I'm American. Don't worry, you'll love Cairo!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments re Ramadan. We arrive in Cairo on the 21 October which I believe is the second last day. It will be interesting to observe - I was on Bintan Island in Indonesia during Ramadan a couple of years ago and it wasn't a problem. I realise it may be different in Egypt however. I will check on the forum for advice. Thank you so much - and from all the comments so far I am now looking forward to Cairo - without worrying about the political situation. To say I was dubious before is an understatement! Now to read books and have a crash course in Egyptology...!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Dear Tropical Gal,

Can't wait to hear about your trip...I am taking the Lindblad 10 day trip departing November 7th. Hopefully you can provide some insight, tips and stories of wonderful adventures upon your return!

I have traveled with Lindblad to Galapagos, Alaska & the Baja. If this is your first trip with Lindblad, they run seamless, professional and highly educational adventures. If not, then you know what a wonderful travel company they are.

Looking forward to hearing from you upon your return!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Interesting to hear you are also going with Lindblad - I will most certainly tell you about the trip and give any tips that may be helpful to you. We return to Cairo on 2nd November. We went with Lindblad to St Petersburg and the Swedish Archipelago three years ago and found them to be excellent operators - hence the choice to go with them this time.

Until later - happy days!
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 12:35 PM

bookmarking