Egypt Health Advice

Jan 8th, 2019, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Egypt Health Advice

Hi:
Four of us are going to Egypt at the beginning of February 2019 and are wondering if there are any precautions one can take to avoid traveler's diarrhea. I know there is a new vaccine against EColi that has been approved in the EU and Canada but not yet in the U.S. Does anyone out there have any health advice besides the usual no salad or unpeeled fruit variety? Does anyone have any experience with the EColi vaccine Dukoral?
Thank you!
Jan 9th, 2019, 01:03 PM

We returned from Egypt and Jordan at the end of November. I have a very sensitive stomach and was very concerned about travelling to Egypt. I was very cautious, washed my hands constantly, used hand santitizer when washing was not convinient, especially after handling money, which is often with all the tipping. I also followed the rule "Cook it, Boil it, Peel it or toss it." I also gave up meat for the 3 weeks. I only had an issue once when I didn't follow the rule. My husband who has an iron gut, didn't follow the rule, and had an upset tummy quite a few times. Also if you do get sick, they have an antibiotic called Antinal which works on their bugs, our guide recommended and purchased for us. Dukoral does nothing for me, Mexico, Vietnam ,Cambodia, Laos. So didn't bother this time. We loved Egypt, have a great trip.
Jan 9th, 2019, 01:16 PM

We've used Duk Oral for several trips (including Egypt) and have never had a problem and don't follow strict food rules (neither of us have sensitive tummies it should be said). In addition in areas of particular problems we also take a Pepto Bismol tablet in the morning (not liquid - it turns your tongue black) as that apparently gives your stomach a bit of a fighting chance against bugs. Have a great trip!
Jan 9th, 2019, 07:55 PM

For what it's worth, I who can pretty much count on getting very sick in India, had no problem in most of a month in Egypt, taking no precautions and eating what I wanted. I wouldn't worry, do what you feel you must but enjoy the food, such as it is.
Jan 13th, 2019, 09:53 AM

I am also going to Egypt (Sharm el-Sheikh) in February. I'll take a sanitizer for my hands with me and that's it. No vaccinations do not plan. This is not a wild Africa to get malaria or something else.
Jan 13th, 2019, 10:48 AM

I very rarely get stomach upsets when traveling, but I did in Egypt. I put it down to handling the money, which was absolutely filthy.

See: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...ler/none/egypt
Jan 13th, 2019, 11:38 AM

Gilly, please don't discourage people from getting recommended vaccines. You don't need to be in the wilds to get any of these diseases.

Here is what the cdc says about vaccines:

"Make sure you are up-to-date on routine vaccines before every trip. These vaccines include measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine, varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, polio vaccine, and your yearly flu shot.Hepatitis A: CDC recommends this vaccine because you can get hepatitis A through contaminated food or water in Egypt, regardless of where you are eating or staying.
Typhoid: You can get typhoid through contaminated food or water in Egypt. CDC recommends this vaccine for most travelers, especially if you are staying with friends or relatives, visiting smaller cities or rural areas, or if you are an adventurous eater."
Jan 14th, 2019, 05:20 AM

I've gotten ill twice in my travels (Spain and Peru) and both times I tested positive for a parasite, not E. Coli. I wouldn't get the E. Coli vaccine because in my experience, that's not what I got sick from! The vaccine would only help you for that one specific thing, not the multitude of other things you're exposing yourself to.