Egypt&Jordan in April with OAT

Feb 17th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Egypt&Jordan in April with OAT

My husband and I are going to Egypt and Jordan with OAT leaving 4/2/05. Any other travelers doing that trip? Also if someone has already done it, what did you bring as host gift to family?
Feb 17th, 2005, 04:34 PM
kp

I'd love to hear about your trip when you return. We're doing the same trip in May.
For our 2004 trip to Peru/Eduador I brought chocolate candy (locally made) as gifts for families we visited. It was easy to pack--being flat.

Feb 18th, 2005, 02:01 PM

I am going with OAT, to Egypt, next month.Very excited! I have heard mostly good things about the trip.I will post when I get back. Although you will be just about ready to leave when we get back.
Feb 21st, 2005, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I didn't post a few days ago. I've had my grandson(7) with us and the onlt time I get near the computer is to find things for him.
Yes I'll post a report. I think I might bring some maple syrup made locally as a gift. I't a little heavy, but after it's gone, all the more gifts I can bring back.

Thanks Dottie.
If you think of it, would you take note of the type(s) of electrical adapter needed. We will need to charge batteries for the digital camara.
Feb 21st, 2005, 06:07 AM
kp

Laurie
Rather than bringing the battery charger and adapter for the digital camera I've switched to CRV3 batteries. They last so much longer that AA's. Not all camera's can use them but the e2 (e squared) photo batteries might be just as good. I took over 1,000 photos during our last trip and I think I used 4 batteries (CRV3).
CRV3's look like 2 AA batteries stuck together side by side.
Feb 21st, 2005, 06:16 PM

LaurieDJ,

I am also taking a digital and need to charge batteries. I found adaptor plugs at www.magellans.com They list what is needed for each country.I think Egypt is type D.
Mar 7th, 2005, 04:18 AM
P_M

My parents have expressed interest in visiting Egypt and Jordan in the next year. I looked at OAT's web page but cannot find a tour including both of these countries. Would someone kindly provide a link for me?

Thanks.
Mar 7th, 2005, 04:21 AM

Jordan is either a pre-Egypt or a post-Egypt extension to the main Egyptian trip offered by OAT. Please return tothe OAT web site and check the trip extensions offered; Jordan and Alexandria are extension to the Egyptian trip.
Mar 7th, 2005, 04:56 AM
P_M

OK, thanks, I thought it was all one tour. I'll look again.
Mar 7th, 2005, 04:16 PM
P_M

Thanks, Carla, this looks really interesting and I'll pass this info along. Now I want to join them on this trip. You've given me something to think about.... :-?
Mar 7th, 2005, 05:06 PM
kp

Egypt Highlighlights looks like a great tour. There are many options that I wish the OAT trip included. Train travel is so much nicer than a plane! But my concern is that "All your visits exclude entrance fees" Is that accurate? The company includes a bus to the sites--I find it hard to believe that the entrance fee isn't also included.
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:55 AM
sandi

kp - Yes, it is surprising that the entrance fees aren't included on the EgyptHighlights tour when one considers that the costs are minimal. The highest might be 20EL which at todays conversion rate is less then US$4. But, surprisingly, there are a number of people who don't want to feel obligated to actually visit a site. They look forward to the Nile cruise, but might not want to actually visit the various sites along the way. The same can be said at many sites in Cairo; leave the decision to the individual traveler when they're actually on site - yes or no. Overall the total for all tour entrance fees might be US$50, but by not including these EH probably feel their total price is more competitite. Likewise, EH may have learned over the years, that many who travel with them prefer not to be tied into "have to see, because it's paid for." This is something that visitors have to look for when reviewing various tour operators to any destination.

Mar 8th, 2005, 06:04 AM

One of the most favorite parts of my picture album from a trip to Egypt last year is the last page which is filled with 25 ticket receipts. Each one is different with a picture of the attraction and not all are the same color. I'm probably missing a few including Abu Simbel. The total with those mentioned in the previous post and some from Alexandria is 480LE ($83).
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:37 PM
kp

Thanks for the info. We'll have quite a bit of free time in Cairo as part of a trip we've booked so I'm thrilled that it the cost of additional sightseeing is so reasonable.
If we weren't really "hooked" on OAT trips I'd give Egypt Highlights a closer look.
Apr 1st, 2005, 05:21 AM

I just got back fro my OAT trip to Egypt. It was awesome. You will have a wonderful time.

You don't need to bring gifts for the host family. They are paid by OAT. I think someone in our group did bring candy.But our guide was suprised that we were told to bring something. Money is best for the school if you want to give something. They do take donations.

Have a great time!
Apr 8th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Dottie - would love to hear more about your trip. How about a trip report?
Apr 8th, 2005, 02:23 PM

althom1122,

We have been talking quite abit about our trip under posting "touring Egypt in March, a lot of questions,what to pack,money,visa questions.I Hope you find it helpful.
Apr 9th, 2005, 11:24 AM

What am I doing wrong? I tried searching on touring Egypt in March and the item Dottie mentions doesn't come up. (Three or four others do, but nothing with that title.) Can anyone supply the link? Thanks!
Apr 9th, 2005, 11:24 AM

DUH! Never mind! I saw the thread as soon as I posted my previous!
Apr 21st, 2005, 12:07 PM

My husband and I are going on the same trip later in the year. We leave on November 6. Anyone else? I saw a post from fellow traveler "wanderlust5," but haven't reached her/him yet.

Write what you can when you return?

Search this Thread